'10 CA QB Nick Montana

Brandon Huffman at Scout.com has listed Tennessee amongst Montana's 14 offers, however, Rivals lists UNC in place of Tennessee.

Tennessee, Washington, Arizona State, Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Florida State, LSU, South Carolina, Nebraska, Stanford, Arizona and Maryland are the 14 offers mentioned by Huffman.

I e-mailed Huffman for clarification. If he has any updates to share, I'll post again.

I think it's odd that Butch Davis and Sarkisian would both offer Montana and we wouldn't. They seem to have made similar offers at many positions up to this point, quarterback included.

Last edited:
If it's not Notre Dame, Montana stays in Cali and goes to Stanford in my opinion... That's where his mother wants him to go to school... His Dad obviously wants him to go to Notre Dame, but I'm not sure Nick is as good as his dad was... Not to mention, Joe was only good once Walsh took over the 49ers and implemented an offense never before run in the NFL... Not saying that Joe wasn't good, but he was kind of a system guy like Tom Brady is...

If it's not Notre Dame, Montana stays in Cali and goes to Stanford in my opinion... That's where his mother wants him to go to school... His Dad obviously wants him to go to Notre Dame, but I'm not sure Nick is as good as his dad was... Not to mention, Joe was only good once Walsh took over the 49ers and implemented an offense never before run in the NFL... Not saying that Joe wasn't good, but he was kind of a system guy like Tom Brady is...

Joe is the best QB to ever pick up a football. Brady is way up there too...

Huffman just e-mailed me and said that it may be a verbal offer, but he was told by Montana that Tennessee had offered.

Huffman just e-mailed me and said that it may be a verbal offer, but he was told by Montana that Tennessee had offered.

I never really thought about how players were offered. I know some get letters in the mail, but I didn't know if they had to get a letter for it to be legit, or if a verbal would work just as well. Interesting.

you are trying to down-play JM and TB? What you fail to recognize is that the system does not make the QB, the QB makes the system. Walsh's system has been implimented many times since then, and nobody ran it better than Joe.

Now back to Nick......... I too am suprised that we have not offered him yet. This could be due to a poor review from this staff OR due to Kiffin's confidence in UT's chances with one of the other QB's we are after.

I never really thought about how players were offered. I know some get letters in the mail, but I didn't know if they had to get a letter for it to be legit, or if a verbal would work just as well. Interesting.

A verbal generally precedes an official offer. Generally.

We better have as many qb's on the table as possible because we got 0 this year in recruiting. And a guy with Montana DNA would be better than what we have for sure.

Actually, we have had 0 QBs the last 2 recruiting years since Casey Kelly never made it on campus.

you are trying to down-play JM and TB? What you fail to recognize is that the system does not make the QB, the QB makes the system. Walsh's system has been implimented many times since then, and nobody ran it better than Joe.

Now back to Nick......... I too am suprised that we have not offered him yet. This could be due to a poor review from this staff OR due to Kiffin's confidence in UT's chances with one of the other QB's we are after.

I don't disagree with you... but if you look at this past season, a Bradyless Pat's team missed the playoffs because their defense lost games for them, not because Brady wasn't at the helm. Would the offense had been better with Brady instead of Cassell? I would say yes, absolutely! But! Cassell did way better than anyone thought he would. I would say putting a QB, who hasn't played in a meaningful game since high school, into an NFL game running a "system" offense and winning 11 games, a direct result of being a "system" QB. So yes, while I do think Brady and J. Montana ARE/WERE amazing QB's, they weren't that great until they hit the NFL and got into a "system" that made them great.

Last edited:
finding the right players for the right system is important. Just ask RR in Michigan. Just ask Ainge, just ask the 2008 Vols.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I don't disagree with you... but if you look at this past season, a Bradyless Pat's team missed the playoffs because their defense lost games for them, not because Brady wasn't at the helm. Would the offense had been better with Brady instead of Cassell? I would say yes, absolutely! But! Cassell did way better than anyone thought he would. I would say putting a QB, who hasn't played in a meaningful game since high school, into an NFL game running a "system" offense and winning 11 games, a direct result of being a "system" QB. So yes, while I do think Brady and J. Montana ARE/WERE amazing QB's, they weren't that great until they hit the NFL and got into a "system" that made them great.

Now you're reaching. Thier D was not top 5, but they were still a top-tier defense. The near-undefeated team of the year before was so great because they out-scored everyone. They set NFL offensive records all over the place.

Now you're reaching. Thier D was not top 5, but they were still a top-tier defense. The near-undefeated team of the year before was so great because they out-scored everyone. They set NFL offensive records all over the place.

Actually he isnt reaching to far, the Patriots D was 26 out of 32 teams on 3rd down defense & they were 31 out of 32 teams in red zone defense. Thats BAD!

Didn't Joe beat the 49ers with the Chiefs? He also beat Elway in a shootout with the Chiefs. He also has some of the most memorable comebacks in Notre Dame history. The man is simply the best quarterback of all-time, system or not. No one was ever cooler in the clutch. He also won two superbowls without Rice. I would be happy with Nick.

The man is simply the best quarterback of all-time, system or not. No one was ever cooler in the clutch. He also won two superbowls without Rice.

I don't think I have ever heard anybody argue that he's not the best QB ever. It's always Montana at #1 then Brady, Manning, Unitas, Marino, Favre, Staubach, Elway, Bradshaw, Aikman,and Young fighting for positions 2-11...

Theres a big breakdown in The Blind Side about the beginnings of Walsh and all of that. I'll post some excerpts involving Montana in a little bit.

Montana is another one of those living off his daddy"s name like little "E". Not worth a crap. Skroggins is the MAN. You will see.

you are trying to down-play JM and TB? What you fail to recognize is that the system does not make the QB, the QB makes the system.

You mean like Danny Wuerffel? Or let me just make a list...

1. Danny Wuerffel
2. Shane Matthews
3. Terry Dean
4. Doug Johnson
5. Jesse Palmer

What do they all have in common? Gators QBs. Under Spurrier. All drafted except for 1. All washed out in the league. You honestly think they made Spurrier's system? Or were they a product of it?

VN Store

Back