'17 France 6'6" SF/SG Yves Pons.

Yep. 6 year, 200 game miracle.

I think Pearl was a great in-game coach. That made a big difference for some players.

I always viewed Barnes as a good recruiter, maybe OK developer of talent, but a terrible in-game coach. Now that I have seen him at TN, I think he spends a lot of time in the gymn, and he is a very good in-game coach - maybe not the best, but quite good. He must be a good evaluator of talent as well, judging by this Freshmen class.

I think Barnes' plan is working. Hopefully, we are turning the corner, and these Freshmen are growing up before our eyes. Pons would be a great addition. Can't wait to see what he and the young Sophomores can do next year. If most everyone keeps improving, we have a lot to look forward to.

In this forum in the past week I've read where Pearl wasn't a good floor coach and now it's being implied that he didn't develop talent.

Pearl must be the luckiest coach. Ever. Made six straight tourneys here with no players, no development and no coaching.
Whoa taking things out of context and exaggerated much?

You seem to look for every Pearl/JP related post to argue/comment on in all honestly. All decent coaches develop their players to an extent, I'm pretty sure any player could tell you that.

Whoa taking things out of context and exaggerated much?

You seem to look for every Pearl/JP related post to argue/comment on in all honestly. All decent coaches develop their players to an extent, I'm pretty sure any player could tell you that.

My man crush on JP has become kind of a running joke.

I'm not exaggerating on Pearl. Some posters on this board are slowly trying to rewrite history about his tenure here. It's absurd.

I love Derek Reese's only fan coming on here and implying that I'm being bias though. That's a good one.

Reactions: 1 person
My man crush on JP has become kind of a running joke.

I'm not exaggerating on Pearl. Some posters on this board are slowly trying to rewrite history about his tenure here. It's absurd.

I love Derek Reese's only fan coming on here and implying that I'm being bias though. That's a good one.
When was the last time I mentioned Derek Reese? I loved him as an underdog, similar to the role Lew Evans plays.

I only say that because the only time you seem to respond is when someone states an opinion on Pearl/JP. Pearl had a lot of good, but his last year really tarnished a lot of what he accomplished.

In this forum in the past week I've read where Pearl wasn't a good floor coach and now it's being implied that he didn't develop talent.

Pearl must be the luckiest coach. Ever. Made six straight tourneys here with no players, no development and no coaching.

Based on Auburns play so far part of me wonders if Forbes and Shay were his coaching keys while Pearl was the face/recruiting machine. That said I miss me some Pearl and always will. Barnes is great though

Reactions: 2 people
Nope. Maymon was healthy under Pearl and his knee started bothering him during his Sophomore season under Cuonzo.

My bad. I thought his knees were that way when he tranferred in. I loved his effort while he was a Vol. We have guys that play with that heart now. And im loving the future of this team.

Based on Auburns play so far part of me wonders if Forbes and Shay were his coaching keys while Pearl was the face/recruiting machine. That said I miss me some Pearl and always will. Barnes is great though

He definitely misses those two guys. I'm sure Bruce knows now there's a big difference in having guys like Forbes and Shay vs looking down the bench and seeing Steven's ugly mug staring back at you.

When was the last time I mentioned Derek Reese? I loved him as an underdog, similar to the role Lew Evans plays.

I only say that because the only time you seem to respond is when someone states an opinion on Pearl/JP. Pearl had a lot of good, but his last year really tarnished a lot of what he accomplished.

I've limited my posting in this forum by choice.

I've never missed an opportunity to brag on JP.

Probably don't miss many chances to correct people who try to crap on Bruce's time here. The most fun six years of hoops we may ever see as Vol fans.

Shocker. I don't like either coach, but to give Cuonzo more credit than DT for helping Josh get to the NBA just exposes your agenda again

No agenda. Just facts. J Rich improved steadily under Martin. J Rich played Tyndalls season at about the same level Martin had gotten him to by the NCAAs. Martin developed him. Tyndall couldn't even make the NIT with him and Punter.

I've limited my posting in this forum by choice.

I've never missed an opportunity to brag on JP.

Probably don't miss many chances to correct people who try to crap on Bruce's time here. The most fun six years of hoops we may ever see as Vol fans.

It was a fun time while Pearl was here. But i put him in the category as other coaches that are really good recruiters to their style but very bad X's and O's coaches. Pearl let his guys play a fanatic pace at times. Freeballing three's and playing uptempo. I like our solid defense and offense wjth a purpose. The excitement is coming. Maybe not the same level as Pearl. But i doubt we have to worry about any more illegal barbecue parties either.

Reactions: 3 people
It was a fun time while Pearl was here. But i put him in the category as other coaches that are really good recruiters to their style but very bad X's and O's coaches. Pearl let his guys play a fanatic pace at times. Freeballing three's and playing uptempo. I like our solid defense and offense wjth a purpose. The excitement is coming. Maybe not the same level as Pearl. But i doubt we have to worry about any more illegal barbecue parties either.

I'll just say I disagree and leave it at that.

Maymon's knee was an issue late in his career, not while Pearl was here. His issue with Pearl was accepting his role as a post player. He fancied himself as a perimeter player and it played a role in his transfer from Marquette to Tennessee.

According to Maymon the year long layoff had left him totally out of basketball shape and it took him a year to get that back.

Pons would be the biggest GET since Jarnell Stokes.

Watching Pons and he has 1st round NBA talent

Reactions: 2 people

Well since the Vols kick the crap out of them they have beat Alabama, Miss. State and beating Ole Miss and have a current record of 16-8.

I must also disagree with this. But I do think some of Pearl's success can be attributed to a better than average staff. The inbound plays under our own basket were awesome under Pearl. And Forbes is doing a very solid job at ETSU.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back