4th quarter play calling!

I think Butch just didn't want to run up the score on a already beaten opponent. That is what you class and honorable; that is Tennessee.

Yep...the score was 42-7 mid-way through the 3rd Qtr. We started letting up about that point and Iowa took advantage of it, to either sneak back into the game or save face.

Again, I understand CBJ having a little class the last few minutes of the game, but not for the entire 4th Qtr...not after what happened with Baylor and Pitt.

I agree....after watching the Pitt game the slow play in teh 4th quarter was starting to concern me....nothing wrong with running the score we could've had at least 2 more touchdowns.

The only thing that left me scratching my head was the 3 straight designed QB keepers in the red zone. That made no sense to me. Besides that I was fine with the play calling.

Reactions: 1 person
:bad::bad:1truevol: You have got to be kidding. We won the damned game convincingly and you still found something to complain about.:crazy:

Relax and have a pickle! It might improve the taste you have in your negative mouth.

I get the whole "work on the clock" mindset...but to just completely "tank it" ????? I'm not saying try to hang 60 on an opponent...but these kids work too hard to be completely handcuffed offensively the entire 4th qtr. not to mention putting Dobbs at unnecessary risk ...ex. running him three times in a row from the 10 yard line. The fans who traveled also deserve more for there time and money. Very frustrating and concerning.

1trueidiot!!!!!! Punch yourself in the face,please!!! GOVOLS!

I was there glad they called off the dogs before we got someone hurt. Iowa was getting chippy. Go Vols!

I get the whole "work on the clock" mindset...but to just completely "tank it" ????? I'm not saying try to hang 60 on an opponent...but these kids work too hard to be completely handcuffed offensively the entire 4th qtr. not to mention putting Dobbs at unnecessary risk ...ex. running him three times in a row from the 10 yard line. The fans who traveled also deserve more for there time and money. Very frustrating and concerning.

Butch will NEVER be the type of coach to run the score up on an opponent. He has too much respect for his fellow coaches. It's just NOT his style to run it up or beat them down!

How back and sit back and enjoy the team that I love compete and be allowed to fight their a$$ off from start to finish... because they've earned that opportunity. Players want to play/compete...not go into a shell for an entire quarter.

Your line of thinking just is so small minded. Put me on ignore and block me please so I don't have to associate with a scarecrow. Go cheer for bama. You sound like those idiots from elephantville.

What we have here is a loss of confidence. For those of us older then 30 we have seen this in athletics, the work place, and life in general. Very seldom does this work out well for those infected without a change of scenery.

They can not watch a football game for the excitement and entertainment instead they will focus on their perceived negative to reinforce their position. These people act out in ways to try and influence those around them to their way of thinking

Confidence is not saying; “I’m only negative when we lose.”

Confidence is not saying; “we could have lost” when we pull back on the reins when we are dominating another team on the field and scoreboard.

I think Butch just didn't want to run up the score on a already beaten opponent. That is what you class and honorable; that is Tennessee.

But this guy already said he wants him to be like Jimbo and Saten. Saban is a great coach but so was Bear and I would want neither.

How back and sit back and enjoy the team that I love compete and be allowed to fight their a$$ off from start to finish... because they've earned that opportunity. Players want to play/compete...not go into a shell for an entire quarter.

From what I saw, the players were VERY happy with the game and the results. Let it go.

Someone always find a way to whine. 4th quarter, I believed the staff put seniors and back ups on defense. He even let Aaron Medley get a field goal in a bowl, which will go a long way in his career. They kicked tail yesterday. If you wanna whine, be a Vandy fan.

Let me ask u this fellow posters.....do you think any of the four "playoff coaches" would've called the 4th quarter the way Butch and Co. did????? I rest my case.

Do I think Saban would have taken his foot off of the gas? Yes, he has done that with us before under Dools but nice try and so did Oregon after they thrashed us twice.

I agree that we shut it down completely in the 4th and wanted to keep them from scoring, but anyone and everyone who even watched 5 min of that game knew we flat ROLLED these guys.... the only complaint I have is once they dumped the gatoraide, we completely stopped and let them score that final TD... its OK though

Looking at the Hawkeye boards they were mad at the 4th quarter play calling too. They said once we started just running the ball it was like we were "patting them on the head and saying good try" lol

CBJ is a classy guy who wants to be a good example for his players to follow. He's developing a culture/ example for these young men to follow. Football will only last a short time but your reputation will follow you forever. Responsible parents of prospective recruits take notice of such things.
I think it's very obvious that he knows exactly what he's doing.
With that said, Special things are in store for the future of Volnation.
We really should think about sitting back and enjoying what's happening here. I think we have much much more than just a good football coach and recruiter at the helm. GBO !!

The only think I agree with on your post is that I also question why the hell Dobbs was running designed QB runs in the 4th Q with an insurmountable lead. But to take away the focus on a good win that we needed and to focus solely on the negative???

Do I think Saban would have taken his foot off of the gas? Yes, he has done that with us before under Dools but nice try and so did Oregon after they thrashed us twice.
Oregon could have easily put up 100 on us last year, but didn't.

VN Store

Back