2025 sec opponents released

I’m sorry but it being the same teams just flipped home and away is stupid.
They have to acquiesce to those Texas schools and Lane Kiffin to ensure they get the easiest schedules.

SEC is stuck with the 8 game schedule until ESPN agrees to pay more for 9. Right now, they’re not willing to pay more money. If SEC teams go to 9 games. That’s 9 more losses to conference teams that could remove some from Bowl games or even CDP which would reduce $ to each conference school. It’s also potentially 1 less home game every 2 yrs I don’t see schools agreeing to less money but play more SEC games. Unfortunately the ball is in ESPN, & Disney’s, court.

SEC is stuck with the 8 game schedule until ESPN agrees to pay more for 9. Right now, they’re not willing to pay more money. If SEC teams go to 9 games. That’s 9 more losses to conference teams that could remove some from Bowl games or even CDP which would reduce $ to each conference school. It’s also potentially 1 less home game every 2 yrs I don’t see schools agreeing to less money but play more SEC games. Unfortunately the ball is in ESPN, & Disney’s, court.
It will eventually be 10 games whenever expansion is all said and done. Honestly it should be 10 right now anyways.

I think that Sankey is hoping (rightfully so) that the ratings for the games this year show that ESPN will want to come up w/ the extra $$ for the 9 game schedule. UGA at Bama and Texas will be huge primetime games. I don’t know that there is a bad week in the SEC this season. There’s not gonna be a Kentucky at Mizzou weekend that would’ve been the CBS 3:30 previously. Every weekend looks like it will be appointment television in the SEC this season.

Reactions: wmcovol
I think that Sankey is hoping (rightfully so) that the ratings for the games this year show that ESPN will want to come up w/ the extra $$ for the 9 game schedule. UGA at Bama and Texas will be huge primetime games. I don’t know that there is a bad week in the SEC this season. There’s not gonna be a Kentucky at Mizzou weekend that would’ve been the CBS 3:30 previously. Every weekend looks like it will be appointment television in the SEC this season.
You are most likely correct. The biggest thing working against Sankey thou is Disney has told ESPN that they "gotta start making their way" (they have been in Disney's pocket for awhile now). I suspect once ESPN starts making money, Disney spins them off for a massive profit.

You are most likely correct. The biggest thing working against Sankey thou is Disney has told ESPN that they "gotta start making their way" (they have been in Disney's pocket for awhile now). I suspect once ESPN starts making money, Disney spins them off for a massive profit.
ESPN has been in decline for years and Disney said they are looking to sell stakes in the company last year. People want to watch sports on ESPN, not politics. They messed up allowing their employees talk about that stuff. If people want to watch that stuff then they watch on of the news outlets. ESPN investing in the CFP and SEC was probably the best move they could have done to save viewership. There is also a sub licensing clause in their CFP contract that would allow them to outsource playoff games (ie the ones that would get the worse ratings) to CBS, FOX, NBC, Apple, etc. They would still own the rights to the playoff games wholly but could pick and choose which ones they would want to part with on broadcasting.

ESPN has been in decline for years and Disney said they are looking to sell stakes in the company last year. People want to watch sports on ESPN, not politics. They messed up allowing their employees talk about that stuff. If people want to watch that stuff then they watch on of the news outlets. ESPN investing in the CFP and SEC was probably the best move they could have done to save viewership. There is also a sub licensing clause in their CFP contract that would allow them to outsource playoff games (ie the ones that would get the worse ratings) to CBS, FOX, NBC, Apple, etc. They would still own the rights to the playoff games wholly but could pick and choose which ones they would want to part with on broadcasting.
I do wish that the CFP was spread out among multiple networks . I think it would create a lot more transparency. I feel the same way w/ the SEC being exclusively on ESPN/ABC. The accessibility that the B1G has now w/ Fox, CBS and NBC is pretty impressive.

Reactions: VolPack22
I'd like to see us try to buy out the NC St game this year and the Syracuse game next year. Just our luck that Cuse hires a dynamic new coach right before we play them. DW should also cancel the Nebraska series as well. With the expanded playoffs, there is no benefit at all to playing a team capable of beating us. Look at Mizzou and Ole Miss's schedules this year. Either of them go 10-2 and they are in the playoffs. We just need to figure out the easiest path to 10-2.
If you can’t beat NC State and Syracuse then you do not deserve to be in the playoffs anyway. What makes you think that if you play patsies and get into the playoffs you are going to win playoff games? Weak mentality at its best.

I do wish that the CFP was spread out among multiple networks . I think it would create a lot more transparency. I feel the same way w/ the SEC being exclusively on ESPN/ABC. The accessibility that the B1G has now w/ Fox, CBS and NBC is pretty impressive.
Because the B1G has a smarter commissioner than the SEC. He locked us out of the over the air markets.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
If I were voting in the polling I would give an edge to B1G teams because of their scheduling. And that is coming from an SEC fan for life. It is ridiculous to have a large conference and limit the scheduling. If you are not going to schedule league games then why not go back to a 10 team league? I stopped going to UT games because most of the home games were becoming a waste of time when I could see better competition sitting in the recliner and watching TV.

If you can’t beat NC State and Syracuse then you do not deserve to be in the playoffs anyway. What makes you think that if you play patsies and get into the playoffs you are going to win playoff games? Weak mentality at its best.
Thank you. I said the same thing the last time he said this.

Reactions: onevol74
I'd like to see us try to buy out the NC St game this year and the Syracuse game next year. Just our luck that Cuse hires a dynamic new coach right before we play them. DW should also cancel the Nebraska series as well. With the expanded playoffs, there is no benefit at all to playing a team capable of beating us. Look at Mizzou and Ole Miss's schedules this year. Either of them go 10-2 and they are in the playoffs. We just need to figure out the easiest path to 10-2.
What a loser mentality. You should be a Vanderbilt fan with that attitude. You're terrified of anyone with a pulse.

I think this is exactly what will happen but be careful what you wish for. It could end up on streaming networks that you’ll have to sign up to get. Imagine paying $29.95 for first round games with poor viewer quality & goofball announcers that don’t know **** about the 2 teams.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
If I were voting in the polling I would give an edge to B1G teams because of their scheduling. And that is coming from an SEC fan for life. It is ridiculous to have a large conference and limit the scheduling. If you are not going to schedule league games then why not go back to a 10 team league? I stopped going to UT games because most of the home games were becoming a waste of time when I could see better competition sitting in the recliner and watching TV.
I get your point but there’s 8 SEC teams now in the league that’s won NCs since 1998. I think, with USC joining, the B10 now has 3. SEC football is much stronger that B10 football & 8 games there are much tougher than 9 in B10. JMO.

What a loser mentality. You should be a Vanderbilt fan with that attitude. You're terrified of anyone with a pulse.
🙄 Okay, it's a loser mentality to want to make the playoffs and have a chance at a natty. The way the system is set up right now it does us no benefit to play an OOC game that could result in a loss. Take a look at our schedule and Ole Miss's and tell me which one you'd rather have...I bet you're one of those people who wanted to keep playing Bama year after year before Heup, even to the detriment of the program.

ESPN/Mouse House is also gonna suffer as Cable/Sat. decline and that guaranteed cash from those entities fade away. It will be interesting to see if the Normie fan will pay a ESPN Subscription fee to watch Games. Streaming has been a Financial bust with really only Netflix being profitable and Hulu. I discount Amazon because they a delivery service that dabbles in streaming. Disney Plus/HBOmax/AppleTV/Peacock/Paramount plus all are still not above water. Those companies would of been smarter to create content and then sell it to Netflix but they all wanted to compete and now they are learning they can't.

Reactions: VolPack22
ESPN/Mouse House is also gonna suffer as Cable/Sat. decline and that guaranteed cash from those entities fade away. It will be interesting to see if the Normie fan will pay a ESPN Subscription fee to watch Games. Streaming has been a Financial bust with really only Netflix being profitable and Hulu. I discount Amazon because they a delivery service that dabbles in streaming. Disney Plus/HBOmax/AppleTV/Peacock/Paramount plus all are still not above water. Those companies would of been smarter to create content and then sell it to Netflix but they all wanted to compete and now they are learning they can't.
So you think people will stop watching live sports altogether? If cable goes away and folks won't pay for an ESPN streaming service, where will they get that from? More likely people will pay for ESPN as it's the only reason a lot of people have cable these days

Max was profitable last year, Prime is trending toward it, and there is more to streaming than the Netflix clones. YouTube TV is quite profitable. Fubo is trending up. The ad supported services like Tubi, Pluto, and Xumo are a huge growth segment right now. The market is in flux as cable dies. Things are just really competitive while a new equilibrium is found. Nothing about streaming has failed. It's still the future of the industry. It's just still evolving.

The only part of the old model that is doing well is broadcast networks. The antenna is rising again. But most people won't accept that as their only option. My money is on seeing the ad supported services continue to take a bigger role and network content shifting there while the Netflix clones basically replacing the "extended cable" channels.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me what's the big deal about going to a 9 game schedule? I'm not being smart or rude with the question. I genuinely been out of loop and don't know why it's a big deal to so many . Ilisten to locked on vols a lot and he wants it for sure but he never explained or maybe I missed why we have to do it .

VN Store

Back