2024 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Supporting someone doesn’t always mean brining them along with you. Sometimes the best thing you can do for someone is to support them in moving on to something that suits their skillset, personality and lifestyle better.

This is true in sports and in the professional, working world. I’ve had some great employees in the past who were wonderful people but were not right for my business or the role they were in. The best scenario for them was me supporting them in finding a better fit elsewhere. Guess what? We’re friends, I’d still do anything for them and they know that, their lives are better for having gone separate ways.

As a leader if you can tell someone isn’t cut out for the role they are in it is YOUR responsibility to manage that. You don’t just let them hang out and flounder because you’re afraid to have a tough conversation.
Good on you. And, I believe you are sincere.

Having said that, I have seen nothing, evidential enough, throughout this thread to lead me to believe that Coach Caldwell "encouraged" Karoline to leave. And for several reasons; the first of which is that, though we appear to be recruiting for better athleticism (thank goodness) we are yet to sign (as far as we know, and though there are encouraging indicators) a single player. Why would our coach boot a known commodity, a proven senior, with so many still-unanswered questions?

Secondly, I think (which is worth absolutely nothing) that Striplin could be (could have been) an important part of this developing team: She's very capable from the perimeter; she can box out and rebound; she can at least play safety in our press. There's just so much to like about Karoline Striplin, especially considering that she's essentially played three seasons out of position.

Third, and more-bluntly, there are a few others I would expect to be sent packing before turning out such a quality person and player. Her leadership skills alone make her a keeper.

*Edited to add, this might be more applicable to Miss Striplin's thread, but here we are.

Last edited:
Maybe some coaches hold open the door for players they don’t see fitting into their program, but it’s more likely that other coaches have conversations with players about how they might or might not fit into the program. I can see CKC having her one-on-one with Karo, just as she did with all the roster, and explaining her system, asking players what they think about the system, if they feel they’re a good fit for the system. These young women are smart or they wouldn’t have been accepted to UTK academically. It’s called a dialogue between adults. It has nothing to do with Karo’s skill set and everything to do with what Karo wants and needs. Maybe women are just better at solving situations because I doubt CKC just pushed Karo out the door.

Reactions: dazzleme
This is the second one of these in the last 3 days from Skim Milkey. Not sure if the first one was hinting at the Striplin transfer, or if it was more positive news, i.e., meaning now two committed transfers.

They usually only post about commits. I think the first was Nye I’m betting Latham committed last night.

Yep, after playing back to back AAU games without a field goal, her fit at a program like TN should have been obvious. She took several players with no chance.
Yes but that's the chicken and egg dillema. Take what you can sign or pass on them and gamble on elites only. Which can (and did) result in signing no one. KJH tried both ways and failed spectacularly. Left them dependent on the portal and players with limitied eligibility, which left a roster with crazy imbalance in class and position. Which reportedly was one of the main things that got her fired.

Everyone wants elite only recruits all the time. Reality is what to do when your only options are 30-50ish type players. Hope we can get back on track with all that in the near future.

Audi can play though. Anyone with eyes could see that. I kept saying we needed to look at her out of HS.

Some of the girls the previous staff recruited didn’t pass the eye test from day 1 they were on our radar. Like Salary, Miles and a couple others.

I was fooled by Pissott too, potential is still there but she seems to have poor work ethic. Which is interesting as she was basically presented as a gym rat.
Thinking like that would’ve kept Iowa State from signing Audi Crooks. You sign players that can play forget about this rankings and stars nonsense.

Audi can play though. Anyone with eyes could see that. I kept saying we needed to look at her out of HS.

Some of the girls the previous staff recruited didn’t pass the eye test from day 1 they were on our radar. Like Salary, Miles and a couple others.

I was fooled by Pissott too, potential is still there but she seems to have poor work ethic. Which is interesting as she was basically presented as a gym rat.

Rankings are 75% attending major camps/recruiting events and what AAU team prospects are affiliated with. And 90% of the time the top recruits 1- 60 will be affiliated with the Top 10-15 major AAU programs. I would take any player ranked in the Top 100 that is a gifted athlete, a leader, and is coachable. Top 100 recruits that aren’t discipline and do not accept coaching tend to be the ones that struggle in college. If college coaches take the time to scout them and find out about their background then they will see if the player is a fit or not. All this talk about Top 10 - 15 recruit is just lazy.

Maybe some coaches hold open the door for players they don’t see fitting into their program, but it’s more likely that other coaches have conversations with players about how they might or might not fit into the program. I can see CKC having her one-on-one with Karo, just as she did with all the roster, and explaining her system, asking players what they think about the system, if they feel they’re a good fit for the system. These young women are smart or they wouldn’t have been accepted to UTK academically. It’s called a dialogue between adults. It has nothing to do with Karo’s skill set and everything to do with what Karo wants and needs. Maybe women are just better at solving situations because I doubt CKC just pushed Karo out the door.

This take is naive. It has everything to do with her skillset. It’s ok to accept the reality of things. Her skills were limited under Kellie, a coach she loved. She’s a super hard worker, but just had athletic limitations against top competition.

Reactions: Voluble2
Great post, krichunaka, and I’m right there with you. That’s what her announcement was so surprising and particularly heartbreaking to me. I was thinking from the start that Karo would benefit greatly in the new system.

That said, it would likely have been another season of coming off the bench in a support role, and maybe she’d like to have one season of starters’ minutes. She definitely deserves that.

There’s just something inherently likable, lovable and admirable about Karoline Striplin, and keen-eyed Lady Vols followers will always count her among the best of the best to wear the Tennessee jersey.

STILL NOT OVER IT DOWN HERE! 😢

This take is naive. It has everything to do with her skillset. It’s ok to accept the reality of things. Her skills were limited under Kellie, a coach she loved. She’s a super hard worker, but just had athletic limitations against top competition.
No, it’s not naive. The coach may think the player is not right for the system and would give the player her evaluation, but she can’t tell a player to leave unless the player has violated rules.

Reactions: JohnnyPayne

How about we all let Strick alone…. She is graduating in May ! All of this speculation is just silly ! Unless someone talks to her and asks why ….. Good player and I wish her well !

How about we all let Strick alone…. She is graduating in May ! All of this speculation is just silly ! Unless someone talks to her and asks why ….. Good player and I wish her well !
I’m commenting more on process than a particular player. This forum is filled with extreme takes, and I’m just filling in the gaping gap with what’s real.

Well, that’s worrisome. All we really know is that she got into the portal with DNC immediately after the assistant coach came here? We inferred everything from there? Best case scenario they’re waiting out a decent timeframe so the tampering isn’t obvious. Sure hope we get her.
I agree I’m not too worried about that lack of announcement from Nye. Think of the other high profile transfers that were DNC that haven’t announced e.g., Janiah barker, Kiki Irifan, Raegan beers.

Reactions: glv98
Whatever the concerns and consideration, Karoline was a plus for the LVs and, with her graduating in May, she is a LVFL. Good luck Karoline and have a great season wherever you decide to go. I enjoyed, and appreciated, your play and effort over the last three years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back