2017 DEFENSE Talent & Depth Perspective

McGee had 321 career receptions, over 5,200 yards receiving and 28 career TDs. In 1989, when the Bengals made the Super Bowl, McGee had over 1200 yards receiving. One of my all-time favorites and the first jersey I ever remember buying in 1985 was an orange 88 jersey, that was like a cut-off(belly shirt as the kids call 'em today) with these rather large netting like holes all over it.

3 glaring problems with your depth chart:
1) Vickers is a starting DT, alongside Tuttle (when healthy) or McKenzie
2) Starting CB's will be Wiggins and Martin IMO.. it sure as heck won't be Moseley and Osborne...
3) You won't keep Gaulden off the field, he will start.

I agree with your above #s 1 & 2. I agree with #3 but not sure I agree with the staff about Gaulden. We hear a lot about this youngster during camps and practices, "hard hitting" all those sort of accolades. Then during games he sort of disappears, have yet to see him blow up anyone or deliver one of those hits making a high light reel. When the lights come on lots of kids fade out, methinks Gaulden may be one of these, it's almost time to give another youngster a chance. You need true headhunters at his position not shrinking violets. Prove me bad wrong youngster!!!

Everyone has depth issues somewhere on their roster. For us, it's DE.

We have 3 of the top DEs in the nation on The Hill at DE and we have a depth problem at DE???? Two were Army High School All Star game heroes and the other was a JUCO transfer everyone including Bama was salivating over and we have depth problems at DE? Not sure I can cosign that sentiment.

We have 3 of the top DEs in the nation on The Hill at DE and we have a depth problem at DE???? Two were Army High School All Star game heroes and the other was a JUCO transfer everyone including Bama was salivating over and we have depth problems at DE? Not sure I can cosign that sentiment.

Taylor is a top DE in the country? No. Could he become one this season? Sure. But you're looking at things through orange tinted glasses. The top 3 all have great potential. None of those three have proven to be top DEs in the nation.

Reactions: 2 people
Taylor is a top DE in the country? No. Could he become one this season? Sure. But you're looking at things through orange tinted glasses. The top 3 all have great potential. None of those three have proven to be top DEs in the nation.

I am not worried about the depth at DE. There is plenty of talent which are quick, strong and fast. Plus, they have one of the best DL coaches in the business. The defense will be much better this year than in 2016.

Reactions: 1 person

you are out of your mind if you think we a have a single top 3 DE..

Arden Key LSU ( have you seen this man, best in the country)

kid from BC.. landry I think.. led the nation in sacks with like almost 20 last year

dude from Clemson

nick bosa from tOSU

Come on Man don't pump too hard but I like the enthusiasm about our guys

Last edited:

kid from BC.. landry I think.. led the nation in sacks with like almost 20 last year

dude from Clemson

nick bosa from tOSU

At this time it is unknown in which game this season -- if any -- that Key appears back on the field after his surgery. :question:

Last edited:
At this time it is unknown in which game this season -- if any -- that Key appears back on the field after his surgery. :question:

He says he'll be ready by week 1.. so considering if that's true or not let's throw him in the mix.. therefore the number one DE in the country and a sure top 5 draft pick. If there is any DE on this team ready to be a superstar it will be Kongo playing off the edge this year.

dude from Clemson

nick bosa from tOSU

Phillips and Taylor were two of the best DEs in the nation their Sr year of hs. That each has had people playing in front of them on The Hill when you have guys like DB and their own injuries does not subtract from their overall talent and abilities, they are both top notch if they can stay healthy. Kongbo, was there a better juco DE in the US available when we got him, you tell me?

Phillips and Taylor were two of the best DEs in the nation their Sr year of hs. That each has had people playing in front of them on The Hill when you have guys like DB and their own injuries does not subtract from their overall talent and abilities, they are both top notch if they can stay healthy. Kongbo, was there a better juco DE in the US available when we got him, you tell me?

Kongbo I do think could pan out especially since he's coming of edge exclusively now but Phillips hasn't shined like he should tho he's been dinged up. Taylor got some reps last year and has had a promising spring but I don't think either of them should be labeled as a top 3 defensive end in the country. To put it this was I don't think any DE rotation,kongo and and who ever else you want to line up out there, matches up to what we had last year with DB and Vereen imo. Derek Barnett was a top 3 defensive end in the county. On this roster we currently don't have that

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back