The Golf Thread

oh wow... that sucks GA. i had a friend win a closest to the pin at a scramble at Twin Creeks in Greeneville. TN. i want to remind you that greeneville is a little on the country side. So the prize was a .22 handgun and my friend was only 19 at the time and couldn't accept the prize.

:lol: That's pretty good.

The best thing I've ever won in a scramble was at a tournament in Wrightsville, GA (home of Hershel Walker) where they paid out all prizes in meat. My team won a cooler full of steaks and 4 racks of ribs.

Reason #684 why scramble format tournaments should be banished from the Earth.

I think scrambles should always be played in "eightsomes" (two groups together). I have no doubt that when scramble groups are alone on a hole it is worth at least five strokes. I have played in one scramble out of 50 where my team cheated on a score. It was killing my conscience, but it is impossible to reason with three drunks who would chide me mercilessly for the rest of my life if I protested too hard. The consolation was that we finished out of the money in fourth anyway.

I've never understood why people would feel the need to cheat, scramble or otherwise. The gift certificate to the pro shop just isn't that important to me.

On another note, it bothers me just about as much when people insist on strictly enforcing one of golf's myriad of rules while completely ignoring others. I played a round in Florida a few years ago with an acquaintance of mine who insisted on putting out every 3 inch tap in, which of course necessitated him reading it from every direction and taking 2 dozen practice strokes while the course backed up behind us. He also played from OB, took drops from the wrong places, and consistently grounded his clubs in hazards. Selective rule-Nazis suck.

i've seen people insist on the putting thing, yet constantly make sure their lie is always favorable. kills me.

It's pretty sad how little most people know about the rules. I'd bet that at least half of the drops people take are incorrect.

Drops are very tricky. I am sure that I have unintentionally broken just about every golf rule that exists.

How about this question: when is it appropriate to stop playing "winter rules"? Some of the courses here in Lexington are still nowhere near full playing shape.

As dry as it's been the past couple of years down here, we pretty much roll it in the fairway year round.

Drops are very tricky. I am sure that I have unintentionally broken just about every golf rule that exists.

How about this question: when is it appropriate to stop playing "winter rules"? Some of the courses here in Lexington are still nowhere near full playing shape.

When I say a bad drop, I mean really bad; think rolling it around and propping it up about 20 yards closer to the hole.

Actually, I don't have a problem with people who want to overlook some rules in a casual game so long as there is agreement between all of the players. I've also played with people who roll it on the fairway or who will take two strokes and drop near the point a ball went OB. All of the shortcuts have some logic to them (such as improving pace of play or not penalizing a good shot because of a drunken greenskeeper,) don't really give one player advantage over another, and can make the game lighter and more enjoyable. So I say play winter rules as long as you and your playing partners want to, just don't claim the course record if you do it in May and shoot a 62.

I agree with that completely. As long as everybody is playing by similar rules, I'd rather keep play moving.

I'm talking more about people doing things because they just don't know any better like dropping 50 yards from the correct spot because they don't know what to do for a Red vs. Yellow water hazard. Or
simply hitting a provisional when they airmail one into the trees rather than walking around in circles for 10 minutes.

When I say a bad drop, I mean really bad; think rolling it around and propping it up about 20 yards closer to the hole.

So I say play winter rules as long as you and your playing partners want to, just don't claim the course record if you do it in May and shoot a 62.

Get that blonde up here and lets hit the links! Winter rules it is.

The only time I have shot below 60 was on a par 56 "executive course" (a par 3 course with a few par 4s sprinkled in). I assure you that 62 is safe from me, and always will be.

I agree with that completely. As long as everybody is playing by similar rules, I'd rather keep play moving.

I'm talking more about people doing things because they just don't know any better like dropping 50 yards from the correct spot because they don't know what to do for a Red vs. Yellow water hazard. Or
simply hitting a provisional when they airmail one into the trees rather than walking around in circles for 10 minutes.

Part of the problem is that courses do not define their drop areas clearly enough.

Part of the problem is that courses do not define their drop areas clearly enough.

That's very true. And I really don't have a problem if somebody messes up because they just can't tell. But don't splash one just short of the green from 150 yards into a clearly marked Yellow hazard and then walk up to the green and plunk one down just off the fringe.

That's very true. And I really don't have a problem if somebody messes up because they just can't tell. But don't splash one just short of the green from 150 yards into a clearly marked Yellow hazard and then walk up to the green and plunk one down just off the fringe.

Don't do it! :eek:lol:

Give me the ruling on this: what if the water is running paralell to the fairway/green, and you hit the side of the green, and it rolls in the water. Where is your drop? I have never bothered to look it up.

Don't do it! :eek:lol:

Give me the ruling on this: what if the water is running paralell to the fairway/green, and you hit the side of the green, and it rolls in the water. Where is your drop? I have never bothered to look it up.

The rule Nazi says:

If the hazard is marked Yellow, you find the spot where the ball crossed the margin of the hazard and then drop anywhere in a straight line back keeping the point where the ball crossed the margin of the hazard between you and the flagstick.

If the hazard is marked Red, it is a lateral hazard which means you can either treat it like a regular water hazard or you have the option take the nearest point of relief within 2 club lengths of where the ball entered the hazard.

In either case, you also always have the option of treating it like a lost ball and replay the shot with a 1 stroke penalty.

Get that blonde up here and lets hit the links! Winter rules it is.

I'll let you know if we make it up there this summer with our sticks. I'm usually in Lexington a couple of times a year.

My home course is bad about that, as they only seem to refresh the areas for drops or under repair for tournaments.

It's pretty sad how little most people know about the rules.

I've never been afraid to ask from a ruling, even if it is from a playing partner who is as confused as I am, just to make sure things stay fair. My most memorable rules incident came on a par 5 that I was trying to reach with a muscled up 5 wood. My foot slipped on the downswing, and I topped the ball straight up in the air; the clubhead made contact with the ball again on the finish, striking it squarely and sending it about 100 yards OB. We were all laughing too hard to look up a ruling, so I drew an airplane on the card and moved on.

My most memorable rules incident came on a short par 5 that I was trying to reach with a muscled up 5 wood. My foot slipped on the downswing, and I topped the ball straight up in the air; the clubhead made contact with the ball again on the finish, striking it squarely and sending it about 100 yards OB. We were all laughing too hard to look up a ruling, so I drew an airplane on the card and moved on.

You're in luck . . . Hitting a ball while in motion + a lost ball = Airplane.

Wait wait wait wait

You can get a good SET of irons for $199.99?

I've only played golf for 1 season, and I've learned a ton, but I expected a set of irons to be $500-$1000. I have a rather large commission check coming in a few weeks, and $200 is easily expendable on GOOD irons.

How good are these bad boys?

Wait wait wait wait

I've only played golf for 1 season, and I've learned a ton, but I expected a set of irons to be $500-$1000. I have a rather large commission check coming in a few weeks, and $200 is easily expendable on GOOD irons.

I think they are talking about used clubs, which, if you can find a set that fits, should work just fine.

Wait wait wait wait

There is a link earlier in the thread Zona.

Wait wait wait wait

VolinArizona....you can get a very good set of new irons for around $ 200.00. I reccomend going to Rock Bottom Golf. com ..... their selection of Adams irons for the high handicapper can't be beat in quality or price.

VN Store

Back