2013 Recruiting Big Board

jack whitman is having a great start in the AAU season for the tennessee travelers.

hes putting up consistent 18pt 12rbd numbers a night so far against good competition. could end up being a very good player, sounds like he is just a fundamentally sound guy. heres a write up from today:

Jack Whitman, 6′-8″, 2013, PF, Tennessee Travelers – While many of the prospects in the EYBL are known quantities, every once in awhile an unknown player surfaces. That player was Whitman who was effective on the inside for the Tennessee Travelers in action on Saturday. He has an average frame and body but plays basketball the right way, and shows effort and an exceptional nose for the ball and basket. Whitman looks to be a player one will see starring in March Madness for a mid-major a few years down the road. He had 18 points and grabbed 9 rebounds against King James.

nothing has changed, duke and coach K have been been involved for awhile now. its not like this is the first time nichols has interacted with coach K.

On the first day that he could be out during the April live period last weekend, Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski was in the bleachers at Briarcrest Christian School for the Jack Jones Shootout. Participating in the event was BCS junior forward Austin Nichols, whom Duke had been keeping tabs on dating back to last summer.

It was Krzyzewski's first in-person evaluation of the 6-foot-8, 215-pound Nichols, and he was so convinced by his performance that, on Sunday afternoon, he called Nichols and offered him a scholarship.

"It was a dream come true," Nichols said. "Yet, I am totally neutral. I've had an extremely fun time with all this recruiting, and the first thing I got in my head when he said 'scholarship' was that it was a dream."

Nichols, rated a 4-star forward and the No. 40 player in the country by Rivals.com, now has offers from the Blue Devils, the University of Memphis, Tennessee, Florida, Virginia, Vanderbilt, and Texas, among others.

Last summer, Nichols attended a Duke elite camp but didn't come away with an offer. He said since the summer, he's spent more time in the weight room and practice gym than he ever had before.

Nichols is playing with the M33M Elite AAU club this summer. The team will participate in next weekend's Real Deal in the Rock in Little Rock, Ark.

"I just wanna have fun," Nichols said. "I wanna win with my team and just mainly have fun, as well as get bigger (in the weight room). I also don't wanna take anything for granted and play to the best of my ability."

Recruiting Insider: Briarcrest's Nichols reels in Duke offer - The Memphis Edge

^ so exactly like I said not the first time coach k has interacted with Nichols. The article said it was his first "IN PERSON EVALUATION", but they have absolutely been in contact before which is why I said. As the article states nichols attended a camp at duke, you don't think they talked?

Also, Nichols goes on to say that he's neutral in his recruitment, which kind of refutes the point you were trying to make earlier in another thread. You're making it sound like its duke 100%, if that was the case he would've committed already. It's a lot of kids dream to get that scholarship offer, it means you're one of the absolute best in the country and I'm sure that is a dream come true. Obviously an offer from duke means a lot more than an offer from Tennessee, this is common sense. However, he's not saying its his dream school like craft did or a santos, that's a completely different situation. As I said, getting a duke offer is like icing on the cake, it means he has arrived and all that hard work is showing, it doesn't mean he's necessarily going there. As I said, if it was this dream scenario you're trying to paint he would have committed on the spot, but he didn't, Infact he says he's still neutral in his recruitment.

I don't know if you're obsessed with duke or just a troll. But you're the same guy that was making a big deal out of the fact Nichols was gonna be playing for M33M, what happened to that?

Last edited:
I mean he can step out to 15 feet for a jumper, he runs the floor well with spacing, he keeps the ball high upon entry..

So what makes you say he won't be a good college bball player?

Dudes a serious troll and just wants to be negative about UT.

He first reports that Nichols and hubbs will both be playing for mike millers aau team. Mike miller was a gator so he starts to indicate that Florida will pull both of them.

Then coach k goes an watches Nichols in person and makes a big deal about it. What he didn't mention was that CCM was also in the gym at the same time.

Then duke offers an he posts quotes from Nichols saying duke is a dream offer. Only for Nichols to later clarify that he's neutral in his recruitment and still open. If it was such a dream school offer wouldn't he have committed on spot?

Now he's posting saying he doesn't think Nichols will be a good college player after watching video from one game of him. Nevermind he's a consensus top 40 player and just tore up Europe for team us, this poster says hes a scrub.

This guy is obviously a troll and is afraid of CCM pulling guys of Nichols talent and is jumping at any chance of negativity he can find.

Duke got serious and made an offer, that's what happened........

Wait...but i thought playing for M33M automatically made him a gator?

Duke has been serious for a long time, you just don't want to admit it. Duke doesn't offer guys years ahead like most schools, they offer them usually going into their senior year, just like they are with Nichols. In case you missed it Nichols wasn't their only offer the other day, they offered 4 2013 players thy same day, another of which was also a post guy.

This guy is obviously a troll and is afraid of CCM pulling guys of Nichols talent and is jumping at any chance of negativity he can find.

Why would i be afraid of CCM signing All-Americans, it's good for the UT and the Bball program. I'm just not your average homer and I understand how to read between the lines.

Whats makes you think CCM will be able to sign the guys he's recruiting? The 2012 class is mediocre, and the Stokes situation was a fluke if anything. As for Nichols i firmly believe he's headed to Duke now that he has an offer, how many recruits would turn down Duke for UT? There's nothing wrong losing a recruiting battle against Duke (a Blue Blood), Memphis and UT lost Elliot Williams to Duke.

Video of Austin at the The Jack Jones Invitational Camp 2012. The more i see this kid play the more i'm convinced he's not going to be that good of a college player.

Austin Nichols (Briarcrest 2013) @ The Jack Jones Invitational Camp 2012 - YouTube

Yeah, Coach K has made a real living making offers to kids who can't hack it. Get real. IIRC, Elliot Williams was the first Memphis player K ever offered. I don't imagine too many others have fit that bill in the meantime (maybe Leslie McDonald, Adonis Thomas). So, Nichols getting an offer tells me that K thinks he can play. I'll take his word for it.

Yeah, Coach K has made a real living making offers to kids who can't hack it. Get real. IIRC, Elliot Williams was the first Memphis player K ever offered. I don't imagine too many others have fit that bill in the meantime (maybe Leslie McDonald, Adonis Thomas). So, Nichols getting an offer tells me that K thinks he can play. I'll take his word for it.

cncchris33,

you're totally correct, no argument from me......

Why would i be afraid of CCM signing All-Americans, it's good for the UT and the Bball program. I'm just not your average homer and I understand how to read between the lines.

Whats makes you think CCM will be able to sign the guys he's recruiting? The 2012 class is mediocre, and the Stokes situation was a fluke if anything. As for Nichols i firmly believe he's headed to Duke now that he has an offer, how many recruits would turn down Duke for UT? There's nothing wrong losing a recruiting battle against Duke (a Blue Blood), Memphis and UT lost Elliot Williams to Duke.
He may very well be headed to duke, but if it was so dreamy and cut and dry as you're making it hed have already committed. The he hasn't commited, and the fact he has said so himself, would suggest he's still open. Also, not evey kid duke recruits has both their parents as Tennessee alum and friends on its team. How many good friends of Nichols does duke have on its team of? Agree, most recruits that have no ties to UT we'd have no shot probably, but Nichols is a bit different. He may very well sign with duke, but I can assure you Tennessee is still very realistically in the running.

What did you expect his 2012 class to look like. I challenged someone else to do the same...

Find me a coach who came from a mid major to a high major school with a black cloud hanging over its head from the NCAA, and had a significantly better 2nd year class than what CCM had? I'll wait...

All things considered his 2nd year class was about as expected. For someone who follows recruiting so closely, I'd have thought you'd have know who CCM targets were for 2012. He wasn't targeting many top guys like he is in 2013, because he knew it was too late. As I said I'll wait...

Last edited:

Remember Jalen Rose's comments that struck a nerve with Grant Hill

May have to add Kingsley back...

This from today:
Louisville, Florida and Alabama are firmly entrenched programs in Kingsley's recruitment. Kingsley also lists Tennessee, Kansas, Memphis and "all the other SEC schools." Kingsley said he's planning to check out the Gators and Crimson Tide.

"I haven't taken a visit to Florida but I'm hoping to so soon," said Kingsley. "Alabama and all the other SEC schools I'm trying to unofficially visit and then maybe make my decision. I'm planning to visit Alabama soon and maybe try to visit Louisville again."

When asked if he had any favorites, Kingsley replied," Florida, Louisville, I'm interested in Kansas, Tennessee and Memphis, then Alabama and the rest of them."

May have to add Kingsley back...

This from today:
Louisville, Florida and Alabama are firmly entrenched programs in Kingsley's recruitment. Kingsley also lists Tennessee, Kansas, Memphis and "all the other SEC schools." Kingsley said he's planning to check out the Gators and Crimson Tide.

"I haven't taken a visit to Florida but I'm hoping to so soon," said Kingsley. "Alabama and all the other SEC schools I'm trying to unofficially visit and then maybe make my decision. I'm planning to visit Alabama soon and maybe try to visit Louisville again."

When asked if he had any favorites, Kingsley replied," Florida, Louisville, I'm interested in Kansas, Tennessee and Memphis, then Alabama and the rest of them."

Gives off the vibe that he'd prefer to be at an SEC school IMO. Wouldn't blame him for going to Bama, but I'd take him here for sure.

Gives off the vibe that he'd prefer to be at an SEC school IMO. Wouldn't blame him for going to Bama, but I'd take him here for sure.

He LOVES Louisville, definitely the favorite at this point IMO, but other than Louisville it does seem like he likes the SEC. Getting him on campus to see everything would be huge.

VN Store

Back