2024 Recruiting Thread

Bear with me here, I'd like to put some thoughts down and get some discussion back but I'd rather not start a new thread.

When I look at basketball teams at any level the best teams have players with these qualities:
- All five on the floor are above-average defenders.
- All but the center position are capable 3-point shooters. (Capable = 30%+)
- All but the center position are capable of putting the ball on the deck and not having it taken away.
- The center has to be able to gobble up rebounds and protect the paint from layups

I would not recruit anyone who cannot fit the above descriptions, and the problem CKH has with her returning roster is that only one player fits the above descriptions and that is Tamari Key. Now, Puckett, Wells, and Spear are close but I think they are only average defenders (maybe even slightly below average).

So if we have four scholarships to give out, she needs to get the four best available players that fit the above descriptions and one of them needs to be a center position. Then she needs to redesign her offense around their capabilities. We can't waste any more roster spots with players that have a critical flaw in their game.

And while we're at it let's pray Cooper can learn to shoot.
We finished 50th in D… that should be priority number 1 in the off season. And I trust our players to get better

I also think the collective loves to have the face of women's basketball to pull in potential sponsors and then they want to give those dollars to all women's athletes rather than to put it all back into women's basketball or divide evenly among the programs, therefore lowering the amount that women's basketball players actually should be getting. It's not like tennis golf or swimming have a very big draw.
Terri favors softball and it’s obvious

We can't waste any more roster spots with players that have a critical flaw in their game.

And while we're at it let's pray Cooper can learn to shoot.
I think you answered your own question. We're loaded w critical flaw players. I'm sure the goal is always to recruit complete players, but they're so gosh darned hard to find. And most of them are sitting on Dawn Staley's bench. Rickeas don't grow on trees.

You're right, I have said that. We are caught in a viscious dog chases tail cycle where we have to do more with less to get the more we need to win more. That's exactly why all the bad luck and agonizingly close calls cut so deeply. I've only half jokingly said Kellie is cursed by the universe. And you can see how deeply it's burning her.

It leaves us as a program on really shaky ground. If they keep Kellie, and I believe they will unless she's had enough agony and resigns, they have to find a way to help her with recruiting. Status quo ain't it.

"Kellie is cursed..."...unless she's had enough agony." Good grief: She's a very well paid head coach of a prestigious program who's not gotten
'the job done. I'm not sure where your "pity party" for Harper originates. The buck stops with the head coach. Our lack of progress is on her, and trying to blame it on everything but her and her staff is nonsense.

I also think the collective loves to have the face of women's basketball to pull in potential sponsors and then they want to give those dollars to all women's athletes rather than to put it all back into women's basketball or divide evenly among the programs, therefore lowering the amount that women's basketball players actually should be getting. It's not like tennis golf or swimming have a very big draw.

Swimming, tennis, softball: all are more successful in their sports than WBB. Their players are also better students....

"Kellie is cursed..."...unless she's had enough agony." Good grief: She's a very well paid head coach of a prestigious program who's not gotten
'the job done. I'm not sure where your "pity party" for Harper originates. The buck stops with the head coach. Our lack of progress is on her, and trying to blame it on everything but her and her staff is nonsense.
You left out the many times I've acknowledged every motivational poster - make your own luck, where prep meets opportunity, etc. Also where I've said I knew your reaction would be the reaction of the board. And you're entitled to that opinon. Also I've said in spite of all, it is ultimately KJH responsibility.

Same time, I'm also entitled to my opinon and my close watch this year still says I've never seen a program or coach so plagued with major injury, bad calls, bad luck of scheduling, etc.

Last edited:
I think you answered your own question. We're loaded w critical flaw players. I'm sure the goal is always to recruit complete players, but they're so gosh darned hard to find. And most of them are sitting on Dawn Staley's bench. Rickeas don't grow on trees.
I’m just wondering is it just hard getting them to come here or our coaches bad at evaluating talent, that’s what I’ve been trying to figure out because when I see them bringing in certain players I know they won’t contribute much, what are they seeing or are they just settling.

I’m just wondering is it just hard getting them to come here or our coaches bad at evaluating talent, that’s what I’ve been trying to figure out because when I see them bringing in certain players I know they won’t contribute much, what are they seeing or are they just settling.
Mostly settling. I mean we have to have a roster. I believe they were settling on 30-50ish ranked players a few years ago (out of hs) bc that was what we could get. The last couple of years, with the portal available, they decided not to settle. And our recruits are more highly ranked, but there's only a couple of them and our roster is a disaster as far as balance of position and class.

It's one of the many ways this program is in a dog chases tail cycle.

Who is watching The Throne National Championship Tournament? Tennessee commit Nyla Brooks team Bishop Ireton #5 seed is playing against the #1 seed Hebron Christian for a spot to play in the National Championship game. The game broadcasters are raving about Brooks at halftime with 12 pts 3 rebs. In the first game yesterday she finished with 19 pts 12rebs 5 assists. No settling there with Brooks. She is a Top 10 player in the 2025 class. Elite in every category on offense and defense.

Last edited:

I don't think we need RJ's because you are correct, there aren't that many. But we also don't have to have the dynamic, create-your-own-shot type of player to make a run at championships. Indiana, VT, even ND don't have an offensive RJ, but they are 7/8 deep with players that can shoot an open shot, take care of the ball, and play defense. We shouldn't need shot creators, our offense should be designed to create open shots.

Who is watching The Throne National Championship Tournament? Tennessee commit Nyla Brooks team Bishop Ireton #5 seed is playing against the #1 seed Hebron Christian for a spot to play in the National Championship game. The game broadcasters are raving about Brooks at halftime with 12 pts 3 rebs. In the first game she yesterday she finished with 19 pts 12rebs 5 assists. No settling there with Brooks. She is a Top 10 player in the 2025 class. Elite in every category on offense and defense.

Great to hear!

Reactions: dtnvol and Majac
Mostly settling. I mean we have to have a roster. I believe they were settling on 30-50ish ranked players a few years ago (out of hs) bc that was what we could get. The last couple of years, with the portal available, they decided not to settle. And our recruits are more highly ranked, but there's only a couple of them and our roster is a disaster as far as balance of position and class.

It's one of the many ways this program is in a dog chases tail cycle.
Yes the new recruits are finally getting better, I think she saw the flaws.

Less reach still… nowhere close to basketball
hmm…who’s worried about reach when you’re winning. It takes care of itself.

Not to mention the bigger following of softball on IG and Twitter over basketball. Reach is just fine.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back