'16 TN ATH Gabe Angel

"In the 2016 class Gabe Angel caught the ball and consistently got separation. He had some really nice catches even though he had some balls thrown to his ankles. The quarterbacks were, as a group, poor all day."

-Fortenberry

Reactions: 3 people
"In the 2016 class Gabe Angel caught the ball and consistently got separation. He had some really nice catches even though he had some balls thrown to his ankles. The quarterbacks were, as a group, poor all day."

-Fortenberry

I really like a TE that can help his QB out on a bad throw...always a plus.

That would also require a very small family, considering Vandy has about five fans. Is he related to Clay?

I don't even think Clay likes Vandy anymore. His connection to them was a perfect storm created by the simultaneous suckitude of Dooley and the magnetic sales job done by Franklin. He doesn't know the new coach and he hates Kevin Stallings. I would expect to see him hop back on the UT wagon as soon as Jones starts winning some games.

"Just to get the chance to get out here to work with all these guys in position drills and all the different coaches, you get a lot better throughout the day," said the 6-foot-3, 217-pound Angel. "I feel like I got better. Just doing one-on-ones and stuff, being out here with great talent really helped."

Angel, who's made multiple trips to the University of Tennessee campus from his Cookeville home, shined particularly in one-on-one drills. Even on some poorly thrown balls, Angel oftentimes appeared to beat the linebackers' coverage with relative ease. It's an area that the versatile Angel has worked on and one that he believed he could showcase at the Rivals event.

"I felt like I could do that," Angel said, "because I don't really play the tight end position at the high school level. I feel like as far as getting off the ball and everything, I feel like I can do that pretty well because I work on that regularly."

"I play running back and receiver in high school. In college, they're talking about me playing some H-back and stuff, so that's why I was out here working," he said. "I want to continue to work on my route-running, perfect that. It can never be too good," he said. "You've got to always keep working on that."

-VQ

Angel hopes to make it over for the O&W game on April 12.

Reactions: 2 people
“i like ole miss, tennessee and kentucky,” he said. “they’re kind of standing out. I’m still talking to other schools right now that have not offered me yet, but those three stand out.”

Reactions: 1 person
Mason can't recruit?

Never would have guessed that. A guy from the west coast with no South Eastern ties. You don't say...

I believe they have 3 recruits coming in for their spring game tomorrow. Two of them make up their entire committed 2015 recruiting class.

I think it will be astonishing how fast they revert back to a 2-3 win program.

Speaking as someone who has seen him play numerous times in person, this shocks me. Kid has unlimited potential/great frame, but hasn't shown top 250 talent on the field yet. JMO.

Of course, he still has two more years to play as well.

Was it not you who said Hurd had a horrid game, in a game in which he ran for a tick under 300 yards?

I think your standards are bit high, lower them, then I may trust your evals. Thanks. JMO.

Reactions: 1 person
Was it not you who said Hurd had a horrid game, in a game in which he ran for a tick under 300 yards?

I think your standards are bit high, lower them, then I may trust your evals. Thanks. JMO.

I didn't say horrid. He had close to 300 yards, but he also had 30+ carries. I stand by what I said about that game as I was watching. When I added up the numbers, he proved me wrong stats wise. I said numerous times in the Hurd thread I wanted him to be a Vol and thought he'd be a good back. Just wasn't overly impressed with what he did against MJ.

As for Angel, I'm not going to judge a guy strictly off of his freshman and sophomore seasons. I'll wait and see what he does this year. Like I said, he's got great potential, and very good speed for his size. Just needs to transition it onto the field. Jmo.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back