'12 VA DT Korren Kirven (Bama signee)

So many of you may need to actually read the new SEC rule and other actual info before you post on here. Trust just because someone on a board tells you something does not make it the truth. I have posted numerous times the new SEC rule and how it works.

UA just like any other SEC school can only sign 25 players to NLIs for the incoming class of 2012.

UA did not sign a full class last year. According to Rivals, ESPN or whoever. We signed 23 recruits last year one being A Douglas. So the 2011 clas for UA that signed a NLI was only 22.

The SEC new 25 rule has a midyear exemption in it. A little different from backcounting with more gray area in it. It allows a school to take an EE and move them onto the current 85 roster so that they do not count against our incoming class. Just based off of last years numbers we should be able to bring in 28 players. 3 EEs that will count against last year and 25 for the new class.

EEs do not sign a NLI per the NLI website for the incoming 2012 class. EEs sign financial paperwork and when they sign their NLI it will be for the 2011 class. The EEs that fit into the new midyear exemption of the new SEC 25 rule.

When J Taylor said that UA can only sign 25 he was correct. We can only sign 25 players that will count against next years class. He was not an EE this year so he could not count as a mid year exemption.

UA currently has 27 players verbally commited. J Taylor will wait until next year. Now we have 26. B Hill and C Gladney if their grades continue to be a concern which all our sites are saying, both are headed to JUCO and we will only 24 players currently commited they will come in.

Of those our sites are saying 4 EEs are midyear exemptions. The new midyear rule also allows a team to replace a player that transfers or has made it known prior to Dec 1 that they are tranferring and they can be replaced. Why our sites thank we can sign up to 29 because of a player that is.

So if Hill and Gladney do not make it in this class and go to JUCO along with Taylor who will enroll next year, plus with the 4 EEs that will be midyear exemptions, UA currently only has 20 verbal commits that will sign a NLI come Feb, which means we have room to sign 5 more in this class. If the 2 do not go to JUCO and make it in, we still have room for 3 more players.

If I could post the interview with Rivals(paid) and Taylor you would see how bad of a job AJC does reporting. But to be honest any rival fan on the opinion of UA recruiting is not a concern.

The AJC guy is a huge UGA Homer....anything to make other programs look bad

You are right about the AJC. I wouldn't believe anything coming from that paper unless I can confirm it from another source.

The AJC guy is a huge UGA Homer....anything to make other programs look bad

I think Dooley is trying to cultivate a little homerism with the UT media...

Which makes me wonder... did Vince have to do that with the UGA media?

First of all, let me say that I am no "insider" nor do I have sources within any athletic dept. or anything like that.

However, I spent a few years living in Lynchburg and I have a close friend who works closely with students at Brookville HS. He says that while Korren is a "tough book to read," the feeling around the school is that he's down to UT and VaTech. He is loving the national attention and enjoying the process right now but that this past weekend at UT helped UT out a good bit. The visit to Maryland this week is just a visit and nobody considers them a threat at all. He also said most believe Bama has faded with him for several reasons. 1. He was close with Sunseri (something that helps us). 2. Their class is filling up. 3. He's not a huge fan of Saban's recruiting tactics and how he has a record of screwing over recruits late in the process just to make room for bigger guys.

My friend says most still believe he'll choose VT in the end and stick close to home as there is a lot of pressure, but that UT would be the other team to look out for. Things could change after he visits Bama, but that's where things stand right now. TIFWIW...

Reactions: 6 people
First of all, let me say that I am no "insider" nor do I have sources within any athletic dept. or anything like that.

However, I spent a few years living in Lynchburg and I have a close friend who works closely with students at Brookville HS. He says that while Korren is a "tough book to read," the feeling around the school is that he's down to UT and VaTech. He is loving the national attention and enjoying the process right now but that this past weekend at UT helped UT out a good bit. The visit to Maryland this week is just a visit and nobody considers them a threat at all. He also said most believe Bama has faded with him for several reasons. 1. He was close with Sunseri (something that helps us). 2. Their class is filling up. 3. He's not a huge fan of Saban's recruiting tactics and how he has a record of screwing over recruits late in the process just to make room for bigger guys.

My friend says most still believe he'll choose VT in the end and stick close to home as there is a lot of pressure, but that UT would be the other team to look out for. Things could change after he visits Bama, but that's where things stand right now. TIFWIW...

Saban will find a way to sign 38 players. Wait and see.:banghead2:

I think that is all we can ask for at this point in time...

Tell him, he can be a rock star in Knoxville!

I am still looking for some video to watch on Korren. Junior year is fine. Anyone know a location? I can't find a thing out there on YouTube

According to Rivals he visited Maryland over 9th of Jan. All sites are showing him to take his OV this weekend to UA. Now if he had no interest in UA or concerns about spots feeling up I doubt he would still take the visit this weekend. So maybe he will not but to visit UA for fun is not the same as visiting LA.

According to Rivals he visited Maryland over 9th of Jan. All sites are showing him to take his OV this weekend to UA. Now if he had no interest in UA or concerns about spots feeling up I doubt he would still take the visit this weekend. So maybe he will not but to visit UA for fun is not the same as visiting LA.

You are correct. When I said this week, I meant he is currently visiting Maryland. Monday-Tuesday or Wednesday. He is visiting Bama this weekend. Sorry I wasn't completely clear there.

Good info. I would really like to bag another freshman DT out of this class.

You are correct. When I said this week, I meant he is currently visiting Maryland. Monday-Tuesday or Wednesday. He is visiting Bama this weekend. Sorry I wasn't completely clear there.

My Father's Pizza sounds very good for lunch today. To bad I am in Chapel Hill.:sad:

Don't discount Tuscaloosa. They have about as many homeless people and muggers as LA.

My Father's always sounds good. Only to be followed with ice cream from Dairy King. :yes:

The Dairy King for soft serve. I know the guys that own the bar above MFP really well. Great little town to hang out in.:)

And if you flyfish go see Kenny Palmer at One Fly. He is one of the better guides in the area and he will also tell of some great spots.

Last edited:
Just read from one our sites that the staff wants to take 2 more DL in this class. That Kirven and Goldman both have a spot if they want it. If we miss on one of those it appears that C Casher wants to join the class, but was just told that right now the class is full. Apparantly it was Sunseri that advised early in the process to not take Casher's commit.

So I guess this weekend visit with Kirven will be interesting as well we have so other uncommited recruits in town with him.

Just read from one our sites that the staff wants to take 2 more DL in this class. That Kirven and Goldman both have a spot if they want it. If we miss on one of those it appears that C Casher wants to join the class, but was just told that right now the class is full. Apparantly it was Sunseri that advised early in the process to not take Casher's commit.

So I guess this weekend visit with Kirven will be interesting as well we have so other uncommited recruits in town with him.

This doesn't bode well with TN

This doesn't bode well with TN

I actually think Kirven ends up at VT. If not UA and UT both have legit shots. If he can be healthy UT would be better because of depth and chance to see the field early, but again VT in the end. But UA will know more after this weekend where we stand.

VN Store

Back