4th quarter play calling!

I get the whole "work on the clock" mindset...but to just completely "tank it" ????? I'm not saying try to hang 60 on an opponent...but these kids work to hard to be completely handcuffed offensively the entire 4th qtr. not to mention putting Dobbs at unnecessary risks running three times in a row from the 10 yard line. The fans who traveled also deserve more for there time and money. Very frustrating nod concerning.

U r a huge idioit fool ignorant igniramous dummy

Reactions: 3 people
By my observation, our Vols played an awesome game! The 4th quarter lineups on defense and offence were very different than the first three. Many players got snaps that would have never been in the game, had the score been closer. My advice to you 1truevol would be to pay closer attention to the game and who's actually playing. :D

Let me share something with u big guy...I haven't missed a single snap in 20 plus years. I could probably tell u more about our line ups on each and every series...names and even high school stats that you'd have to look up in your program to find. I don't need your suggestions or advice. Im sure it's past your bed time....so why don't you go on to sleep.

Yeah....it makes a lot more sense to repeatedly go 3 and out...kill no clock...punt...and give up 3 TDs! Genius!
If you remember "genius" they got a couple of turnovers off interceptions. You want Dobbs flinging the ball around in the 4th quarter?

Leave it to VN to find something to whine about.... Give me a break OP.
It's not about trying to find something to b!tch about. The game just before ours saw Pitt blowing out Houston into the 4th Qtr by a similar margin....only to watch it dwindle rapidly right before their eyes and lose.

Heck, the very same thing happened with Baylor a few days earlier. They had the game well in hand, having blown Mich St out. Their defense gave up a TD, then an onsides kick...then they have an easy field goal blocked > ball is run back deep into Baylor territory. Mich St. scores a TD and win the game by a point.

So, the OP's point is just as a player is supposed to wait until they cross the goal line before they drop the ball and celebrate, Bajakian needs to do as CBJ always preaches...FINISH. Don't stop mashing the gas until there are only 5 or fewer minutes left in the game.

Bajakian did the same thing in the Vandy game, and we didn't have much of a lead. 3 predictable runs up the middle > punt. 3 runs up the middle > punt. If Iowa is still going all out to score, then so should we.

Sure, I'm glad we won, but that sort of practice has been occurring frequently, with Bajakian....laying it down in the 4th Qtr. I applaud CBJ showing a little class, rather than trying to run it up, but it's the timing of it. Don't want to make the same mistake Pitt and Baylor made and lose a game we otherwise have in the bag, going forward.

Reactions: 2 people
Absolutely no point in running up the score today. Iowa played with class, we showed class in return.
No, they didn't. After it was clear we not only let off the gas, but basically ceded the ball to them with 3 predictable runs up the middle > punt....they kept going all out to try and score as much as they could. Even kicking onsides after we let up.

Reactions: 1 person
Running the ball is not the problem, it was who was running. Let Lane run it not Dobbs. A few first downs would have helped but it still turned out okay.

I get the whole "work on the clock" mindset...but to just completely "tank it" ????? I'm not saying try to hang 60 on an opponent...but these kids work to hard to be completely handcuffed offensively the entire 4th qtr. not to mention putting Dobbs at unnecessary risks running three times in a row from the 10 yard line. The fans who traveled also deserve more for there time and money. Very frustrating nod concerning.

Volnation license should be revoked.

It's not about trying to find something to b!tch about. The game just before ours saw Pitt blowing out Houston into the 4th Qtr by a similar margin....only to watch it dwindle rapidly right before their eyes and lose.

Heck, the very same thing happened with Baylor a few days earlier. They had the game well in hand, having blown Mich St out. Their defense gave up a TD, then an onsides kick...then they have an easy field goal blocked > ball is run back deep into Baylor territory. Mich St. scores a TD and win the game by a point.

So, the OP's point is just as a player is supposed to wait until they cross the goal line before they drop the ball and celebrate, Bajakian needs to do as CBJ always preaches...FINISH. Don't stop mashing the gas until there are only 5 or fewer minutes left in the game.

Bajakian did the same thing in the Vandy game, and we didn't have much of a lead. 3 predictable runs up the middle > punt. 3 runs up the middle > punt. If Iowa is still going all out to score, then so should we.

Sure, I'm glad we won, but that sort of practice has been occurring frequently, with Bajakian....laying it down in the 4th Qtr. I applaud CBJ showing a little class, rather than trying to run it up, but it's the timing of it. Don't want to make the same mistake Pitt and Baylor made and lose a game we otherwise have in the bag, going forward.
Exactly my point or points. Very well put! I....like all of us am pumped to get the win. The 4th qtr simply should've been handled differently. GO VOLS

Exactly my point or points. Very well put! I....like all of us am pumped to get the win. The 4th qtr simply should've been handled differently. GO VOLS
Yep...the score was 42-7 mid-way through the 3rd Qtr. We started letting up about that point and Iowa took advantage of it, to either sneak back into the game or save face.

Again, I understand CBJ having a little class the last few minutes of the game, but not for the entire 4th Qtr...not after what happened with Baylor and Pitt.

If I was a college coach I would never take my foot off the gas. Maybe go slower and run more clock but never stop trying to score. No lead is safe in college football anymore. I'm sure Pittsburg thought there was no chance they would lose when they were up 31-6 in the 4th quarter today.
I sorta of agree. And I was apprehensive about winning, all said and done we took care of business.

Yep...the score was 42-7 mid-way through the 3rd Qtr. We started letting up about that point and Iowa took advantage of it, to either sneak back into the game or save face.

Again, I understand CBJ having a little class the last few minutes of the game, but not for the entire 4th Qtr...not after what happened with Baylor and Pitt.

TKjr prevented it from happening

You're spot on. Very proud and happy for the players though.....they deserve this win. Should serve as added motivation for a strong off season.

STFU.

Fans got every penny's worth. True class gives the losers some freebies as a "thanks for coming out."

Just gtfo

Running the ball is not the problem, it was who was running. Let Lane run it not Dobbs. A few first downs would have helped but it still turned out okay.

(Sorry ahead of time, orangegrass, if it looks like I'm saying this to you; I'm really just using your post as a jumping off point.)

I would have been perfectly all right with Dobbs running if the plays hadn't been modified victory formation plays with no chance of success. Just run the running plays, for goodness sakes. And, yes, if you get to 3rd and 8, throw a short pass. Nobody's saying launch a bunch of deep balls, just try to keep the chain's moving.

And... how ridiculous to think we can't be absolutely thrilled with the performance, thrilled with what it might mean going into next year, and still irritated by the majority of the 4th.

(Sorry ahead of time, orangegrass, if it looks like I'm saying this to you; I'm really just using your post as a jumping off point.)

I would have been perfectly all right with Dobbs running if the plays hadn't been modified victory formation plays with no chance of success. Just run the running plays, for goodness sakes. And, yes, if you get to 3rd and 8, throw a short pass. Nobody's saying launch a bunch of deep balls, just try to keep the chain's moving.

And... how ridiculous to think we can't be absolutely thrilled with the performance, thrilled with what it might mean going into next year, and still irritated by the majority of the 4th.

Your post sums it up perfectly... Prepare to be thrashed for having a contrary opinion...

Here's a 3 game comparison of UT-Iowa, Houston-Pitt, and Baylor-MSU at the end of the third quarter (The 4th quarter is when MSU and Houston make their comebacks).

Scores at the end of the third quarter:

MSU down by 20
Houston down by 18
Iowa down by 35

Notice how MSU and Houston were down by 3 scores, while Iowa was down by 5 scores? Don't get me wrong, MSU and Houston's comebacks were great. However, the deficits weren't as big as Iowa's was. It would have taken divine intervention for Iowa to comeback and win the game, let alone make it competitive at that point in the game.

If anyone was actually concerned about Iowa coming back in the 4th quarter, all i have to say is wow.

Reactions: 2 people
Here's a 3 game comparison of UT-Iowa, Houston-Pitt, and Baylor-MSU at the end of the third quarter (The 4th quarter is when MSU and Houston make their comebacks).

Scores at the end of the third quarter:

MSU down by 20
Houston down by 18
Iowa down by 35

Notice how MSU and Houston were down by 3 scores, while Iowa was down by 5 scores? Don't get me wrong, MSU and Houston's comebacks were great. However, the deficits weren't as big as Iowa's was. It would have taken divine intervention for Iowa to comeback and win the game, let alone make it competitive at that point in the game.

If anyone was actually concerned about Iowa coming back in the 4th quarter, all i have to say is wow.

I don't know about other folks, but I wasn't concerned with them coming back. I was concerned with a blowout still looking like a blowout when you look at the final numbers. If part of the whole "it's a process" thinking means learning how to be a championship team, then it also means learning that effecting the perception of pollsters or committee members or the press who didn't actually see the game is part of being a championship team. It doesn't mean rubbing it in, it just means that a blowout still looks like a blowout at the end.

I don't know about other folks, but I wasn't concerned with them coming back. I was concerned with a blowout still looking like a blowout when you look at the final numbers. If part of the whole "it's a process" thinking means learning how to be a championship team, then it also means learning that effecting the perception of pollsters or committee members or the press who didn't actually see the game is part of being a championship team. It doesn't mean rubbing it in, it just means that a blowout still looks like a blowout at the end.

Honestly, we could have beaten Iowa by 1 point, and I'd still be as happy as I am now. I really don't give a damn about blowouts. All I care about is W's and L's, and that's ultimately what the press, pollsters, and committee members care about the most.

Honestly, we could have beaten Iowa by 1 point, and I'd still be as happy as I am now. I really don't give a damn about blowouts. All I care about is W's and L's, and that's ultimately what the press, pollsters, and committee members care about the most.

If what you say is true, then Florida State would have been the number one seed. They weren't.

VN Store

Back