2024 Transfer Portal Thread

The athletic just ranked their top 63 transfer portal entries and here are the evaluations for the list we've been looking at:

6 Ja’Kobi Gillespie PG Belmont 6’0” 175lbs 2 years
1 Malik Mack PG Harvard 6’1” 170lbs 3 years
- Chaz Lanier SG North Florida 6’4” 175lbs 1 year
- Jayden Stone G Detroit Mercy 6’4” 180lbs 1 year
- Marcus Tankersley G Detroit Mercy 6’4” 193lbs 2 years
15 Darlinstone Dubar G Hofstra 6’6” 207lbs 1 year
14 Saint Thomas F Northern Colorado 6’7” 200lbs 1 year
18 Frankie Fidler F Omaha 6’7” 200lbs 1 year
53 Tucker Anderson F Central Ark 6’9” 190lbs 3 years
24 Malik Dia F Belmont 6’9” 240lbs 2 years

Others of note:
27 Michael Ajayi (-> Gonzaga)
48 Jacob Crews (-> Missou)
51 Houston Mallette (-> Bama)

BAD07786-8A5D-4616-ACC9-D276EA2A8A13.jpeg
C18B7FAF-C4AD-45C5-97CF-2E7C023F4FB4.jpeg

AF134816-5331-4CFF-A7D9-E8FB2DD21130.jpeg

My "takes"

Santi Role:
PG: Malik Mack
SG: Chaz Lanier

DK Role:
G: Darlinstone Dubar (6'8" 210lbs he's a good candidate to fill in for the role DK or JJJ played)

JJJ Role:
F: Saint Thomas (6'7" 200lbs looks like a great JJJ type, from DK's old school and rebounds at a high level 20/10 guy)

It won’t surprise me if he stays at UL and is just working on a bigger NIL payday. But he’ll also have offers if he’s not happy with their HC hire.

I guess UL is hiring Pat Kelsey from College of Charleston. BHH didn’t waste any time stealing the headline (or crapping on the news). What a piece of … work.

Reactions: knoxvol52
Eli Rice from Beech HS Hendersonville TN, Via IMG and just finished Freshman year at Nebraska Transferring. 6 schools in 6 years.

Quick question on these years for players. Does 1 year mean they are grad transfer and 1 year is their max? Can graduate stay 1 more year at their school? Or they got to go another school?

Last edited:
Quick question on these years for players. Does 1 year mean they are grad transfer and 1 year is their max? Can grad transfers stay 1 more year? Or they got to go another school?

I previously thought that grad transfers got an additional year but apparently that’s not correct. They used to get immediate eligibility - but since nobody has to sit out a year now after transferring, is a grad transfer even a thing anymore?

@bleedingTNorange

Also my question is whether or not these transfers with 1 year eligibility are seniors going in as grad transfer or juniors going in as seniors. That’s different in experience and whatever

I previously thought that grad transfers got an additional year but apparently that’s not correct. They used to get immediate eligibility - but since nobody has to sit out a year now after transferring, is a grad transfer even a thing anymore?

@bleedingTNorange
Yea still a thing, in theory if they’ve transferred already they now can transfer as a graduate transfer and be immediately eligible.

Reactions: berryvol
Also my question is whether or not these transfers with 1 year eligibility are seniors going in as grad transfer or juniors going in as seniors. That’s different in experience and whatever
They could be juniors with 1 year remaining or seniors with 1 year of eligibility remaining because of the extra COVID year being given…this years senior class is the last class that gets the extra year.

Reactions: Willy14 and lastlap

VN Store

Back