'17 France 6'6" SF/SG Yves Pons.

I guess he's referring to the ones who face amateurism issue since a lot of overseas players have played with pro teams. A lot of people were worried that if we would have landed Omer Yurtseven that he wouldn't have even been eligible.

Yep. It depends on who they sign with. If it's UK, UNC, Duke, etc...no problem. UT on the other hand is another kettle of stinky fish when it comes to the NCAA. Like congress....there are two sets of rules. UT fans should always loosen up, stretch and have a supply of KY jelly on hand for what's coming.

Granted, I don't follow hoops recruiting the way many here do, but this kid impresses me as yet another in the long line of "athletes" UT takes as something of a project. Not saying athleticism isn't important because it certainly is, but I'd really like to sign a few who can dribble, pass and shoot the ball vs those whose strength is running, jumping and dunking. Yeah, I know you can coach passing, shooting and dribbling but not athleticism. I'm also aware that players who possess the complete package don't sign with UT but one of the blue bloods instead. Still, it would be nice to sign a "basketball player" vs "athlete" from time to time.

I long for the old days of basketball like the Celtics, Lakers of Bird/Magic days. Hated the Celtics with a passion, but man, Bird, McHale, Parrish and that bunch knew how to play this game. A beautiful thing. I haven't watched an NBA game in years.

Reactions: 2 people
Yep. It depends on who they sign with. If it's UK, UNC, Duke, etc...no problem. UT on the other hand is another kettle of stinky fish when it comes to the NCAA. Like congress....there are two sets of rules. UT fans should always loosen up, stretch and have a supply of KY jelly on hand for what's coming.

Granted, I don't follow hoops recruiting the way many here do, but this kid impresses me as yet another in the long line of "athletes" UT takes as something of a project. Not saying athleticism isn't important because it certainly is, but I'd really like to sign a few who can dribble, pass and shoot the ball vs those whose strength is running, jumping and dunking. Yeah, I know you can coach passing, shooting and dribbling but not athleticism. I'm also aware that players who possess the complete package don't sign with UT but one of the blue bloods instead. Still, it would be nice to sign a "basketball player" vs "athlete" from time to time.

I long for the old days of basketball like the Celtics, Lakers of Bird/Magic days. Hated the Celtics with a passion, but man, Bird, McHale, Parrish and that bunch knew how to play this game. A beautiful thing. I haven't watched an NBA game in years.

There is no special set of rules. They have no agenda against UT. If anything we are one of the teams that gets off easy because we are such a huge brand.

Its better to get great athletes with potential. You can't teach size and athleticism. Skills can be learned and improved. A team on top notch athletes will be a bunch of guys who can shoot but can't guard anyone because they don't have the size or athleticism. This isn't Hoosiers.

There is no special set of rules. They have no agenda against UT. If anything we are one of the teams that gets off easy because we are such a huge brand.

Its better to get great athletes with potential. You can't teach size and athleticism. Skills can be learned and improved. A team on top notch athletes will be a bunch of guys who can shoot but can't guard anyone because they don't have the size or athleticism. This isn't Hoosiers.
I'd settle for a couple of guys that can shoot the 3pt shot consistently. don't care how athletic they are.

Reactions: 2 people
I guess he's referring to the ones who face amateurism issue since a lot of overseas players have played with pro teams. A lot of people were worried that if we would have landed Omer Yurtseven that he wouldn't have even been eligible.

Yes, thank you, that is exactly what I'm referring to.

Actually UK lost out on a foreign player just a few years ago, due to an eligibility issue, who is now in the NBA.

I'd settle for a couple of guys that can shoot the 3pt shot consistently. don't care how athletic they are.

The shot comes. Other things don't. Look at J Rich. Athletic and a good defender. Developed a shot. That is more realistic path for developing players than taking a shooter without athleticism and thinking he can develop much further.

The shot comes. Other things don't. Look at J Rich. Athletic and a good defender. Developed a shot. That is more realistic path for developing players than taking a shooter without athleticism and thinking he can develop much further.

That theory hasn't produced much in the way of results last 5 or 6 years.
You need a mixture. A couple of pure shooters that can't dunk would really help.
Seen all the highlights of impressive dunks I need.
We need some guys that can put it in the hole..

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back