Marcus Tankersley G Detroit Mercy 6’4” 193lbs 2 years
Terrence Edwards Jr. G James Madison 6’6” 190lbs 1 year
BJ Freeman G UW-Milwaukee 6’6” 200lbs 1 year
Darlinstone Dubar G Hofstra 6’6” 207lbs 1 year
Saint Thomas F Northern Colorado 6’7” 200lbs 1 year
Frankie Fidler F Omaha 6’7” 200lbs 1 year
Tucker Anderson F Central Ark 6’9” 190lbs 3 years
Malik Dia F Belmont 6’9” 240lbs 2 years

Mack, Thomas and Lanier would be an outstanding haul, but it's hard to imagine Mack falling our way. Can we offer him enough minutes? Just can't see it.

Yeah my worry as well, but if his goal was simply playing time why leave Harvard at all?

I think ZZ entering his last year next season will make it a bit easier to pull in portal PGs...could be wrong

Nope. He burned too many bridges and doesn’t give us anything we don’t already get with Aidoo. They both average 12 and 8. The difference is Jonas does it on a 26 win team that’s still playing basketball and Brandon did it on a team that’s won less than half that many games in two years combined.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
Things change like the wind in recruiting, and portal is even worse, but hearing a lot of traction with Lanier & Thomas. There’s also been mutual interest with the Anderson kid from Central Arkansas, he was just a freshman so more of a long term type guy if he was added. His mom played for the Lady Vols so there’s a connection there.
My only concern with Lanier is why it took him 4 years to make an impact at a small school like North Florida, and how will that translate to the SEC? The latest numbers are great, the shooting from 3 is elite, and he's an excellent FT shooter. But what propelled him from 1.7 ppg/4.5 ppg/4.7 ppg to suddenly 19.7 ppg? I just get nervous when I see a guy seemingly struggle to make an impact at a low level program and then have a late-career breakout at the same school. If it took that long to adjust at that level, it's a leap of faith to think it could translate to the highest level of collegiate basketball. Though certainly not impossible.

Same questions I guess technically exist with Saint Thomas, as well, although he switched from Loyola to Northern Colorado, which seemed to be what led to his breakout.

Tucker Anderson is intriguing at his size with that ability. A lot of Knecht qualities in his game minus the elite athleticism. Anderson, however, is 3" taller. Really good shooter, quick release, can shoot the turnaround fade which at his height is unblockable. A lot to like there if it translates, of course. His mom is Sheila Frost, who played on Pat Summitt's first two Championship teams in 1987 and 1989.

Last edited:
My only concern with Lanier is why it took him 4 years to make an impact at a small school like North Florida, and how will that translate to the SEC? The latest numbers are great, the shooting from 3 is elite, and he's an excellent FT shooter. But what propelled him from 1.7 ppg/4.5 ppg/4.7 ppg to suddenly 19.7 ppg? I just get nervous when I see a guy seemingly struggle to make an impact at a low level program and then have a late-career breakout at the same school. If it took that long to adjust at that level, it's a leap of faith to think it could translate to the highest level of collegiate basketball. Though certainly not impossible.

Same questions I guess technically exist with Saint Thomas, as well, although he switched from Loyola to Northern Colorado, which seemed to be what led to his breakout.

Tucker Anderson is intriguing at his size with that ability. A lot of Knecht qualities in his game minus the elite athleticism. Anderson, however, is 3" taller. Really good shooter, quick release, can shoot the turnaround fade which at his height is unblockable. A lot to like there if it translates, of course. His mom is Sheila Frost, who played on Pat Summitt's first two Championship teams in 1987 and 1989.

I mean Dalton Knecht didn't have an impact until his senior season at Northern Colorado, but unlike Lanier he was playing 24+ mpg each year there. Lanier didn't take more than 120 FGAs in any of his first 3 seasons either. At least with him it feels like the opportunity didn't really develop until this year, cause his first 3 seasons shooting % was good enough that had he been taking 400+ shots he would have had similar numbers to what he did this year.

Saint Thomas might have more questions than Lanier, but he also only played 14 games in his 2nd year at Loyola Chicago when he was starting to get more minutes, so maybe an injury sidelined him that year?

I think if Anderson is athletic enough to guard the 3 spot (like DK) then he would be a great talent to bring in for the reasons you mentioned. Good shooter with a quick release and that height is a damn menace to guard. (Kevin Durant, Brandon Miller, etc.)

I mean Dalton Knecht didn't have an impact until his senior season at Northern Colorado, but unlike Lanier he was playing 24+ mpg each year there. Lanier didn't take more than 120 FGAs in any of his first 3 seasons either. At least with him it feels like the opportunity didn't really develop until this year, cause his first 3 seasons shooting % was good enough that had he been taking 400+ shots he would have had similar numbers to what he did this year.

Saint Thomas might have more questions than Lanier, but he also only played 14 games in his 2nd year at Loyola Chicago when he was starting to get more minutes, so maybe an injury sidelined him that year?

I think if Anderson is athletic enough to guard the 3 spot (like DK) then he would be a great talent to bring in for the reasons you mentioned. Good shooter with a quick release and that height is a damn menace to guard. (Kevin Durant, Brandon Miller, etc.)
Knecht was severely physically undeveloped relative to where he is now - I think that’s a big part of why his production took so long to take off.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Knecht was severely physically undeveloped relative to where he is now - I think that’s a big part of why his production took so long to take off.

He was 6'6" and 200lbs in both seasons at Northern Colorado, point was more to say if you look at Lanier's numbers he basically didn't get the greenlight really in minutes or attempts UNTIL this year. DK's volume climbed from his junior year to his senior year and that's why his production rose. But in his first year there he shot 241 field goals that's the same number Lanier shot in his first 3 years at North Florida.

The difference in Knecht and Lanier, for me, is that Lanier had been at North Florida for 4 years before making that impact. Nothing really changed about his environment, not even the coach. So what precipitated this sudden surge and what took so long?

At least with Knecht, you know he spent two years at a junior college, then transferred to Northern Colorado, and made a jump from year 1 to year 2. His environment changed and he adapted and grew rapidly within it as it stabilized.

It's just rare to see someone at the same school for 4 years not make an impact in years 1-3 and then make such an enormous leap in production. If he's really that talented, then opportunity at a place like North Florida should have come sooner than his 4th year. There couldn't have been that much talent ahead of him holding him back at a place like that. They only won 33 games combined in his first 3 seasons. With an additional jump in competition to the SEC, will Lanier be able to transition to that new level quickly? Thats a fair question, I think.

Reactions: berryvol
The difference in Knecht and Lanier, for me, is that Lanier had been at North Florida for 4 years before making that impact. Nothing really changed about his environment, not even the coach. So what precipitated this sudden surge and what took so long?

At least with Knecht, you know he spent two years at a junior college, then transferred to Northern Colorado, and made a jump from year 1 to year 2. His environment changed and he adapted and grew rapidly within it as it stabilized.

It's just rare to see someone at the same school for 4 years not make an impact in years 1-3 and then make such an enormous leap in production. If he's really that talented, then opportunity at a place like North Florida should have come sooner than his 4th year. There couldn't have been that much talent ahead of him holding him back at a place like that. They only won 33 games combined in his first 3 seasons. With an additional jump in competition to the SEC, will Lanier be able to transition to that new level quickly? Thats a fair question, I think.

DK though at both stops was getting more playing time and was shooting more shots. I mean you're right that nothing changed and it wasn't until year 4 Lanier became a starter. He did play with 3 other guards the previous two seasons that played more minutes and took more shots. But I guess if your question is why wasn't he able to beat those guys out...well I don't really know. We have lots of folks that are asking why Freddie or Mashack hasn't beaten out Santi or Gainey for more minutes.

I also am not sure I'd say he didn't make an impact in years 1-3

Year 1: 10 games - 9.3 mpg, 1.7 ppg
Year 2: 31 games - 21.0 mpg, 4.5 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 1.1 apg
Year 3: 31 games - 19.7 mpg, 4.7 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 0.9 apg
Year 4: 32 games - 33.3 mpg, 19.7 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.8 apg

For comparison (obviously Shack hasn't had the "break out year" and may not...but he's similar size and played similar minutes through the first 3)
Mashack:
Year 1: 27 games - 4.6 mpg, 0.7 ppg
Year 2: 36 games - 18.1 mpg, 4.7 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 1.5 apg
Year 3: 34 games - 17.6 mpg, 4.6 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 1.2 apg

I personally kind of like that he put in 4 years and stuck it out there and earned his time, I bet that's something Barnes & staff really appreciates about him as well.

DK though at both stops was getting more playing time and was shooting more shots. I mean you're right that nothing changed and it wasn't until year 4 Lanier became a starter. He did play with 3 other guards the previous two seasons that played more minutes and took more shots. But I guess if your question is why wasn't he able to beat those guys out...well I don't really know. We have lots of folks that are asking why Freddie or Mashack hasn't beaten out Santi or Gainey for more minutes.

I also am not sure I'd say he didn't make an impact in years 1-3

Year 1: 10 games - 9.3 mpg, 1.7 ppg
Year 2: 31 games - 21.0 mpg, 4.5 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 1.1 apg
Year 3: 31 games - 19.7 mpg, 4.7 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 0.9 apg
Year 4: 32 games - 33.3 mpg, 19.7 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.8 apg

For comparison (obviously Shack hasn't had the "break out year" and may not...but he's similar size and played similar minutes through the first 3)
Mashack:
Year 1: 27 games - 4.6 mpg, 0.7 ppg
Year 2: 36 games - 18.1 mpg, 4.7 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 1.5 apg
Year 3: 34 games - 17.6 mpg, 4.6 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 1.2 apg

I personally kind of like that he put in 4 years and stuck it out there and earned his time, I bet that's something Barnes & staff really appreciates about him as well.
Yeah, why he hasn't earned more playing time before year 4 is the question I'm asking, and I think it's fair to wonder if he couldn't beat out those guys playing ahead of him, can he adjust quickly to the highest level of competition? Probably fair to call it a minimal impact than no impact, but that's what I meant.

Jose Placer averaged 14.5 points over 3 seasons playing ahead of Lanier at N. Florida. He transferred to South Florida for his final year and averaged 5.8 ppg, 1.2 rebs, and 1.5 assts in 18 minutes.

Jarius Hicklen averaged 12.3 points over 2 seasons playing ahead of Lanier at N. Florida. He transferred to Oklahoma St. for his final year and averaged 4.6 ppg, 1.1 rebs, and 0.4 assts in 17 minutes.

What should make us think that Lanier, who couldn't beat out those two guys at N. Florida, will have any more of an impact at the SEC level?

Like I said, I think it's a fair question with a lot of context clues available to think he may struggle at this level with only one year to play.

Agree on Lanier and that’s gonna be a popular question, something that made me feel a bit better is this season numbers against P5 schools. They played 5 high majors and this was his average stat line:

27mpg 14.6ppg 26-56 (46.4%) FG 10-18 (55.6%) 2ptFG 16-38 (42.1%) 3ptFG

So regardless of why he exploded on to the scene this year, he also did it against some good competition and a pretty decent sample size.

Yeah, why he hasn't earned more playing time before year 4 is the question I'm asking, and I think it's fair to wonder if he couldn't beat out those guys playing ahead of him, can he adjust quickly to the highest level of competition?

Jose Placer averaged 14.5 points over 3 seasons playing ahead of Lanier at N. Florida. He transferred to South Florida for his final year and averaged 5.8 ppg, 1.2 rebs, and 1.5 assts in 18 minutes.

Jarius Hicklen averaged 12.3 points over 2 seasons playing ahead of Lanier at N. Florida. He transferred to Oklahoma St. for his final year and averaged 4.6 ppg, 1.1 rebs, and 0.4 assts in 17 minutes.

What should make us think that Lanier, who couldn't beat out those two guys at N. Florida, will have anymore of an impact at the SEC level?

Like I said, I think it's a fair question with a lot of context clues available to think he may struggle at this level with only one year to play.
Agreed, and he might.

But we know Rick and the staff want workers and to me at least Lanier seems to fit that bill well.

I guess it's according to what he's looking for to finish out his college career. He and his dad both said he was free to go anywhere when he chose Drake originally.

West Virginia is gonna be a big rebuild after going 9-23 this year. Not sure how much of a one year band-aid he can be there as far as them making a big improvement.

I'd sell what we've done with D.K as far as improvement to his draft stock, and hope for the best.
Never a chance

Agree on Lanier and that’s gonna be a popular question, something that made me feel a bit better is this season numbers against P5 schools. They played 5 high majors and this was his average stat line:

27mpg 14.6ppg 26-56 (46.4%) FG 10-18 (55.6%) 2ptFG 16-38 (42.1%) 3ptFG

So regardless of why he exploded on to the scene this year, he also did it against some good competition and a pretty decent sample size.
That's fair. Placer and Hicklen both averaged just under 10 ppg across three and two seasons, respectively, at N. Florida against high majors. So, Lanier (though a smaller sample size) did fair better than them against the best teams.

A few new names, no clue if we've reached out but they could be fits based on other names

Devon Ellis - Sophomore from Maryland-Eastern Shore, 6'6" 215lbs G
26.6 mpg, 11.6 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 49.8% FG

Cody Head - Freshman from Lipscomb, 6'3" 170lbs PG
18.6 mpg, 8.1 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 53.2% FG, 35.2% 3PT, 84.3% FT

VN Store

Back