2017 feels a lot like 1998

The first time I ever saw the "Feels Like 98" shirt was after we beat NC State in 2012. We all know how that season ended and now every time I hear "Feels Like 98" I think of that Dooley era meltdown and just sort of laugh.

I also laugh because most of the sorority girls wearing those shirts weren't even born yet.

Reactions: 1 person
You don't get to be called a "Legend" by losing to Vandy and USC in your senior season, being 0-4 vs Alabama, winless in the Swamp, and Champion only of Life. Josh was a solid leader and a unique talent with the football. Not a legend, and not even close.

Johnny Majors(as a player)lost to Vandy once and Kentucky TWICE! Is he not a legend? How bout Holloway who never beat bama and tied Vandy? Dobbs is easily one of if not the greatest rushing QB's we've ever had. He's lead out team to statistically two of the best offenses we've had. its not his fault he didn't have a Hall of Fame coach or a top 10 defense like most of the 90's teams.

Also. Dobbs was 0-2 vs Bama if ur gonna trash a VFL at least get it right. And he played once in the swamp and had a very dominate game on ground, what do u want him to do? Not his fault the defense choked.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Well...no. We had much better talent going into '98. Several absolute stoppers on defense; three running backs better than JK (and I really like JK); comparatively massive offensive line. And we needed two or three fluky wins even at that. (Not complaining about the fluky wins; I'll take fluky wins over losses any day.)
If you're just saying it feels like a season of Divine Intervention, or maybe just proper alignment of the planets, (not knowing what your beliefs are on such things) then I'd say that I don't feel it, but will certainly welcome it if it comes.

Also. Dobbs was 0-2 vs Bama if ur gonna trash a VFL at least get it right. And he played once in the swamp and had a very dominate game on ground, what do u want him to do? Not his fault the defense choked.

"Made college debut at #1 Alabama (10/26), playing entire second half, throwing for 75 yards on 5-of-12; engineered first TD drive at Alabama for any opponent in 2013"

"Made 2014 season debut vs. Alabama (10/25) coming on in the third series. Went on to throw for 192 yards on 19-of-32 with two touchdown passes, also ran for 75 yards on 19 carries"

2015: 13-22, 171 yards passing, 19 rushing

2016: "Finished 16-of-27 for 92 yards and one INT against Alabama (10/15) and rushed seven times for -31 yards"

Why do you consider not escalating JD to "Legend" status means that I'm trashing him? I said that he was a special talent and good leader. His off-the-field character was impeccable. He was half of the greatest play I've ever witnessed first-hand. He also was an average-at-best SEC passer with only one real signature win.

He will always be a respected VFL.

Reactions: 2 people
All I know is that we have exactly the same W-L record right now as the fabled '98 season. Take heart in that! On the downside, our starting RB is sure to be distracted by his new duties as White House Chief of Staff.

yes '98 is a sweet memory, but it's 2017 and it doesn't feel like '98 to me...let's play some football, and see what happens, and,

GO VOLS!

You don't get to be called a "Legend" by losing to Vandy and USC in your senior season, being 0-4 vs Alabama, winless in the Swamp, and Champion only of Life. Josh was a solid leader and a unique talent with the football. Not a legend, and not even close.

Manning lost to Memphis, 0-3 vs Florida with much better players around him. More redneck hypocrisy. Dobb's numbers say you're a liar.

Reactions: 3 people
I know I said we could be in for another year like 1998 last season. But that was mostly wishful thinking. There really weren't many parallels between 2016 and 1998. I just wanted Dobbs, Sutton, Barnett, Hurd, Kamara, and JRM to go out as champions. If we're being honest, this year resembles 1998 a lot more than last year. In 2016 we were highly touted. We were the favorites to win the East and were even considered a dark horse playoff team. And we still had our legendary senior QB on the team. That's very different from 1998 when we had just lost our legendary senior QB. We were not expected to win the East let alone contend for a national championship.

When I look at 2017, it starts to look a lot like 1998. (1) We no longer have the legendary Josh Dobbs just as we no longer had the legendary Peyton Manning in 1998. (2) We have a long losing streak to Alabama that most feel we have no chance of breaking. In 1998 we had a long losing streak to Florida and most didn't feel we could beat them either. (3) We are being severely underrated by the media. Nobody expects us to win the East let alone compete for a national championship. (4) And like 1998, we still have a ton of talent on campus that is hungry and motivated to prove themselves.

Guys the saying that "this feels like 98" has never been more appropriate. I really think we are in for a special season. We're gonna shock a lot of people with how good we are.

You made very similar predictions last year. Doesn't it ever get old?

This line of thinking is easy to latch onto. Like wanting the next QB to be just like Josh Dobbs or just like Peyton Manning, so it is with teams also. Every team and every great player will have their own identity.

So to broaden the perspective consider all the surprise teams in our recent history. Who could have predicted the magic of 1985 or the 89 team bursting onto the scene. 92 saw a rebuilding team surprise everyone until a coaching fiasco interrupted it. 04 saw a Tennessee team with two true freshmen at QB achieve one of the biggest upsets in our history in Athens to take us to Atlanta.

These are what some call Cinderella teams and we had had one every few years until after 04. Hasn't been one for 13 years now. Are we due?

"Made college debut at #1 Alabama (10/26), playing entire second half, throwing for 75 yards on 5-of-12; engineered first TD drive at Alabama for any opponent in 2013"

"Made 2014 season debut vs. Alabama (10/25) coming on in the third series. Went on to throw for 192 yards on 19-of-32 with two touchdown passes, also ran for 75 yards on 19 carries"

2015: 13-22, 171 yards passing, 19 rushing

2016: "Finished 16-of-27 for 92 yards and one INT against Alabama (10/15) and rushed seven times for -31 yards"

Why do you consider not escalating JD to "Legend" status means that I'm trashing him? I said that he was a special talent and good leader. His off-the-field character was impeccable. He was half of the greatest play I've ever witnessed first-hand. He also was an average-at-best SEC passer with only one real signature win.

He will always be a respected VFL.

He didn't start vs Bama in 2013 or 14. 2013 they were already down by 30 something lol. In 2014 he came in down by like 21 and actually gave Vol fans hope that game and looked great against them. So no, those losses aren't his since he didn't start and was down by a lot when he got thrown in.

He was top 3 in every SEC passing stat last year. #1 in rating, TD's, completion % for QB's who played more than half a season. And had the most 20+ yard TD's in the SEC last year. And is top 5 in multiple Passing stats at Tennessee. I hardly call that an average at best SEC passer. But ok lol

Manning lost to Memphis, 0-3 vs Florida with much better players around him. More redneck hypocrisy. Dobb's numbers say you're a liar.

Redneck hypocrisy? Do you have any suspicion that I'm a redneck? Do you know the meaning of the word hypocrisy? Do the NFL scouts agree with you?

Reactions: 4 people
Redneck hypocrisy? Do you have any suspicion that I'm a redneck? Do you know the meaning of the word hypocrisy? Do the NFL scouts agree with you?

What does NFL scouts have to do with this? NFL scouts don't determine if your a college legend or not. Scouts didn't like tebow at all, Holloway was drafted after the 10th round, and soooo many more just like that.

Im not arguing that this year is the next 98, i mean, no ones knew 98 was 98 until 99. haha..

But i will say this, if anything, Tee Martin wishes he could have played at Josh Dobbs 2016 level.

1998 T.Martin 153 of 257 (57.3%) 2164yrds 19-td 6-int 144.4 rating
+ rushed 103 times for 287 yrds and 7 tds

2016 J.Dobbs 225 of 357 (63%) 2946yrds 27-td 12-int 150.6 rating
+ rushed 150 times for 831 yrds 12 tds

Im obviously not trying to take anything away from Martin. Just saying that 98 took alot of lucky bounces and close wins to get through. Also that nostalgia is often a liar, Tennessee wasnt exactly steamrolling through alot of teams that year, but it did get a couple lucky bounces to get over the hump.

You made very similar predictions last year. Doesn't it ever get old?

Dobbs4Heisman is more of a legend than Dobbs himself.

Dobbs could will a team to win but did not bring consistent effort each and every game. It's what made him a unique talent and not a champion.

He is a phenomenal person and team ambassador and I'm happy he was our QB. But the truth is, his unapologetic, Haleys Comet koolaid sippin, quit on the team vs Florida, super"fan" is more of a legend than Josh will be

Stats are just numbers without championships

Dobbs could will a team to win but did not bring consistent effort each and every game. It's what made him a unique talent and not a champion.

He is a phenomenal person and team ambassador and I'm happy he was our QB. But the truth is, his unapologetic, Haleys Comet koolaid sippin, quit on the team vs Florida, super"fan" is more of a legend than Josh will be

Well if that's the case, we don't have many 'legends.'

"Stats are just numbers without championships"

Well then that would make Martin Better than Manning since National Championship is the highest achievement in CFB, something Manning never got. That would also mean Terry Bradshaw was a better NFL QB than Manning. Put Dobbs on that 98 and they still win a championship lol. It takes a whole team to win a championship, not one QB.

"Stats are just numbers without championships"

Well then that would make Martin Better than Manning since National Championship is the highest achievement in CFB, something Manning never got. That would also mean Terry Bradshaw was a better NFL QB than Manning. Put Dobbs on that 98 and they still win a championship lol. It takes a whole team to win a championship, not one QB.

SEC Championship means nothing to you?

Shame.

SEC Championship means nothing to you?

Shame.

Who said that? I said National championship is the highest achievement, is it not?

Bradshaw has more Super Bowls than Manning too, is he better? Marino never won a super bowl, so he's not a legend?

I listened to the Swain Event sometime last week and they had Fred White #2 on the show discussing it. He doesn't take offense to it when fans say it "feels like 1998" but that every team has their own identity and that it would be hard to replicate the 1998 season but not because of how great they were but the camaraderie of the players. The 2017 team is the 2017 and that is what it is nothing more. We will see at the end of the season where they shakeout in Vol Football history.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back