2024 Transfer Portal Thread

No way he doesn't follow his dad, though, right?
I guess it's according to what he's looking for to finish out his college career. He and his dad both said he was free to go anywhere when he chose Drake originally.

West Virginia is gonna be a big rebuild after going 9-23 this year. Not sure how much of a one year band-aid he can be there as far as them making a big improvement.

I'd sell what we've done with D.K as far as improvement to his draft stock, and hope for the best.

I think a point that will need to be driven home all off season is you aren’t getting another Knecht, the chances of getting a 20+PPG guy is just about zero. The goal though is that you look at the 3 you’re losing, it’s 36ppg combined, can you fill those 3 starting spots, whether with current guys or additions who can give you 12-14ppg and together give you what you lost.
And in overall scoring jj and Ves. hardly no points per game,

We were going offense/defense with DK at the end of the UK game, he was on the court for every offensive scenario we had - he was the only one who could score.
He did bench him on a drive to the basket, got fouled and made both free throws, he really got on to him, did not want him to drive at that time, it appeared.

Why do people think this? It honestly makes no sense to me. We were a 4-seed last year with basically the exact same roster as this year. I don’t see Uros, ORN, and Julian being gone as reason to drop 5 seed lines.

This team is still very talented. And as Chris already said, we have a bunch of talent sitting on the bench that may have played a big role if we needed to give them minutes. I just find this idea that we would have been mediocre without DK dumb.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but before the season started DK wasn’t even ranked as one of the 25 best transfers of the off-season by most major news outlets. Yet we were picked 1st in the conference. We weren’t picked that high because of DK. No one knew he would be this good.
I agree that we would be toward the bottom of sec without DK,. JJ, Vescovi,, and Gainey all three their shooting is way off, degressed very much from earlier, and we are talking about wide open shots. I don't know what has happened to their shooting.

I agree that we would be toward the bottom of sec without DK,. JJ, Vescovi,, and Gainey all three their shooting is way off, degressed very much from earlier, and we are talking about wide open shots. I don't know what has happened to their shooting.

The word you want is "regressed," not degressed, which isn't a word. Gainey has shot badly all year. JJJ and Vescovi simply haven't shot that much at all. There have been many games this year in which the two of them together have not taken 10 shots.

I think we need to focus which positions will have the most minutes to be dished out next year. Currently we have 3 out and 1 in, leaving us with 2 transfers. I don’t know where Boswell is going get played most. Just a guess.

PG : 30/10. ZZ/Freddie
SG: 24/12/4. Gainey/Carr/Boswell
SF: 28/6/6. Mashack/DJ/ Boswell
PF: 28/12. Awaka / Phillips
C: 28/12. Aidoo/Estrella

Mashack has been averaging 17-18 his sophomore/junior years. No way he will want to settle less than 28 IMO.

Gainey has an average of 18 minutes. I’m sure he’ll increase to 24.

Awaka deserves more minutes and I think they love the idea with him being at the 4.

Maybe ZZ goes under 30? But I doubt that.

Estrella has earned his minute as well.

Do we end up redshirting Boswell?

I don’t know how these transfers will demand their minutes?

I think we need to focus which positions will have the most minutes to be dished out next year. Currently we have 3 out and 1 in, leaving us with 2 transfers. I don’t know where Boswell is going get played most. Just a guess.

PG : 30/10. ZZ/Freddie
SG: 24/12/4. Gainey/Carr/Boswell
SF: 28/6/6. Mashack/DJ/ Boswell
PF: 28/12. Awaka / Phillips
C: 28/12. Aidoo/Estrella

Mashack has been averaging 17-18 his sophomore/junior years. No way he will want to settle less than 28 IMO.

Gainey has an average of 18 minutes. I’m sure he’ll increase to 24.

Awaka deserves more minutes and I think they love the idea with him being at the 4.

Maybe ZZ goes under 30? But I doubt that.

Estrella has earned his minute as well.

Do we end up redshirting Boswell?

I don’t know how these transfers will demand their minutes?

Under the current NIL and transfer rules I don’t expect to see many redshirts going forward. Really good players probably won’t be around for five years and that extra year of developing them will end up benefiting whichever program they transfer to instead of UT. Phillips and Carr would have been redshirted this year if it was several years ago. Now you might as well use them even if only for a couple of games and a handful of minutes.

An exception could be if a player requests to be redshirted at signing, but the spots are valuable and players without the talent to contribute immediately are now being recruited over.

Last edited:
Under the current NIL and transfer rules I don’t expect to see many redshirts going forward. Really good players probably won’t be around for five years and that extra year of developing them will end up benefiting whichever program they transfer to instead of UT. Phillips and Cade would have been redshirted this year if it was several years ago. Now you might as well use them even if only for a couple of games and a handful of minutes.

An exception could be if a player requests to be redshirted at signing, but the spots are valuable and players without the talent to contribute immediately are now being recruited over.

Phillips and Cade?

Reactions: knoxvol52
Things change like the wind in recruiting, and portal is even worse, but hearing a lot of traction with Lanier & Thomas. There’s also been mutual interest with the Anderson kid from Central Arkansas, he was just a freshman so more of a long term type guy if he was added. His mom played for the Lady Vols so there’s a connection there.

Things change like the wind in recruiting, and portal is even worse, but hearing a lot of traction with Lanier & Thomas. There’s also been mutual interest with the Anderson kid from Central Arkansas, he was just a freshman so more of a long term type guy if he was added. His mom played for the Lady Vols so there’s a connection there.
Supposedly Lanier will visit post tournament. Have not heard anything on Thomas recently. Anderson would like to be here, but not sure a stretch 4 is what we’re missing.

My "takes"

Santi Role:
PG: Malik Mack
SG: Chaz Lanier

DK Role:
G: Darlinstone Dubar (6'8" 210lbs he's a good candidate to fill in for the role DK or JJJ played)

JJJ Role:
F: Saint Thomas (6'7" 200lbs looks like a great JJJ type, from DK's old school and rebounds at a high level 20/10 guy)
Mack, Thomas and Lanier would be an outstanding haul, but it's hard to imagine Mack falling our way. Can we offer him enough minutes? Just can't see it.

Supposedly Lanier will visit post tournament. Have not heard anything on Thomas recently. Anderson would like to be here, but not sure a stretch 4 is what we’re missing.
Yea, feels like Anderson being here would likely come into play if the roster sees some “unexpected” departures.

VN Store

Back