2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Jonas Aidoo: Sophomore year: 5.1 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 1.3 bpg and 51% fg

Felix Okpara: 6.6 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 2.4 bpg, and 58.6% fg

Okpara had a better sophomore year than Jonas. Is a better rim protector and has a better fg%. Can Okpara make the same jump that Aidoo made from Sophomore --> Junior year? Who knows.

Aidoo is not worth the rumored 1mil he wants though. You also get Okpara for two more years and Aidoo would only be for 1 more year.
Refresh my memory, wasn’t Aidoo limited his sophomore season due to injury? Maybe a knee problem? Wouldn’t that effect the comparison?

Carolina believes Tyson is locked up and they’re just awaiting greenlight from admissions to go public.

Hubert also flew into Knoxville to meet with Aidoo but his family is prioritizing NIL money and Baylor and Arkansas are splashing the cash.

We are allowing Hubert to enter the state of Tennessee way too often

Okpara had a better sophomore year than Jonas. Is a better rim protector and has a better fg%. Can Okpara make the same jump that Aidoo made from Sophomore --> Junior year? Who knows.

Aidoo is not worth the rumored 1mil he wants though. You also get Okpara for two more years and Aidoo would only be for 1 more year.
Stats are basically exactly the same when you consider Okpara also played 5 minutes more a game. Also, Jonas DID make the leap to all conference center his junior year whereas you’re merely hoping Okpara will. The whole thing is moot as Aidoo is gone, but comparing the two only serves to set a high bar for Okpara

Reactions: Rocky Knocksville
Carolina believes Tyson is locked up and they’re just awaiting greenlight from admissions to go public.

Hubert also flew into Knoxville to meet with Aidoo but his family is prioritizing NIL money and Baylor and Arkansas are splashing the cash.

Cade is definitely favored to go to UNC for so many reasons but I think it's interesting he didn't commit to them after visiting

Okpara looks like an upgrade rebounding and on defense. Also shoots a higher percentage. He may not average as many points, but sounds like a good trade for playing small ball (not to mention 2 years of eligibility). We are targeting more scorers from the portal.

Reactions: Rocky Top Knox
Stats are basically exactly the same when you consider Okpara also played 5 minutes more a game. Also, Jonas DID make the leap to all conference center his junior year whereas you’re merely hoping Okpara will. The whole thing is moot as Aidoo is gone, but comparing the two only serves to set a high bar for Okpara

Aidoo was also our 2nd scoring option most of the season... Okpara was Ohio State's 5th. We need a big that rebounds and can protect the rim, Okpara fits that extremely well. If he can become a better scoring threat with more attempts and development under Barnes then we're going to be a VERY good team...

Ultimately though you have to hope Igor or Tyson are on the floor to help take the pressure off Okpara to be a 2nd or 3rd option offensively like Aidoo was.

Last edited:
Hope the vols get in contact

Why?

Dude has been in college 5 seasons, this past year at Mercer he was a 4.9 ppg, all his big scoring happened at Mississippi Valley State and that was over 2 years ago. 5'10" a career 34% FG, 29.8% 3PT, 61.1% FT he's a very inefficient small guard volume shooter with nearly as many turnovers a game as assists.

Last edited:
Because as discussed at length we want Okpara
Granted Felix had more blocks and is one inch taller, but JCJ had significantly better ppg and more rebounds albeit with 4.5 more minutes per game. Overall the highight film shows that JCJ is a much more polished player on offense with better shooting touch. So, I guess it comes down to whether you want someone with more defensive upside or offensive upside. If its defense, then Felix is your man. I would rather have someone who can give you 12 to 14 more pts per game in the paint.

Yes because Cade can rebound, shoot off the dribble, and has some meat on his bones. He has a better body to work with. Anderson just doesn’t have the body or skills to be in the same category imo.

Also what Cade did at Belmont as freshman statistically was more impressive imo than what Anderson did at Central Arkansas. A-Sun is a much worse conference.

I get what you are saying, but I’d rather take a guy like Mabar who at least you know has the body and the athleticism to compete in the SEC.
Ok, agree to disagree, not gonna keep on about it when you’re clearly set in your ways. You’ve complained about Tyson and now want to pump him to complain about Tucker, I get it.

Granted Felix had more blocks and is one inch taller, but JCJ had significantly better ppg and more rebounds albeit with 4.5 more minutes per game. Overall the highight film shows that JCJ is a much more polished player on offense with better shooting touch. So, I guess it comes down to whether you want someone with more defensive upside or offensive upside. If its defense, then Felix is your man. I would rather have someone who can give you 12 to 14 more pts per game in the paint.

I like JCJ a lot too, but he was at Middle Tennessee State and in his 4th year. He's had 1 good year in college despite playing in 110 games and over 1700 minutes.

I mean he shot 44.2% from deep, but also only took 43 shots from deep. If we were looking for a stretch 5 that's offensive minded I think JCJ would have been a higher priority than Felix. He might be the better direct replacement for Aidoo and what he did this past season, but if Felix is high on the list I think that points to the staff prioritizing a defensive 5.

I like JCJ a lot too, but he was at Middle Tennessee State and in his 4th year. He's had 1 good year in college despite playing in 110 games and over 1700 minutes.

I mean he shot 44.2% from deep, but also only took 43 shots from deep. If we were looking for a stretch 5 that's offensive minded I think JCJ would have been a higher priority than Felix. He might be the better direct replacement for Aidoo and what he did this past season, but if Felix is high on the list I think that points to the staff prioritizing a defensive 5.
yup, but it was his 3rd year at MTSU.

Having played 4 years versus 2 I would indeed expect him to be more polished, Okpara clearly has the higher ceiling, but fairly also probably the lower floor. I think with how the staff is constructing this roster with the scoring additions, as well as also having a 5 in Estrella that you feel can score, the need is more for a 5 man who can defend and protect the rim.

Ok, agree to disagree, not gonna keep on about it when you’re clearly set in your ways. You’ve complained about Tyson and now want to pump him to complain about Tucker, I get it.
Not pumping him, just saying he could play at this level and Anderson couldn’t, imo. Maybe I’m wrong, that’s just my opinion. And I said before I prefer Igor over Tyson.

I think Igor will be better than most people think. Love what he will bring.

Reactions: Volprofch05
At some point, I think contracts are going to be needed like nba

I'm seeing players transfer every second now, and I'm still seeing it right now in football
I could very well see legislation where you can sign a maximum of a 2 year NIL deal with stipulations that you can leave early if there is a head coaching change or for the draft, and that the deal carries an additional 2 year option to be agreed upon by the player and school

yup, but it was his 3rd year at MTSU.
He meant 4th year overall, I believe. He spent a year at Northwestern.

I guess I'd have the same questions about JCJ that I have about Chaz Lanier. What took them so long to produce at a lower level, and with only one year of eligibility, how long will it take them to translate success to the highest level? Felix Okpara has played two seasons of Big10 basketball. What would he look like in year 4 at Middle Tennessee State? My guess is probably very similar to JCJ and a better defender.

In the Big10 as a sophomore, he shot 61% from 2. JCJ shot 45% from 2 in CUSA as a senior. It's pretty clear that the offense ran thru him in the paint as a primary option (more so than Okpara), whereas tOSU was much more perimeter-oriented and used Okpara as a rebounder and putback guy (much like Awaka for Tennessee).

In short, JCJ had much more offensive opportunity in a weaker conference than Okpara and is two years older. If they traded places, their numbers might look a lot different.

VN Store

Back