2024 Transfer Portal Thread

@Stoerner Fumbles

I know it's Basilio, so take it with all the salt, but he reported today that the kids Tennessee has been in contact with have been told to keep that contact quiet while Tennessee is still alive in the NCAAT to avoid distractions. I'll assume there is some truth to that as it makes good business sense to keep your current team focused and engaged.

He also said there are three kids that Tennessee already feels like they have in the bag. Any truth there? My guesses were Jakobi Gillespie and Saint Thomas were two of them, and now with both officially in the portal, that seems to have some legs, perhaps. But now there is talk of Gillespie perhaps favoring Maryland.
I mentioned a week or maybe a bit longer ago in response to someone that you aren’t seeing Tennessee mentioned really with anyone for a reason. They’ve been working behind the scenes and continue to not to be left behind the 8 ball, but I would be surprised if you see any visitors or public type stuff prior to the season being over.

As for 3 players, I actually don’t think they are all that deep in it with Gillespie, but I could be wrong. 2 names I’ve heard mentioned we are in it with are both Lanier and Fidler.

I mentioned a week or maybe a bit longer ago in response to someone that you aren’t seeing Tennessee mentioned really with anyone for a reason. They’ve been working behind the scenes and continue to not to be left behind the 8 ball, but I would be surprised if you see any visitors or public type stuff prior to the season being over.

As for 3 players, I actually don’t think they are all that deep in it with Gillespie, but I could be wrong. 2 names I’ve heard mentioned we are in it with are both Lanier and Fidler.
What a stupid timeline to have portal open before NCAA tourney. It benefits the crappy teams.

My instinct says they passed on Gillespie.

List of names:
Ja’Kobi Gillespie PG Belmont 6’0” 175lbs 2 years
Malik Mack PG Harvard 6’1” 170lbs 3 years
Chaz Lanier SG North Florida 6’4” 175lbs 1 year
Jayden Stone G Detroit Mercy 6’4” 180lbs 1 year
Marcus Tankersley G Detroit Mercy 6’4” 193lbs 2 years
Darlinstone Dubar G Hofstra 6’6” 207lbs 1 year
Saint Thomas F Northern Colorado 6’7” 200lbs 1 year
Frankie Fidler F Omaha 6’7” 200lbs 1 year
Tucker Anderson F Central Ark 6’9” 190lbs 3 years
Malik Dia F Belmont 6’9” 240lbs 2 years

List of names:
Interesting that our biggest competition for Fidler seems to be Creighton.

List of names:

love all those guys

Reactions: berryvol
Hometown school, won’t be easy to beat out,

I'd guess that Knecht's success would be our biggest calling card with the guy....Fidler seems to be very similar in size/height, and apparently
can score.

Lanier has declared as an early entrant to the NBA draft--but could still land back in college.

How many are we realistically looking at taking in the portal? 2-3? I know JJJ, SV, and DK are gone plus at least 1 in the portal. That puts us at 4 open scholarships with one HS commit, so 3. At some point we need to start developing some of our younger guys like Dillione, Carr, and Phillips so that we are not in a constant cycle of relying too much on the portal and pushing our younger guys out.

Reactions: oldaaucoach
How many are we realistically looking at taking in the portal? 2-3? I know JJJ, SV, and DK are gone plus at least 1 in the portal. That puts us at 4 open scholarships with one HS commit, so 3. At some point we need to start developing some of our younger guys like Dillione, Carr, and Phillips so that we are not in a constant cycle of relying too much on the portal and pushing our younger guys out.

I get the feeling Freddie and DJ both transfer. I'm more than likely wrong though.

Reactions: CornbreadVol

Frankie Fidler, I assume?

Edit: Nevermind, just saw your other post.

Last edited:
Give me Malik Mack and Saint Thomas and let’s freakin ride. Watching Mack’s film. How did he end up at Harvard. That kid is a stud.

Reactions: berryvol
I think Cade has a sneaky pretty good handle for a guy his size as well. If he confident in open court I could see him as a very solid backup at the 4 behind Awaka, who can grab a defensive rebound and immediately start pushing the ball down the court with his head up looking for someone to kick it too.
I think our two Freshmen Bigs have a chance to play a lot of basketball here. Just need to learn the system which takes at least a year.

Wonder if Justin Abson is someone that we take a look at from App State.
6'9 235 and was one the Nation's top shot blockers at 2.2 per game. Has 2 years of eligibility left and would likely be a guy that would be content with coming off the bench and filling a roll.
We need some offensive production and rebounds from the bigs in Barnes' system.

Reactions: CornbreadVol

VN Store

Back