The Golf Thread

I love playing with guys that get hung up on seeing how short a club they can hit into a green. It's so easy to get inside those guys' heads.

It has actually been somewhat of a detriment to my game. In my younger years I was hitting a PW 150-155, that put me in between clubs from 140 in. I have since learned that clubbing down gives me much better control, and allows me to go after pins more often.

The two advantages lengthy irons give over most people in my playing group is when they are hitting 5 irons, I will likely be hitting 7 or 8. It has been my experience, even with good golfers that once you get past the lofted 6 iron control is definitely compromised.

The other advantage occurs when they are hitting a five wood from 225 and I am hitting my three iron.

In my younger years I was hitting a PW 150-155

That's unreal. I couldn't hit a wedge that far if my life depended on it. A juiced PW for me goes about 130 and I really don't like to hit it much more than 120-125.

it takes talent to have 3 pars and a birdie and still shoot a 44.... a rough middle stretch to put it lightly. water hazards, trees, bunkers, you name it. fairways were hard as a rock and my ball would just roll and roll right through the fairway into trees and lots of trouble.

I love playing with guys that get hung up on seeing how short a club they can hit into a green. It's so easy to get inside those guys' heads.

I'm a HUGE fan of the playing partner, who, after a nice, straight, 230 yard drive on a par 5, walks up to his ball, looks down the hole to the green, 265 yards distant, and pulls his 3 wood out. Meanwhile, i have hit my 5 iron 2nd shot to around 120 yards from the green, a managable distance to have a decent hole.

Tapping his 3 wood on the ground, he says "I better hold up, i might buzz them if i get ahold of one", motioning to the group ahead that is putting out. Once the pin is replaced, he starts his pre-swing routine. By this time, the group behind us has already hit down on us, and there are so many people at the teebox that you'd think there was a "free beer" cart there. So he steps up, makes a choppy backswing, and crushes through the ball...his eyes widen, focusing 265 yards downrange on the flag, only to realize that he skulled the ball 65 yards to his front and left. "Man, 17 rounds ago i drilled my 2nd and ended up in the front bunker in 2", he says, slamming the 3 wood back into the bag, as i say to myself "how is this guy always walking up to the 1st tee when i get here after work?"

That's unreal. I couldn't hit a wedge that far if my life depended on it. A juiced PW for me goes about 130 and I really don't like to hit it much more than 120-125.

I have hit my PW more then 125 many times. I have bladed my PW on numerous occasions and hit it alot more then 125yds. You just have to know how to use your clubs. :)

Be the ball. Na na na na na naaaaaa....

That is why you played golf in college, and I am thrilled when I shoot 78 or under. :) My grandad was a scratch golfer for years, and is 80 now and still shoots in the 70's on a good day. He taught me how to swing down on the ball. He pinches everything. To this day I credit that with my iron length, especially with my longer irons.

That is why you played golf in college, and I am thrilled when I shoot 78 or under.
If only the golf ball cared that I used to be able to play. :)Believe me, I am very happy when I get it under 77 or 78. The worst thing that ever happened to me was when I figured out that I could put it on ice for 2-3 weeks at a time and still break 80. I haven't practiced since. I figure I've already put in my time being obsessed with low numbers. I'm all about having a good time at this point.

If only the golf ball cared that I used to be able to play. :)Believe me, I am very happy when I get it under 77 or 78. The worst thing that ever happened to me was when I figured out that I could put it on ice for 2-3 weeks at a time and still break 80. I haven't practiced since. I figure I've already put in my time being obsessed with low numbers. I'm all about having a good time at this point.

Unless you have the hand eye coordination of a real athlete or you can play three to four times a week there is no reason to get upset with a poor round these days.

I have found one constant. If I don't go to the range and I only play once a week I should just take the round as it comes. If and when I am able to play two or three rounds a week then I expect to shoot high 70s.

Would love to get out with some of you guys sometime. Sounds like you are some pretty damn fine golfers.

Would love to get out with some of you guys sometime. Sounds like you are some pretty damn fine golfers.

Just depends on what day that you ask. Another constant, I rarely play well when I expect too. Sometimes it all depends on that first swing, when you get on the tee and feel very comfortable over the ball.

Unless you have the hand eye coordination of a real athlete or you can play three to four times a week there is no reason to get upset with a poor round these days.

Exactly . . . I don't get why weekend golfers throw clubs. I understand frustration, but at some point common sense has to tell you "You stink because you don't put in the time."

Just depends on what day that you ask. Another constant, I rarely play well when I expect too. Sometimes it all depends on that first swing, when you get on the tee and feel very comfortable over the ball.

My whole goal is to survive the round long enough to figure out what my swing is doing that day and fix it.

My whole goal is to survive the round long enough to figure out what my swing is doing that day and fix it.

Luckily the only lessons I have had were from an LPGA pro. She still has the sweetest swing I have ever seen. I caddied for her husband in a state AM. She taught me just enough to give me more crap to think about in my swing.

My solution for swing problems these days is clubbing down and shortening my backswing a bit. It is no real long term solution, but it generally gets me through the bad rounds.

but it generally gets me through the bad rounds.

...and that's the whole key. The point of the game is to get from point A to point B; not too look good while trying. I always wonder how things might have been different if I had figured that out about 15-20 years ago.

I just have no consistency in my irons. I shoot about 90 (87-94) typically. I drive consistently and can putt well. My chipping/pitching game is a mystery and my irons are as well. Lately, I've been chunking my irons horribly. Nothing worse than a drive right down the middle, 150 to the pin and chunked 7-iron :aggressive:

I just have no consistency in my irons. I shoot about 90 (87-94) typically. I drive consistently and can putt well. My chipping/pitching game is a mystery and my irons are as well. Lately, I've been chunking my irons horribly. Nothing worse than a drive right down the middle, 150 to the pin and chunked 7-iron :aggressive:

That sounds like my Dad's game. He remedied it somewhat with going overboard putting woods into his bag. The man now carries a Driver, 4 wood, Hybrid, 7 wood, 9 wood, 11 wood and 13 wood. He even has learned to use a putting stroke and chip with the 13 wood. :wacko:

The worst was the day my phone rang and he asked me "What did you hit on #8 yesterday?". I told him I had hit a 7 iron and he said "You had it all wrong. I just aced it with an 11 wood." :swoon3:

That sounds like my Dad's game. He remedied it somewhat with going overboard putting woods into his bag. The man now carries a Driver, 4 wood, Hybrid, 7 wood, 9 wood, 11 wood and 13 wood. He even has learned to use a putting stroke and chip with the 13 wood. :wacko:

The worst was the day my phone rang and he asked me "What did you hit on #8 yesterday?". I told him I had hit a 7 iron and he said "You had it all wrong. I just aced it with an 11 wood." :swoon3:

Nice. Actually, the fairway woods aren't too good for me either! I'm going to have to get my swing straightened out.

I have news for you GA. He doesn't love you, and he never has. That is brutal.

Finey here is a link. For the money, I would recommend Tommy Armours.

Those are pretty good especially for the price. I played for a long time with a set of the old 745's and loved them.

VN Store

Back