2024 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we’re being honest some recruits feel UT as a whole is too whyte. And it’s being used in recruiting and has been for a while.
Dumb take there. Does 3 of the final four teams this year seem to “whyte?” Because the head coaches were “whyte”.

I felt it when I had the opportunity to be a guest coach. But it was back when Glory’s class were freshman and I didn’t see one person of color behind the scenes. And what made it so much more awkward is that people kept coming up to make sure the two black people in the room were ok versus the other members of the guest coaches. When it’s genuine you don’t have to over compensate. I never wanted the opportunity to do it again. lol
i don’t blame you! and i’m sorry you (and countless others i’m certain) had such an uncomfortable experience. we moved here from a majority Black city and, um, it was an adjustment to say the least.

Are you familiar with the Lisa Leslie story?
Nope. Don’t it seem kinda hypocritical when the “race” card is being played, but only by certain races. If a whyte coach said he/she isn’t gonna play or recruit a person of a different race. Do you not think that would be all
Over the news ,media outlets and other avenues?

I felt it when I had the opportunity to be a guest coach. But it was back when Glory’s class were freshman and I didn’t see one person of color behind the scenes. And what made it so much more awkward is that people kept coming up to make sure the two black people in the room were ok versus the other members of the guest coaches. When it’s genuine you don’t have to over compensate. I never wanted the opportunity to do it again. lol

So much wisdom in these words.

Nope. Don’t it seem kinda hypocritical when the “race” card is being played, but only by certain races. If a whyte coach said he/she isn’t gonna play or recruit a person of a different race. Do you not think that would be all
Over the news ,media outlets and other avenues?

Ok so to bring you up to speed when Lisa was in hs she was being recruited by Tennessee and played a hs game against Shelbyville. Lisa says fans in the stands called her the N-word and it was normalized in that environment and she took UT off her list. It was in 1990.

So stories like that and others have circulated about Tennessee (and other schools) for decades and the issues, as you may notice, are much deeper than the race of the staff on the sidelines. There are real concerns about safety and community for black student athletes and I encourage them all to research diligently and never commit to a community where they don’t feel safe.

Majority of the residents are black. An example is Atlanta, Georgia. No offense, but opposing schools do negative recruit against Tennessee regarding race.
No offense taken. I’m sure race is used in recruiting. I mean Deion used it this year. I just hate that it is being used. Because as long as it is used, we as a nation won’t and can’t move past it.

Ok so to bring you up to speed when Lisa was in hs she was being recruited by Tennessee and played a hs game against Shelbyville. Lisa says fans in the stands called her the N-word and it was normalized in that environment and she took UT off her list. It was in 1990.

So stories like that and others have circulated about Tennessee (and other schools) for decades and the issues, as you may notice, are much deeper than the race of the staff on the sidelines. There are real concerns about safety and community for black student athletes and I encourage them all to research diligently and never commit to a community where they don’t feel safe.
Have not heard that and that is sickening. Especially to the young athletes of any color and any others who had to hear that. Agree if such hatred is associated with whatever school It should be considered. No one should have to hear or deal with that. On another note, question since it was brought up. If the N word is used by white folks it’s insulting, as it should be, but if a person of the another race uses it. It’s ok. I mean you said 1990. There was a rap group with the N word in it and they were very popular. And actually came from the same city as Lisa Leslie.

No offense taken. I’m sure race is used in recruiting. I mean Deion used it this year. I just hate that it is being used. Because as long as it is used, we as a nation won’t and can’t move past it.
I agree. However, Deion is a black man who lived the life and grew up in some scenarios similar as the young men he's recruiting. He's relatable to them. No offense, but 80% or more of the top 100 players in high school football, men and women's basketball are black. If they don't relate to anyone on your staff, more than likely they are not coming. Representation matters to black parents. I know you may not understand, but it is what it is. Not saying the state of Tennessee or University of Tennessee is racist, but when you have people pushing that narrative to recruits and parents, it does makes a person have thoughts about coming especially coming from an Atlanta, GA or Jackson, MS for an example. I do understand your point of view.

Apparently Maria is saying on other boards that Sam arranged a visit for Alyssa Latham on Thursday. Was trying to find confirmation on a not-paywalled source, but have a dinner date so will be abandoning the hunt 🥰 Am curious if she still visits in the absence of Sam. Presumably Latham knew that was a possibility when agreeing to visit, but also who knows? (Me. I don’t know.) If this is false, I will accept my fate as just another internet rumor monger.

Not my intent at all. The simple fact is that people now commonly take MLK quotes out of their historical context when talking about contemporary issues of representation and diversity, often using them as an argument against such considerations.

If interested, a good discussion of this issue, including the thoughts of MLK's children can be found in this link:

MLK's "content of character" quote inspires debate
The simple fact is, I did not take anything out of context. Your categorical, "white folk" response was condescending, and implied ignorance, or racism, or both. I am provably ignorant, madtown. But racist? No thank you.

Being an "Upper-East" Tennessean, and holding deep pride and appreciation for the tremendous, and often life-risking role that many of our local white folk played in the Abolishionist Movement, and particularly in this Confederate State, of Tennessee ...perhaps that rendered me a bit too sensitive. A few years ago, and on another forum (thank you, Maria) on occasions such as this, we would do a private message exchange, and work things out. In fact, I actually still have the old computer that holds such conversations ...with you: "How are the kids?" "I see you too are a Hank Williams fan," and so on. Good times. I would have preferred that route. To this.

Meanwhile, I will certainly check out the MLK discussion link. And I will continue to wish, hope and pray for the very best in life for your now-all-grown-up younguns. Because, you're still a favorite.

Cheers.

Thanks for bringing all the specifics of past stupid bigot fan behavior so that maybe it can take off and run through all the social media platforms like wildfire during the crucial portal period. Helpful.

Dumb take there. Does 3 of the final four teams this year seem to “whyte?” Because the head coaches were “whyte”.
Only thing dumb was your reply. And how many blacks you saw for iowa? Also I said behind the scenes, never mentioned the coach should be black. It’s also dumb for y’all to disregard the obvious. I’ve spoken to recruits or those affiliated with them past and present. Regardless of what y’all want to believe it’s an issue for some. So unless the open up the wallets then we’ll probably be in the same predicament regardless. I believe the donors played a big role in this selection of the new coach and her image wasn’t surprising just the hire in itself.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
My opinion ? Get on the phone.

Yall remember Kentucky last season vs this season? That SEC tourney run? Brought to you by GG.

View attachment 634535
THANK YOU! FINALLY! Someone else who sees the brilliance in Coach GG! And I will say, we at least appear to have gotten her style of play (fun and gun, lights out 3-point shooting, full court pressure defense ALL. THE. TIME!) in CKC!

Reactions: VolBall09
THANK YOU! FINALLY! Someone else who sees the brilliance in Coach GG! And I will say, we at least appear to have gotten her style of play (fun and gun, lights out 3-point shooting, full court pressure defense ALL. THE. TIME!) in CKC!

CKC actually reminds me of Gail in a lot of Ways, including their personality and demeanor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back