2017 feels a lot like 1998

I saw Holloway play numerous times. I always felt he could make a play for us at any time, whether throwing or running. I don't ever remember any quarterback ever who had more escapability than he did once things collapsed on him. Eternally grateful to him for having been our QB.

Wasn't alive. I've watched plenty of games and highlights of him though, amazing player. Named artful dodger for a reason. That play vs I believe GT where nearly every player on defense got a hand on him and he still scored, I think he broke 9 or 10 tackles.

Reactions: 1 person
Nobody ever said Dobbs is Manning on a national scale, or that Holloway was. We are talking UT legend, not CFB legend, there's a big difference.

So now ur Wiki page determines if you're a legend or not? Weird....

Edit: And if u wanna talk "national scale" if u ask ppl who the first black QB was in the SEC most people would have no idea who it was. But Holloway is still and always will be a UT legend

Is Bobby Scott a legend?

Is Bobby Scott a legend?

Probably not imo. Had a great record here, especially at home. But so have a lot of other QB's at UT. Good/great QB, yes. but legend status? I'm not so sure.

But at the same time it Also depends on what you consider a legend

Probably not imo. Had a great record here, especially at home. But so have a lot of other QB's at UT. Good/great QB, yes. but legend status? I'm not so sure.

Do you consider Ainge a UT "legend" ?

He had almost every passing record after he left.

you don't get to be called a "legend" by losing to vandy and usc in your senior season, being 0-4 vs alabama, winless in the swamp, and champion only of life. Josh was a solid leader and a unique talent with the football. Not a legend, and not even close.

yes, my man. Yes!!

He had almost every passing record after he left.

Yes, and what's your point? He was a legend for a while but not anymore. Legends fade away and move with the time. In 60 years from now Shuler won't be considered a legend by many, if not most Tennessee fans but if u ask any right now he's definitely a legend.

Yes, and what's your point? He was a legend for a while but not anymore. Legends fade away and move with the time. In 60 years from now Shuler won't be considered a legend by many, if not most Tennessee fans but if u ask any right now he's definitely a legend.

Stories fade away, but legends never die..

I know I said we could be in for another year like 1998 last season. But that was mostly wishful thinking. There really weren't many parallels between 2016 and 1998. I just wanted Dobbs, Sutton, Barnett, Hurd, Kamara, and JRM to go out as champions. If we're being honest, this year resembles 1998 a lot more than last year. In 2016 we were highly touted. We were the favorites to win the East and were even considered a dark horse playoff team. And we still had our legendary senior QB on the team. That's very different from 1998 when we had just lost our legendary senior QB. We were not expected to win the East let alone contend for a national championship.

When I look at 2017, it starts to look a lot like 1998. (1) We no longer have the legendary Josh Dobbs just as we no longer had the legendary Peyton Manning in 1998. (2) We have a long losing streak to Alabama that most feel we have no chance of breaking. In 1998 we had a long losing streak to Florida and most didn't feel we could beat them either. (3) We are being severely underrated by the media. Nobody expects us to win the East let alone compete for a national championship. (4) And like 1998, we still have a ton of talent on campus that is hungry and motivated to prove themselves.

Guys the saying that "this feels like 98" has never been more appropriate. I really think we are in for a special season. We're gonna shock a lot of people with how good we are.

Except when you said this last year. I guess you're going to say this every year until it either happens or you die.

Stories fade away, but legends never die..

Not true. That means Shuler isn't a legend, like I said. 60 years from now most UT fans wont consider him a legend and a lot won't know him. But is he a legend rn? Yes. Football is always changing and more exciting/better and popular players will always take place of old ones eventually.

Im not arguing that this year is the next 98, i mean, no ones knew 98 was 98 until 99. haha..

But i will say this, if anything, Tee Martin wishes he could have played at Josh Dobbs 2016 level.

1998 T.Martin 153 of 257 (57.3%) 2164yrds 19-td 6-int 144.4 rating
+ rushed 103 times for 287 yrds and 7 tds

2016 J.Dobbs 225 of 357 (63%) 2946yrds 27-td 12-int 150.6 rating
+ rushed 150 times for 831 yrds 12 tds

Im obviously not trying to take anything away from Martin. Just saying that 98 took alot of lucky bounces and close wins to get through. Also that nostalgia is often a liar, Tennessee wasnt exactly steamrolling through alot of teams that year, but it did get a couple lucky bounces to get over the hump.

Well said. The truth.

Not true. That means Shuler isn't a legend, like I said. 60 years from now most UT fans wont consider him a legend and a lot won't know him. But is he a legend rn? Yes. Football is always changing and more exciting/better and popular players will always take place of old ones eventually.

We still remember Doug Atkins... And yes, I think Bobby Scott is extremely underrated and a legend.

If legends die, are they truly legends?

Last edited:
We still remember Doug Atkins...

He's also one of the best DE's ever(regardless of team) and in the conversation as one of the best Vols ever regardless of position. Players like him, Manning will never fade. But that doesn't mean those are the only legends

He's also one of the best DE's ever(regardless of team) and in the conversation as one of the best Vols ever regardless of position. Players like him, Manning will never fade. But that doesn't mean those are the only legends

We also remember the likes of Steve Kiner, Bob Johnson, Hacksaw Reynolds, and Jackie Walker.

We still remember Doug Atkins... And yes, I think Bobby Scott is extremely underrated and a legend.

If legends die, are they truly legends?

I agree he's underrated.

Only a few legends will never die. So that means there's only a very small handful of players that are true legends. If you ask most UT fans under the age of 25 I doubt the majority knows who he is and that number will continue to grow as more UT fans are born and get older, so eventually the very large majority will have no clue who he is w/o being told.

Nope.

I don't see why you didn't respond to my Holloway comment. No reason to start talking about Ainge now😂

I'll tell you why. Because if you don't consider Ainge a UT legend, then you can't consider Holloway one either. Ainge had way better stats and accomplishments.

We also remember the likes of Steve Kiner, Bob Johnson, Hacksaw Reynolds, and Jackie Walker.

Older ones, not younger ones, that's the problem. I've talked with multiple people where I mention Bob Johnson and they have no idea who he is. The more years that go by the more these players will be forgotten. Which means if legends never die there will only be a very very small handful of true legends.

Older ones, not younger ones, that's the problem. I've talked with multiple people where I mention Bob Johnson and they have no idea who he is. The more years that go by the more these players will be forgotten. Which means if legends never die there will only be a very very small handful of true legends.

The legends names can be found in the corners of Neyland stadium. That's about all of them, in my opinion.

I'll tell you why. Because if you don't consider Ainge a UT legend, then you can't consider Holloway one either. Ainge had way better stats and accomplishments.

So now you're saying stats and accomplishments are what determines legends? Football is always evolving and guys are always putting up better stats. Eventually Manning will no longer #1 in just about every passing stats. So then will Manning no longer be a legend?

So now you're saying stats and accomplishments are what determines legends? Football is always evolving and guys are always putting up better stats. Eventually Manning will no longer #1 in just about every passing stats. So then will Manning no longer be a legend?

Championships define legends. That's really all there is to it.

VN Store

Back