2017 DEFENSE Talent & Depth Perspective

I sure hope you're right. They've been hyping Taylor in the off season for 2 years and he's hardly played at all to date. Time for him to shine.

He came in criminally undersized, he would have even been small for a linebacker his freshman year, so it's no surprise it's taken him this long to get significant snaps.

He's finally up to size (~35lbs heavier now) and still has off the charts athleticism, so I expect him to make a significant impact especially as the season progresses. Look for him to have his best streak in the latter half of the season against the lower half of the East and hopefully LSU.

Reactions: 2 people
Disagree with #1 and #2. KMac and Tuttle are healthy they are starting on the Dline. Because Wiggins is a transfer he will not start. CBJ will not jeopardize team chemistry for a 1 and done. Wiggins will play a lot though.
Gaulden is a beast and can play several roles.

:loco:

Tennesseeduke

Vickers is almost sure to start. He and McKenzie will probably be the game 1 starters.

No idea on CB... just glad there can be a debate not centered around who's the worst.... though I don't suspect Wiggins was brought in to sit.

Love Gaulden. Not sure how or where he fits in the current D philosophy. IIRC, he has struggle to put on the weight for S and isn't quite the ideal CB.

3 glaring problems with your depth chart:
1) Vickers is a starting DT, alongside Tuttle (when healthy) or McKenzie
2) Starting CB's will be Wiggins and Martin IMO.. it sure as heck won't be Moseley and Osborne...
3) You won't keep Gaulden off the field, he will start.

Above :lolabove: is just the beginning of the holes in your depth chart.

fun exercise on my part now just reflecting on everything I would do different in your post. What happened to DT Alexis Johnson for instance?

With the DL it really doesn't matter who starts, 1-3 deep will get plenty of action.

I expect starting CBs to be a blend of Martin, Mosely and Wiggins. with Baylan Buchannon, and Osbourne backing them up.

Evan Berry will be in the 2 deep rotation at Safety.

Bituli is a MLB if I'm not mistaken.

Gaulden and Abernathy will get plenty of work at NB, etc,

Martin is terrible, I've lost count on the times he was burnt last year.

Considering the technique last year, it's understandable.

Also, who didn't get smoked last year in secondary?

Martin has the best size/athleticism and experience returning at CB. No guarantees but I expect him to start and do well.

I really like the defense this year.

Our DL is All-SEC.

Our problem will be the play of the LB's. Hopefully the play of the DL will keep a lot of
pressure off our LB's.

Secondary is very sound. Hope they play as well as they look on paper.

3 glaring problems with your depth chart:
1) Vickers is a starting DT, alongside Tuttle (when healthy) or McKenzie
2) Starting CB's will be Wiggins and Martin IMO.. it sure as heck won't be Moseley and Osborne...
3) You won't keep Gaulden off the field, he will start.

I hope Moseley does not see field

Wiggins won't start because he's a transfer? That's ridiculous.
He didn't come here to sit on the bench. If he is the best corner then he will start.

Didn't say he wouldn't eventually be the starter but Day 1 I don't think so. Maybe I'm wrong but as a former coach there is an earned period to go through IMHO.

Great problem to have again!

:)

Tennesseeduke

In both of these threads you have predicted a freshman to be one of, if not THE, best at their position. Get ready to be disappointed because that's just not gonna happen.

Exactly! 2 yrs ago yes freshman come in and win a spot. Much more difficult now!

Tennesseeduke

Defense and Star rating depth & size:

1st Team DL
DE Kyle Phillips 5* 6-4 263lbs
DT K-MacKenzie 5* 6-3 320lbs
DT Shy Tuttle 4* 6-2 308lbs
DE Jon Kongbo 5* 6-6 264lbs

2nd Team DL
DE Darrell Taylor 4* 6-4 254lbs
DT Kendall Vickers 3* 6-3 295lbs
DT Quay Picou 3* 6-1 280lbs
DE Deandre Johnson 4* 6-4 258lbs

1st Team LB's
MLB Darin Kirkland Jr. 4* 6-1 238lbs
WLB Cortez McDowell 3* 6-0 228lbs
SLB Quarte Sapp 3* 6-2 222lbs

2nd Team LB's
MLB Colton Jumper 2* 6-2 229lbs
WLB Austin Smith 3* 6-3 236lbs
SLB Daniel Bituli 4* 6-3 235lbs

1st Team DB's
CB Emmanual Mosely 3* 5-11 184lbs
SS Todd Kelley Jr 4* 5-11 200lbs
FS Nigel Warrior 4* 6-0 194lbs
CB Marquill Osborne 4* 5-11 188lbs

2nd Team DB's
CB Shaq Wiggins transfer 5-10 170lbs
SS Justin Martin 4* 6-1 196lbs
FS Rashaun Gauldin 3* 6-1 193lbs
CB Baylan Buchannon 3* 5-11 185lbs

P Daniel 3 yr starter 6-1 227lbs

WE LOOK LIKE AN SEC TEAM GETTING OFF THE BUSS NOW. GOOD GRIEF A FEW YEARS AGO I WAS WORRIED ABOUT HOW SMALL THEY WERE. NOT NOW!

THOUGHTS VN??

:loco:

TENNESSEEDUKE

Who had Deandre Johnson as a 4* Recruit? He was a LOW 3 STAR, Marginal take. Our DE situation is not good.

Reactions: 3 people
Is Ja'quain Blakely in a position to help us at DE this year depth wise? Anyone? I know he made the position switch from LB but also read he's at 255 pounds now soooo maybe??

Last edited:
Didn't say he wouldn't eventually be the starter but Day 1 I don't think so. Maybe I'm wrong but as a former coach there is an earned period to go through IMHO.

Tennesseeduke

So you're a former coach? And this rule is followed by all your former brethren?

Still need to find a speed rusher on defense, develop the depth at LB, find a cover corner, get more production out of the safeties. While some of you are touting this defense as being talented at every position need to remember; Not a single Tennessee defensive player was named to the 1st, 2nd or 3rd team all SEC pre-season team. NONE.

Reactions: 1 person
While some of you are touting this defense as being talented at every position need to remember; Not a single Tennessee defensive player was named to the 1st, 2nd or 3rd team all SEC pre-season team. NONE.

Nor should they be. We have talent but MUCH to prove.

Reactions: 1 person
In both of these threads you have predicted a freshman to be one of, if not THE, best at their position. Get ready to be disappointed because that's just not gonna happen.

No, I said Murphy would be the 2nd best WR by the end of the year. I may be wrong about Matt Butler being the best DE, but he will contribute a lot, this year

Now, Murphy is a bigger longshot than Butler. But, we will find out soon

Last edited:

Tennesseeduke

He's a grad transfer, a former All-ACC player and a Senior. I think he gets the benefit of the doubt in the "earned period"...

VN Store

Back