2024 Recruiting Thread

If Tennessee can get her, go get her. A high High School recruit, not many are coming your way. Even if you are guard heavy and she doesn't start, the staff has 4 years to develop her. My question is, is this staff good enough to do that, and as far as I can see, they haven't shown that at all. This could be a new start for the program, but the right coaching staff has to be in place or she may go the way of Passat.
Pissott has been a total failure at Vandy. She avoids contact like it is a plague of something. 35 percent shooter. She was a starter evidently because it was promised to her while several more productive players came off the bench.

Got it. I know she isn’t a top five player. But given our inept recruiting, why would you not want her?
Exactly because atp Cooper is looking like another do it all Rickea with no help until the next recruiting cycle. And even then that’s only one player as of now.

Exactly because atp Cooper is looking like another do it all Rickea with no help until the next recruiting cycle. And even then that’s only one player as of now.
At this point now it’s Spears team unless we get an elite player through the portal, otherwise it will be Spear like she was at Wake Forest.

Reactions: Cb153181

Lol god these takes
Right? Cooper appears to have elite athleticism but sadly, is in no way, shape, or form a do it all Rickea. If she were she'd still be at So Car. That athleticism along with that level of skill is very, very rare. No one currently here is even close. It can be a goal though.

Not going to be a Rickea out there this portal season, but you can find two or three players that are better than some of our current starters. This makes some current starters the bench, but it will have to happen for next years team to be better.

Reactions: FabSmokyVol
Right? Cooper appears to have elite athleticism but sadly, is in no way, shape, or form a do it all Rickea. If she were she'd still be at So Car. That athleticism along with that level of skill is very, very rare. No one currently here is even close. It can be a goal though.
Skill and elite athleticism are top five type players. You are unlikely to find that 25-300.

Reactions: glv98
Skill and elite athleticism are top five type players. You are unlikely to find that 25-300.
Exactly, and I've said it before. It's a pond we just aren't able to fish in for whatever reason. To me, that's the issue. We can pick apart everything fm Jon's mere existence to Kellie pulling her hair back, but the lack of elite recruiting is the story.

Exactly, and I've said it before. It's a pond we just aren't able to fish in for whatever reason. To me, that's the issue. We can pick apart everything fm Jon's mere existence to Kellie pulling her hair back, but the lack of elite recruiting is the story.
The only way you can start to get some of these players at this point is starting to win big games and stay ranked. I know you pointed that out before the season even started. Even if we had major NIL resources, we still have that stigma against us and bless that SC ending didn’t do us any favors. I know Kellie has had bad luck, but the major recruits don’t see the double dribble missed. All they see is us not guarding and them winning. Once you have that perception, unless you are way outspending others in NIL, you are going to be stuck with that perception unfair or not. We can’t outspend at this point, and we can’t shake that perception. So where does that leave us currently as a program?

Reactions: mcannon1
The only way you can start to get some of these players at this point is starting to win big games and stay ranked. I know you pointed that out before the season even started. Even if we had major NIL resources, we still have that stigma against us and bless that SC ending didn’t do us any favors. I know Kellie has had bad luck, but the major recruits don’t see the double dribble missed. All they see is us not guarding and them winning. Once you have that perception, unless you are way outspending others in NIL, you are going to be stuck with that perception unfair or not. We can’t outspend at this point, and we can’t shake that perception. So where does that leave us currently as a program?
You're right, I have said that. We are caught in a viscious dog chases tail cycle where we have to do more with less to get the more we need to win more. That's exactly why all the bad luck and agonizingly close calls cut so deeply. I've only half jokingly said Kellie is cursed by the universe. And you can see how deeply it's burning her.

It leaves us as a program on really shaky ground. If they keep Kellie, and I believe they will unless she's had enough agony and resigns, they have to find a way to help her with recruiting. Status quo ain't it.

This is where our fan base is woefully uninformed. Really only a very few people within the athletic department know what impact NIL or the lack thereof have had on our recruiting. Everyone on here is understandably just guessing.
I admit I don’t have a clear understanding of what the school can or cannot do in obtaining NIL dollars for athletes. This, I think, is also fluid with the recent lawsuits.
We get top kids on campus, Kellie’s current players rave about her, she has a track record of developing players, the facilities are top notch. I doubt that there is anything about our closing pitch that turns players off. So if it comes down to NIL money isn’t that the responsibility of the athletic department not the coaches? The football assistant coaches are not holding bake sales to obtain a cornerback.
If anyone is unhappy with recruiting perhaps they should look at the athletic department’s commitment to NIL for WBB.

You're right, I have said that. We are caught in a viscious dog chases tail cycle where we have to do more with less to get the more we need to win more. That's exactly why all the bad luck and agonizingly close calls cut so deeply. I've only half jokingly said Kellie is cursed by the universe. And you can see how deeply it's burning her.

It leaves us as a program on really shaky ground. If they keep Kellie, and I believe they will unless she's had enough agony and resigns, they have to find a way to help her with recruiting. Status quo ain't it.
Yeah, unfortunately Kellie has found herself in that cycle. I don’t know how she gets out, honestly. I don’t know if there is going to be an easy fix at this point. Once she can’t sell the improvement or drop off bags, then I don’t know what else will get those top recruits’ attention.

This is where our fan base is woefully uninformed. Really only a very few people within the athletic department know what impact NIL or the lack thereof have had on our recruiting. Everyone on here is understandably just guessing.
I admit I don’t have a clear understanding of what the school can or cannot do in obtaining NIL dollars for athletes. This, I think, is also fluid with the recent lawsuits.
We get top kids on campus, Kellie’s current players rave about her, she has a track record of developing players, the facilities are top notch. I doubt that there is anything about our closing pitch that turns players off. So if it comes down to NIL money isn’t that the responsibility of the athletic department not the coaches? The football assistant coaches are not holding bake sales to obtain a cornerback.
If anyone is unhappy with recruiting perhaps they should look at the athletic department’s commitment to NIL for WBB.
As of now, the schools and ADs can't be directly involved in raising NIL funds. That said, it seems they could give the outside fund raisers some direction and advice. Plus a donor list. If they can't or won't do that, then I don't see any real point in keeping KJH to repeat the agony.

I’m sure White has a list. At this point I’m starting to agree with other posters in that we could possibly throw a bag at Staley and bring her to Knoxville. She’s probably the only coach that could immediately turn around recruiting and invigorate a younger portion of the fan base.

Plus I’d just love to see the S.C. fans heads explode if it happened.

If not Dawn the only other name I can come up with is Becky Hammon. Really don’t think there is anyone “up and coming” that would have enough clout to turn around the recruiting in the way it needs to be done.

I’m sure White has a list. At this point I’m starting to agree with other posters in that we could possibly throw a bag at Staley and bring her to Knoxville. She’s probably the only coach that could immediately turn around recruiting and invigorate a younger portion of the fan base.

Plus I’d just love to see the S.C. fans heads explode if it happened.

If not Dawn the only other name I can come up with is Becky Hammon. Really don’t think there is anyone “up and coming” that would have enough clout to turn around the recruiting in the way it needs to be done.
You can get anybody for the right amount of money. Yes winning a lot more would probably hop the crowd up to 12 to 14 thousand a game. The question is always financial. How much you willing to lose to win.

Ask NC State about their SC transfer. Why did she leave? Certainly wasn’t because she wasn’t at that level.

As of now, the schools and ADs can't be directly involved in raising NIL funds. That said, it seems they could give the outside fund raisers some direction and advice. Plus a donor list. If they can't or won't do that, then I don't see any real point in keeping KJH to repeat the agony.
Yeah, I don’t think they can be directly involved.

I know different sports are different animals like soccer, softball, swimming, and tennis due to money involved, but they seem to be getting what they need from the AD to stay relevant/ranked(maybe not soccer lol.) Do y’all feel that because of the money involved that the Lady Vols are being treated differently? Or are we saying that women’s basketball is the only one not getting support from the AD? I would be surprised if they were. Danny constantly posts about being an everything school. I’d be surprised if he wasn’t trying to help one of the marquee brand of TN.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
This is where our fan base is woefully uninformed
Material writes itself. Speaking of woefully uniformed. Not her wheelhouse topic.

But yet others do. And she was not getting them before NIL.

I also think the collective loves to have the face of women's basketball to pull in potential sponsors and then they want to give those dollars to all women's athletes rather than to put it all back into women's basketball or divide evenly among the programs, therefore lowering the amount that women's basketball players actually should be getting. It's not like tennis golf or swimming have a very big draw.

Reactions: Volfan2012
Bear with me here, I'd like to put some thoughts down and get some discussion back but I'd rather not start a new thread.

When I look at basketball teams at any level the best teams have players with these qualities:
- All five on the floor are above-average defenders.
- All but the center position are capable 3-point shooters. (Capable = 30%+)
- All but the center position are capable of putting the ball on the deck and not having it taken away.
- The center has to be able to gobble up rebounds and protect the paint from layups

I would not recruit anyone who cannot fit the above descriptions, and the problem CKH has with her returning roster is that only one player fits the above descriptions and that is Tamari Key. Now, Puckett, Wells, and Spear are close but I think they are only average defenders (maybe even slightly below average).

So if we have four scholarships to give out, she needs to get the four best available players that fit the above descriptions and one of them needs to be a center position. Then she needs to redesign her offense around their capabilities. We can't waste any more roster spots with players that have a critical flaw in their game.

And while we're at it let's pray Cooper can learn to shoot.

VN Store

Back