2017 DEFENSE Talent & Depth Perspective

I've never understood how players get coached poor techniques by position coaches who work for a head coach and coordinator. Aren't those two also liable for poor techniques?

Well, that is why Martinez was fired. He did not do his job.

I've never understood how players get coached poor techniques by position coaches who work for a head coach and coordinator. Aren't those two also liable for poor techniques?

So, is he a micro manager or not. Can't have it both ways just to fit a particular point on a particular day.

Reactions: 1 person
So, is he a micro manager or not. Can't have it both ways just to fit a particular point on a particular day.

you're a bad manager if you allow an employee to execute poorly at their job. You correct that employees mistakes rather than let them continue to happen. that is pretty basic management.. that is not micro management.

We had a DL coach several years ago that really had no idea at all how to coach. In mid-season he was shuttle aside and someone else took over coaching his kids. That move was made by a head coach we ended up firing. I mean you don't let a coach continue to coach poor techniques without doing something to prevent losing games. JMO

Reactions: 2 people
you're a bad manager if you allow an employee to execute poorly at their job. You correct that employees mistakes rather than let them continue to happen. that is pretty basic management.. that is not micro management.

We had a DL coach several years ago that really had no idea at all how to coach. In mid-season he was shuttle aside and someone else took over coaching his kids. That move was made by a head coach we ended up firing. I mean you don't let a coach continue to coach poor techniques without doing something to prevent losing games. JMO

He fired him. Have not seen many position coaches fired mid season. I am sorry you no longer have the access to the program you had prior.

I have had to fire employees before and it isn't something you just do in a whim. It takes time so you don't put the company at a worse position by doing it before you have everything lined up. Of course some things do cause immediate terminations but Martinez didn't pull a Petrino.

by talking them out of it. It happens all the time, every year. Kids want to transfer every year and staff talks them out of it.

And then there are the ones that transfer anyway...happens every season (or "all the time"). Saban has stated he tried to keep Kamara. Know he wanted to keep Blake Barnett...at least til THE END of last season. That goldarned free will messes up a good reality. :)

Same comment I made on the offense thread, years of experience mean a lot. Also their health and injury status. Big Mac and Shy were injured last year. I would think they would be used sparingly and given plenty of medical treatments to keep them healthy. I would start them, use them in key situations, and save them for close SEC games with 5-7 minutes left. Other than that, Shoop is definitely on the clock this year. More so than Butch. I'm betting they will play the best player (experience, talent, motor, mental) first. GBO! CBJ has definitely moved us to a place where we can play 60 minutes with the top of the league barring another injury disaster like 2016.

Sounds like Larry has fallen out of love with Butch...

I have had to fire employees before and it isn't something you just do in a whim. It takes time so you don't put the company at a worse position by doing it before you have everything lined up. Of course some things do cause immediate terminations but Martinez didn't pull a Petrino.

Bajakian was gone after 2 years iirc. Jancek after 3. The DB issues have been glaring since year 1.

Glad Jones has finally made some serious moves... but they WERE too long in coming.

3 glaring problems with your depth chart:
1) Vickers is a starting DT, alongside Tuttle (when healthy) or McKenzie
2) Starting CB's will be Wiggins and Martin IMO.. it sure as heck won't be Moseley and Osborne...
3) You won't keep Gaulden off the field, he will start.
agree with all this plus... he has WLB and SLB backwards on 1st team in fact i would go so far as to say it would be Jumper starting at SLB and Sapp at WLB

agree with all this plus... he has WLB and SLB backwards on 1st team in fact i would go so far as to say it would be Jumper starting at SLB and Sapp at WLB

If Jumper starts, the D won't be improved. Have to respect his heart and head... but he just cannot compete physically with top end SEC players. Too many times they just ran by or over him.

Reactions: 3 people

I've never coached football, so I could be way off on this but I'm going to try to draw an analogy with teaching. In teaching, the state tells you what to teach, and the principal/school/district may even tell you how to teach it. However, you can still end up with a rockstar teacher in one classroom and nothing more than a warm body taking up space in the next one. Results on state tests often reflect this, and lots of research exists to suggest that teacher quality is the number one factor in determining student success. Yet sometimes, those teachers are still kept around longer than they probably should've been because of things like personal loyalty or the belief in a latent potential that may or may not ever materialize.

If position coaches were as much of a non-factor as you suggest, I just don't think they would command the kind of money they do at the division 1 level and their value would be based solely on recruiting prowess.

Last edited:
If Jumper starts, the D won't be improved. Have to respect his heart and head... but he just cannot compete physically with top end SEC players. Too many times they just ran by or over him.

If Jumper starts we are in for a terrible defense and a very long season. I have no clue how people can still mention him with how awful he was the last half of the year. He regressed more than any player I've ever seen in a single season. His game against Vandy was probably the single worst performance I've ever seen from a defensive player.

3 glaring problems with your depth chart:
1) Vickers is a starting DT, alongside Tuttle (when healthy) or McKenzie
2) Starting CB's will be Wiggins and Martin IMO.. it sure as heck won't be Moseley and Osborne...
3) You won't keep Gaulden off the field, he will start.

Vickers will likely start, but he does very little when you figure he is almost always in one on one situations and never doubled. K-Mac and Shy are the two DT's who always draw the doubles. It would be awesome to see them out there together. That means at least one of those two guys would finally get the opportunity to be in one on one situations and do some real damage.

Think about this:

The '85 Vols had no one drafted.

I know Tim McGee was drafted and had some great years with the Bengals

Butchna beat me to it and added more players that I don't remember being drafted. Of course, none of them had the career McGee did

Last edited:

VN Store

Back