2024 Recruiting Thread

Why does this mean she stays? Why wouldn't her NIL go where ever she wants to go?
Unless this is a short term deal to provide $$ to keep her at TAM next year. Exactly like the one Rickea got w Mercedes last spring.

Hard for me to see Janiah getting any long term national deal right now. She's not well known nationally, she's on a mid to bad team, and she's having head case issues right now.

But if a deal is not locally tied and the sponsor is willing, no reason the deal can't go.

Unless this is a short term deal to provide $$ to keep her at TAM next year. Exactly like the one Rickea got w Mercedes last spring.

Hard for me to see Janiah getting any long term national deal right now. She's not well known nationally, she's on a mid to bad team, and she's having head case issues right now.

But if a deal is not locally tied and the sponsor is willing, no reason the deal can't go.

Definitely think it’s Joni trying to keep her in College Station. They were at odds all season. Barker needs someone who will bench her when she acts up like that. Joni won’t do it because she too terrified of her transferring.

Kellie, as we saw with Rickea, does actually have enough spine to do that when necessary. Something I will give her credit and appreciation for. Rickea improved the mental aspect of her game a lot under Kellie.

primarily that A&M and Joni Taylor threw this bag at her to get her to stay.
I'm sure they did.
a Caitlin Clark State Farm type deal for example would probably transfer with her.
It would, but Janiah is not likely to get one of those. You're talking maybe half dozen players.

You can't compare Angel or HVL to Jania. The first two have really strong brand presence and name recognition. This looks like a national campaign, and I doubt that's what Janiah's deal is. Even most WCBB fans don't know who Janiah is.
It would, but Janiah is not likely to get one of those. You're talking maybe half dozen players.
I second this. HVL, Caitlin, Paige, Angel and probably a select handful of others can get deals like this. Janiah is not even close to this.

I second this. HVL, Caitlin, Paige, Angel and probably a select handful of others can get deals like this. Janiah is not even close to this.
Hell, to my knowledge, Rickea doesn't have one of those. I do think she probably could if she pursued it, but seems satisfied w what she has. For sure, those don't grow on trees.

That's why its so disingenous when WNBA media gets all outraged when people say college players take a pay cut to come to the league. A select few w the national endorsements don't, but most by far do.

Hell, to my knowledge, Rickea doesn't have one of those. I do think she probably could if she pursued it, but seems satisfied w what she has. For sure, those don't grow on trees.

That's why its so disingenous when WNBA media gets all outraged when people say college players take a pay cut to come to the league. A select few w the national endorsements don't, but most by far do.
Relative Instagram followings is quite interesting.

Angel - 2.7m
Caitlin - 1.2m
Paige - 1m
HVL - 954k
Cameron Brink - 380k
Kamila -122k
Chloe Kitts - 86k
Rickea - 79k

This is definitely a case of needing to work hard on your brand to "get your money up"

Can you clarify what you meant? Some of the LVBB have and will take a pay cut to go to the WNBA, at least initially, until they get their own deals.

Reactions: krichunaka
Can you clarify what you meant? Some of the LVBB have and will take a pay cut to go to the WNBA, at least initially, until they get their own deals.
Because the WNBA is trying to say otherwise, and pointing at endorsement opportunities for Reese, HVL and Clark while conveniently ignoring that they are the exception, not the rule. The vast majority of players will not be showing up to the WNBA with the same endorsement portfolio that they were able to get in college.

Sure sorry I was unclear. I think we're saying the same thing.

WNBA followers and media go ballistic when anyone says college players take a pay cut to go to the W, They quickly point to Boston, Clark, Paige, etc and act like their deals are typical of all college players. My contention is that there are very few who have national deals that will carry over. Most will not, therefore a big percentage of college players do actually take an pay cut to go to the W. And have to overseas to make money.
Relative Instagram followings is quite interesting.

Angel - 2.7m
Caitlin - 1.2m
Paige - 1m
HVL - 954k
Cameron Brink - 380k
Kamila -122k
Chloe Kitts - 86k
Rickea - 79k

This is definitely a case of needing to work hard on your brand to "get your money up"
I just don't think Rickea cares. She could easily pump up her brand but seems fine with where she is.

Last edited:
Seems like we keep competing for recruits with VT and losing. Not really sure what kids see there. Blacksburg is pretty but a boring place to live.

Also think their tournament run last year was a one time deal. That was the perfect mix with Amoore and Kitley plus the couple impact transfers they had. With Kitley out and now gone I think they exit in the second round.

Only saving grace for them is they are in a region with the worst 5 seed by far. Baylor is not good and should have been in South Carolina’s region as the 5 there or really imo should have been a 7 seed.

Last edited:
Seems like we keep competing for recruits with VT and losing. Not really sure what kids see there. Blacksburg is pretty but a boring place to live.

Also think their tournament run last year was a one time deal. That was the perfect mix with Amoore and Kitley. With Kitley out and now gone I think they exit in the second round.

Only saving grace for them is they are in a region with the worst 5 seed by far. Baylor is not good and should have been in South Carolina’s region as the 5 there or really imo should have been a 7 seed.

Is Kitley out for sure?

Is Kitley out for sure?

They won’t say but I think so, I think her injury was season ending but they were trying to play it off like she might return so it wouldn’t hurt their seed in the tournament.

The committee making them a 4 makes me think they know something we don’t because I feel like VT was on track for a 3 or maybe even the last 2 seed if they had a better showing in the ACC tournament.

Instead they lost by 30 to ND after barely getting by a Miami team they beat by 24 earlier in the season.

Fr u think one more year at least with as good of a job recruiting she’s done

Again don’t fire unless u have your next coach ready..

Times ticking in the portal

I think she may be a bit tough to employ. Also think how she got some of those recruits might be questionable. The Berry thing just made no sense. I think her AAU coach got something…

Is this the recruit some posters said that she wasn’t considering Tennessee at all?
You're thinking of Jaloni Cambridge. Berry was allegedly down to Tennessee and Clemson, even though she never made an official visit to Tennessee (or anywhere else). Seemed at the time like a connection between her AAU coach and the Clemson staff

VN Store

Back