1 second left and you don't offer any defense?

The problem people have is that there was no attempt whatsoever to guard the shooter. It doesn’t matter if she hasn’t made one her whole life. In that situation where you know she has to catch and shoot, it’s asinine not to contest the shot.

As far as probability goes, the probability of her making a contested shot is far less than her making a shot where no one is within eight yards of her.
It absolutely is about probability. Because if you knew she was going to make a 3, you would have fouled and made her make 2 FT’s to force overtime (which is stupid). That was about a 10% chance of going in, and we got unlucky. Anyone who knows basketball realizes that.

The problem people have is that there was no attempt whatsoever to guard the shooter. It doesn’t matter if she hasn’t made one her whole life. In that situation where you know she has to catch and shoot, it’s asinine not to contest the shot.

As far as probability goes, the probability of her making a contested shot is far less than her making a shot where no one is within eight yards of her.
This was not a coach's decision. A couple of players did not react when Kamilla stopped at the arc instead of going to the paint. Also not the coaches fault they missed two free throws that would have clinched the game. KJH actually did a great job today.

It absolutely is about probability. Because if you knew she was going to make a 3, you would have fouled and made her make 2 FT’s to force overtime (which is stupid). That was about a 10% chance of going in, and we got unlucky. Anyone who knows basketball realizes that.

Never even suggested fouling. I’m talking about simply putting a hand within five feet of her. You’re out of your element if you’re suggesting having no one within five feet of her is a good approach to the situation.

Reactions: JoeBinTn
Fire Kelly Harper now before she completely destroys the Lady Vol Program. The players played hard and fought back enough to win this game. 3.4 seconds left your best free throw shooter at the line and we lose. This is on Harper.

This was not a coach's decision. A couple of players did not react when Kamilla stopped at the arc instead of going to the paint. Also not the coaches fault they missed two free throws that would have clinched the game. KJH actually did a great job today.

So her players aren’t prepped well enough to recognize the need to put a hand in shooter’s face on a last second shot? That’s not a good look either.

No one has suggested it’s her fault that Powell missed the free throws. Of course this discussion wouldn’t be taking place if the free throws were made. As it happens, free throws were missed.

Whether it be that she had a poor strategy or that her players are so poorly coached that they don’t even know to contest a last second shot, coaching malpractice occurred. It is what it is.

Fire Kelly Harper now before she completely destroys the Lady Vol Program. The players played hard and fought back enough to win this game. 3.4 seconds left your best free throw shooter at the line and we lose. This is on Harper.
Our players and coached their butts off today after a slow start. You’re delusional.

Right or not, she is going to be the coach next season. Her job hasn’t been in serious jeopardy at any point this season.

Reactions: ATLVOLFAN01
The South Carolina girl was fixing to have to shoot a running 43-45 footer with no time left. It was not a smart foul. Then I don’t know what in Haiti that defense was. They didn’t defend the player throwing it in nor the freakin shooter. Weak weak weak. We fouled a person to keep them from shooting a running 44 footer only to give them a open look at the top of the key with 1.1 seconds left. Didn’t make it hard on the inbounds passer or the shooter. Weak weak weak sauce.

Spears shouldn’t have fouled it was going to be a very tough shot, she was going to let it fly. All we did was set them up better.

After watching the last seconds of the game again, I agree. I’m ok taking my chances on a freshman launching a quick 40-45 footer. Fulwiley spent most of the 4th on the bench too, so she probably wasn’t in a rhythm.

Letting SC get a final opportunity in the halfcourt is ultimately what got us.

I was stunned by the zero efforts at that point. 5 Vols standing and just enjoying the scenery.
With only 1.1 you play straight up. You for sure guard the inbound passer, with 1.1 you don’t let her make a easy pass. Remember Kentucky letting Grant Hill throw it to Laetner. We not only didn’t defend the inbounds passer we let a player get wide freaking open with only 1.1 seconds left. Just a standard defense makes this almost impossible to pull off. BUT before all that why in Haiti do you foul a player that is flying wildly up the court at mid court with 1.1left???? She was fixing to heave at least a 43-44 footer on the run. That is the shot you take your chances with. What happened afterwards is a gift 🎁 in basketball 101 with 1.1 left. These are just facts.

Maybe I missed something. I'm the opposite of a Kelly defender, but, as I understand it, a girl who had never made a 3 BANKED in a 3, and we're blaming the defensive philosophy. That was a deal-with-the-devil kind of play.
Yes. Staley said so herself in post-game interview. I believe Cardosa said she practiced that shot in warmups.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Yes. Staley said so herself in post-game interview. I believe Cardosa said she practiced that shot in warmups.
We didn’t even put someone on the inbounds passer! There is only 1.1 left it has to be a perfect pass or it’s game over. At that point it was 5 on 4 why in Haiti is anyone open. It has to not only be a perfect pass it has to be a catch and shoot. Nobody should have had a wide open look I don’t care if it’s the center or the woman from Mars. And before that why foul???? She kept a player from shooting from 43-45 ft while flying up the floor. That is the shot you wanted them to take. Folks quit trying to put sugar on the ending. While they played hard to get back in it they gift wrapped the win for them.

After watching the last seconds of the game again, I agree. I’m ok taking my chances on a freshman launching a quick 40-45 footer. Fulwiley spent most of the 4th on the bench too, so she probably wasn’t in a rhythm.

Letting SC get a final opportunity in the halfcourt is ultimately what got us.

Call timeout and put Jill or Key on the ball and put the other in the paint but at least have someone on the ball like it was a easy pass to the shooter that’s crazy like how..
In hindsight, both of those things are true. But none of that is coaching malpractice, just Kellie Harper's unbelievably bad luck. In general, you always foul if you have fouls to give in that situation to make them inbound again. But it did look like their player was just going to crazy heave it from the backcourt prematuraly. Jewel couldn't have known that when she fouled. Then the ball got advanced.

Also, the reason for not calling time out made sense and Dawn said she wouldn't have either. Don't want to let them draw up a play. But that turned out to bite bc our players looked confused about their defensive assignment. Not sure if Kellie meant for them not to closely guard the inbound pass. Then neither Rickea or TK reacted to Kamilla standing alone. Then KC pulled a rabbit out her a*s.

But none of it, none of it would have mattered if JP had just hit those free throws. This will never not hurt.

She practiced a shot, then missed it by nearly three feet. That's your explanation for why it was bad defense? Dawn is a great coach, but that was a horrible choice for a last second shot. Pure flukiness. That choice loses the game 9 of 10 times. ( Or more.)

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
after that post game presser i cant fake it , i see why kellie is so likeable amongst the big wigs and boosters , but overall .....this lost was the most painful ive felt in decades maybe since the 2016 holocaust against Syracuse . The part that sucks is that the cameras actually "Catch Harper Verbatimly yelling TK stay at the rim guard the rim over and over " and then we give a college d1 athlete an open free three to win the game lol. Like hey its yours to win if you can take it and Cardoso Mf Took it smh. Kelly is a good coach but not an elite coach she cannot win the big one nor recruit so where does the future lie ? I did like the fight the team showed but this is another sweet 16 team nothing more maybe even less.

Reactions: JoeBinTn
Holy Mackerel! Why was Key standing in the paint when her man is at the top of the key? I can take losing to a better team but I cannot take losing because of stupidity!!:mad:
You do realize Kelly literally told her to do that its on camera stupidity needs to be directed at the HBIC not TK .

Maybe I missed something. I'm the opposite of a Kelly defender, but, as I understand it, a girl who had never made a 3 BANKED in a 3, and we're blaming the defensive philosophy. That was a deal-with-the-devil kind of play.
WTH, we didn’t guard the inbounds passer. With 1.1 the pass has to be perfect. Nobody was on her. That is mistake number 1. The point guard was in no woman’s land, she was moot at this point. Mistake number 2. So while we weren’t guarding inbounds passer we had 5 on 4 but still felt it necessary to not guard the center at the top of the key the highest percentage 3 point shot. With 1.1 left it makes no sense to not guard everyone, this doesn’t even take a great effort. With 1.1 left at half court you always defend the inbounds passer with that amount of time any pass that isn’t perfect it’s game over. Maybe Harper and the team learn from this but denying the mistakes will not help anything. If she plays that same scenario the same way again she will deserve to be fired. I am going to give her the benefit of the doubt that she truly sees the errors better than some on here.

Reactions: acd4476
How could at least 1 of the coaches not see Key in dreamland and call a quick timeout before the ball was inbounded?
BECAUSE KELLY TOLD HER TO STAY AT THE RIM LITERALLY VERBATIM PLEASE WATCH IM SHOCKED AT HOW MANY PEOPLE DID NOT SEE OR ARE NOT CATCHING THE DIRECTION OF THE LEADERSHIP HERE and BLAMING THE PLAYER FOR FOLLOWING IT LOL

If that's the case why wasn't the coaches yelling that prior to the inbound pass instead of watching the day go by
THEY WERE mainly Kelly please go back and watch the replay read her lips you can even hear her lol TK GO TO THE RIM STAY AT THE RIM LOL

VN Store

Back