2025 sec opponents released

Can someone tell me what's the big deal about going to a 9 game schedule? I'm not being smart or rude with the question. I genuinely been out of loop and don't know why it's a big deal to so many . Ilisten to locked on vols a lot and he wants it for sure but he never explained or maybe I missed why we have to do it .
With no more divisions, it's the only way to make the 3 permanent rival schedule work. The math doesn't work on an 8 game conference schedule. Everyone will have 1 permanent rival in that setup. Ours will be Vandy and we'll lose the 3rd Saturday in October as a yearly game. Other teams will lose rivalries as well.

With no more divisions, it's the only way to make the 3 permanent rival schedule work. The math doesn't work on an 8 game conference schedule. Everyone will have 1 permanent rival in that setup. Ours will be Vandy and we'll lose the 3rd Saturday in October as a yearly game. Other teams will lose rivalries as well.
They aren't going to get rid of the rivalries, that would devalue the product too much. Instead, they just won't rotate the non-rivalries perfectly evenly. Every one will still see non-rivals WAY more frequently than under the old set up.

Thanks

Reactions: JCHateSteve
They aren't going to get rid of the rivalries, that would devalue the product too much. Instead, they just won't rotate the non-rivalries perfectly evenly. Every one will still see non-rivals WAY more frequently than under the old set up.
So far they haven't even floated that idea. 2024 and 2025 is a stall to try to get ESPN to pay for 9 games. If not it looks like we will get 1 permanent and 7 rotating. Unless you have seen something I haven't?

So far they haven't even floated that idea. 2024 and 2025 is a stall to try to get ESPN to pay for 9 games. If not it looks like we will get 1 permanent and 7 rotating. Unless you have seen something I haven't?
No, but they'll just keep stalling rather than scrap so many historic rivalries, it doesn't make sense to sacrifice these games that put eyeballs on the screen just so Tennessee can play Texas &M twice in 4 years instead of 1 or 2 times in 4-5 years. I called the stall tactic before it was announced for 2024 too.

If they don't reach an agreement and there is no further expansion, we'll see a schedule something like this for 2026-27

Alabama
Kentucky
Vanderbilt

And then 5 of the remaining 7:

Texas
Texas A&M
South Carolina
Ole Miss
Auburn
Missouri
LSU

And then they'll flip flop them home and away. That will mean we played 13 out of the 15 other teams twice in 4 years, and we'll get the 2 we missed on the next go round. That's a lot less pain to the SEC's product and its fans that scraping the TSIO or Auburn-Georgia or LSU-Ole Miss, etc. It's also basically how the SEC schedule was pre-divisions, you played your rivals and fit everyone else in as best you could.

No, but they'll just keep stalling rather than scrap so many historic rivalries, it doesn't make sense to sacrifice these games that put eyeballs on the screen just so Tennessee can play Texas &M twice in 4 years instead of 1 or 2 times in 4-5 years. I called the stall tactic before it was announced for 2024 too.

If they don't reach an agreement and there is no further expansion, we'll see a schedule something like this for 2026-27

Alabama
Kentucky
Vanderbilt

And then 5 of the remaining 7:

Texas
Texas A&M
South Carolina
Ole Miss
Auburn
Missouri
LSU

And then they'll flip flop them home and away. That will mean we played 13 out of the 15 other teams twice in 4 years, and we'll get the 2 we missed on the next go round. That's a lot less pain to the SEC's product and its fans that scraping the TSIO or Auburn-Georgia or LSU-Ole Miss, etc. It's also basically how the SEC schedule was pre-divisions, you played your rivals and fit everyone else in as best you could.
I guess I don't trust the conference to put that effort in to do custom schedules every year. You'll also have SOS problems.

They killed rivalries when they went to conference play. It wouldn't suprise me if the conference let it go to one rival in order to force ESPN's hand either. The contract is in place for now no matter what the 8 games are.

Last edited:
I'd like to see us try to buy out the NC St game this year and the Syracuse game next year. Just our luck that Cuse hires a dynamic new coach right before we play them. DW should also cancel the Nebraska series as well. With the expanded playoffs, there is no benefit at all to playing a team capable of beating us. Look at Mizzou and Ole Miss's schedules this year. Either of them go 10-2 and they are in the playoffs. We just need to figure out the easiest path to 10-2.

Just NO!

Last time we opened the season against Syracuse turned out pretty darn good!

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
ESPN/Mouse House is also gonna suffer as Cable/Sat. decline and that guaranteed cash from those entities fade away. It will be interesting to see if the Normie fan will pay a ESPN Subscription fee to watch Games. Streaming has been a Financial bust with really only Netflix being profitable and Hulu. I discount Amazon because they a delivery service that dabbles in streaming. Disney Plus/HBOmax/AppleTV/Peacock/Paramount plus all are still not above water. Those companies would have been smarter to create content and then sell it to Netflix but they all wanted to compete and now they are learning they can't.
That’s why they are trying to do a joint venture on a direct to consumer sports streaming service with the other big networks.

VN Store

Back