'14 FL LB Jakob Johnson (UT Signee 2/5/14)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This kid looks like a beast! He attacks the ball carrier and doesn't avoid contact on the way to him like some other Johnson we all know.

This kid looks like a beast! He attacks the ball carrier and doesn't avoid contact on the way to him like some other Johnson we all know.

Maybe you know a Johnson that I don't? Because you can't be referring to AJ. AJ is a straight-up monster and he will assuredly be the next of our linebackers to end up excelling at the next level.

Reactions: 6 people
Maybe you know a Johnson that I don't? Because you can't be referring to AJ. AJ is a straight-up monster and he will assuredly be the next of our linebackers to end up excelling at the next level.

I'm pretty sure he was referring to AJ and he would be right. AJ let's contact come to him usually so instead of making players fall back he gives them another yard or two as he falls backwards with them. I want to see him be more violent at the point of contact

Go watch some of the defensive plays highlights. There's actually a video of plays of just AJ on YT that someone posted in the recruiting football talk thread not to long ago.

He runs around blockers, and jumps to the sides of blockers instead of engaging, and pushing through them. He also only seems to arm tackle. He needs to learn how to tackle THROUGH the ballcarrier. For how big and strong he is he does not make hardly any big hits. I can't recall a single one right now.

There's a good reason Butch has been cited as constantly harping on AJ during practice each week.

““They pretty much offered me right away. I was really surprised, especially that an SEC school would talk to me,”

“I mean, I’m from Germany. When I came here to do this high-school year, my plan was to get a scholarship, but I wasn’t even sure if I would start on the high-school team I would play for or if I would just be a backup or something.

“I’m really excited. I’m really happy.”

“When I came here, I really didn’t expect anything. I thought I would maybe get a Division II offer or an NAIA offer, so I’m really surprised and excited about all those things happening right now.”

“I’m trying to learn more about Tennessee, because I don’t really know a lot about any college. I think the only teams I knew before I came here were maybe Alabama and LSU. I didn’t really know about any teams before I came here. But what I know (about Tennessee) is that they’ve got a really big stadium and a really big fan base with a lot of dedicated fans and a lot of tradition. But I don’t really know nothing about Tennessee.

“I know whiskey or something is from Tennessee,” he said with a laugh. “But besides that, I don’t really know nothing about the state yet.”

Really cool article over on 247 about Johnson. These are just some of the quotes. I recommend anyone with a subscription go over there and read it.

Reactions: 3 people
Rivals slapped on their "we haven't evaluated this prospect yet, 5.4 2 star rating"

Tulane offered.

Does anyone know if this situation has anything to do with Dews? Would they grey shirt both of them (I can't see that happening but I don't know)? Or would a pickup from Johnson be bad news for Dews (no pun intended)?

Does anyone know if this situation has anything to do with Dews? Would they grey shirt both of them (I can't see that happening but I don't know)? Or would a pickup from Johnson be bad news for Dews (no pun intended)?

This has to do with Tommy Thigpen seeing this kid play last Friday and offering on the spot. This kid is 6'4 240lbs, runs like a safety and has only played american HS FB for a month. His offer list is going to grow quite a bit very soon. He's no grey shirt. And if Dews keeps putting up the numbers he's putting up this fall, he's no grey shirt either. Johnson is a MLB or maybe SDE down the road. Dews is an OLB or WDE down the road.

Glad we are in on the ground floor of this guys recruitment, he could be the steal of the year for somebody. 240 pounds and runs like a safety, we need him! GO VOLS!!

I wonder if he will ride out the season and see what offers come in or consider pulling the trigger early.

I wonder if he will ride out the season and see what offers come in or consider pulling the trigger early.

I believe he was quoted as saying he's going to wait a little while. His recruitment really just started. But he can't wait too long, he's set to be an EE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back