2017 feels a lot like 1998

Josh Dobbs was not a "legendary" QB. He was a good player and had a great career at Tennessee, but the standard for "legendary" is so high. Dobbs doesn't even quite approach that standard. You can count the "legendary" players who have come through Tennessee on a couple of hands, and we've been playing football since 1891. Their names and numbers are found in Neyland. That is very few people.

The 1997 and 1998 teams were quite a bit more talented than the 2016 and 2017 teams. The 1997 team had a much better year than the 2016 team did.

There is no comparison between the two teams.

Reactions: 2 people
He was also the first black QB in the SEC......

I think Holloway is a legend because of what he represented more than how he performed. He was a very good quarterback, but would anyone talk about him in "legendary" terms if he had been the 5th black QB in SEC history? 10th? 30th?

I think Holloway is a legend because of what he represented more than how he performed. He was a very good quarterback, but would anyone talk about him in "legendary" terms if he had been the 5th black QB in SEC history? 10th? 30th?

No, that's my point. He was really only super popular because of the politics. Yes, he was a good QB. But he didn't put up legendary stats or win any championships.

Reactions: 1 person
Championships define legends. That's really all there is to it.

So Tee Martin is more of a legend than Manning since Manning never won a national title? Holloway is not a legend? Heath Shuler isn't a legend? That means Tennessee has very, very few legends.

Had he been a very average QB that didn't carry his team in many cases? Probably. You make a fair point, but him being a very good QB helped concrete the idea.

He was one of the best players at escaping Sacks and a heckuva runner and he finished with the best Attempt to INT ratio in UT history. He'll be remembered as one of if not the best dual threat QB's in Ut history. If he was average he would not have been considered a legend, so you're argument isn't very good. Jackie Robinson isn't only considered a legend bcuz he broke the color barrier either

No, that's my point. He was really only super popular because of the politics. Yes, he was a good QB. But he didn't put up legendary stats or win any championships.

If you go by stats or championships than that would make Dobbs a legend lol. So what are you even arguing, You're inconsistent

So Tee Martin is more of a legend than Manning since Manning never won a national title? Holloway is not a legend? Heath Shuler isn't a legend? That means Tennessee has very, very few legends.

SEC championships count. Dobbs doesn't have any kind of championship. Therefore, not a legend. Not even close.

And yes, Tennessee does have very few legends. That's the only thing you've said that makes sense.

Had to see him play. ''Twas more the "Artful Dodger" highlights than the number. If he had sucked AND been the first? Would have been hard pressed to find a consensus amongst Vol fans. As is, he's a legend for us. Thanks for participating.

SEC championships count. Dobbs doesn't have any kind of championship. Therefore, not a legend. Not even close.

National Champions is much higher honor than SEC. Martin has both. Therefor his legendary status(by YOUR logic) would put him ahead of Manning.

Most of you are just homers and have a skewed view. MOST of our "legends" are only that to Vol fans.

So 2 time AA and FR AA Eric Berry = not a legend

Correct. Harsh, but correct. Eric Berry is not getting statues or streets named after him in Knoxville.

EB also played the "wrong" position so to speak. It's hard to be remembered for being a legendary safety because of the nature of the position. How many "legendary" safeties can you name off hand?

Most of you are just homers and have a skewed view. MOST of our "legends" are only that to Vol fans.

UT/School Legend doesn't mean you are a college football legend😂 There's a HUGE difference. If that was the case small bad schools would have no legends...

Correct. Harsh, but correct. Eric Berry is not getting statues or streets named after him in Knoxville.

EB also played the "wrong" position so to speak. It's hard to be remembered for being a legendary safety because of the nature of the position. How many "legendary" safeties can you name off hand?

Its not harsh because Berry is a legend. Would have been at corner just the same. Naming a street after him doesn't make him anymore of one to me.

Al Wilson Blvd?

And you made a wrong turn and landed on a Vol fan board.
tenor.gif

Reactions: 2 people
He was one of the best players at escaping Sacks and a heckuva runner and he finished with the best Attempt to INT ratio in UT history. He'll be remembered as one of if not the best dual threat QB's in Ut history. If he was average he would not have been considered a legend, so you're argument isn't very good. Jackie Robinson isn't only considered a legend bcuz he broke the color barrier either

If you took my post as being dismissive of Holloway, then I'm sorry. That wasn't my intent. Like I said, Holloway was a very good quarterback.

And yes, had he been less than very good his case for legend status would be harder to make. My point is that what he represented during his time on the field takes his case from "very good" to "legendary." And I say that as a compliment. Holloway didn't just play good football; he demolished a bunch of stereotypes that existed at that time.

VN Store

Back