The Golf Thread

PJ, I hate to beat a dead horse, but you will not find a better set of irons for the money. I have swung them all. I really like the way that the TA's are weighted. I have not been so impressed by the offerings from Nike.

wow. I'm shocked. Tommy Armour's are nice irons, but I don't think I've ever seen them get this much pub anywhere. That's the biggest thing about golf. There is not a universal golf club anywhere. Anyone in the market for new clubs should only buy clubs that they have hit. I'm personally not a huge fan of TA's. I'm hitting Ping I3 Blades right now and I love them. Does that mean the I3's are better for you than the TA's? absolutely not. All i'm saying is make sure you get clubs that much your tempo and swing. If the clubs don't feel comfortable to you, you're not going to like them.

wow. I'm shocked. Tommy Armour's are nice irons, but I don't think I've ever seen them get this much pub anywhere. That's the biggest thing about golf. There is not a universal golf club anywhere. Anyone in the market for new clubs should only buy clubs that they have hit. I'm personally not a huge fan of TA's. I'm hitting Ping I3 Blades right now and I love them. Does that mean the I3's are better for you than the TA's? absolutely not. All i'm saying is make sure you get clubs that much your tempo and swing. If the clubs don't feel comfortable to you, you're not going to like them.

I personally hit Taylor Burners with bubble graphite shafts, but if presented with the option of buying a set of new TAs for 199.00 to get started in the game I would say that beats the heck out of any price going or club going. I don't care for knock offs, and have not had a get experience test driving the new Nikes or Titleist (with the exception of my Volkies). I have played Cobras, Pings, and Callaways.

My suggestion was a reply to a request for new clubs under $250. Most people buying new clubs for the first time will not really understand what a club "feels" like. This is just an excellent bargain for a started set.

i agree it's an option. i was not trying to disagree with that, sorry if it came across that way. I just recommend hitting them first and making sure you like the feel. There's a number of Adams sets under $250 that are also great for the beginning golfer, especially with how forgiving they are.

The guy I just played with has the new Nike driver (330.00). I was using my friends Ping driver but it was half the size of the Nike driver.

i agree it's an option. i was not trying to disagree with that, sorry if it came across that way. I just recommend hitting them first and making sure you like the feel. There's a number of Adams sets under $250 that are also great for the beginning golfer, especially with how forgiving they are.

I have not hit Adams irons. Their woods are hit and miss for me.

I'm thinking that you must be lights out with a putter in your hand.

Here's a summary of my game:

Good drive
Crappy iron that ends up within 30 yards or so of the green
Chip/pitch somewhere on the green
Two putt for bogey

Alterations:

Decent chip/pitch and one putt for par or
Decent iron onto the green (somewhere) and two putt for par.

My card is mostly bogeys with some pars and doubles thrown in.

The other (and potentially more frustrating) alteration is:

Irons are working and card has fair share of pars and a few birdies;

Then comes the 10 on a hole!

This happened on my first legit shot at breaking 80 - I was on pace for about a 75. Took a 10 on the 16th hole (what's worse is that I was in a green-side bunker after 2!) then doubled 17 and bogeyed 18 for an 81 :shakehead:

Should have been happy about shooting an 81 but was mad for 2 days about blowing that hole so bad. :wacko:

virtually all new drivers are 460cc. some stay just below that number. I just can't shape those bigger drivers. I just upgraded to the Titleist 905T. it's only 405cc, but still a lot larger than my old 975d. I loved that club, but that larger heads give me so much more forgiveness.

Then comes the 10 on a hole!

This happened on my first legit shot at breaking 80 - I was on pace for about a 75. Took a 10 on the 16th hole (what's worse is that I was in a green-side bunker after 2!) then doubled 17 and bogeyed 18 for an 81 :shakehead:

Should have been happy about shooting an 81 but was mad for 2 days about blowing that hole so bad. :wacko:

I understand your pain, nothing is worse than an 80 or 81 until you have broken 80. I could spend hours recalling wasted shots in my head. That is pure torture.

So, give us a shot by shot recap of ten, including the hole layout. Did you go OB?

I understand your pain, nothing is worse than an 80 or 81 until you have broken 80. I could spend hours recalling wasted shots in my head. That is pure torture.

So, give us a shot by shot recap of ten, including the hole layout. Did you go OB?

come on lex! don't make him relive that. snowmen are bad enough to rediscuss...

I have not hit Adams irons. Their woods are hit and miss for me.

their irons have a nice feel and above all else are extremely forgiving. All I've hit are their multiple game improvement irons, so I can't speak for their tour irons, but if you're wanting to shape shots, well not so much. But the beginning golfer shouldn't even entertain thoughts of fades, draws, and cuts. just hit the ball straight.

Luckily, my dislocated elbow will keep me off of the course for about a month. That gives me plenty of time to talk smack before actually getting out there to iron out the bad habits developed during a winter of hibernation.

So Lex, where should I tee it up when in Lexington? The only courses I've played in the area are Conomara (the goats must have been in hiding that day,) and Mt. Sterling CC. Aside from being in the boondocks, I don't think I am allowed back in the city limits of Mt. Sterling, so that is no longer an option.

Luckily, my dislocated elbow will keep me off of the course for about a month. That gives me plenty of time to talk smack before actually getting out there to iron out the bad habits developed during a winter of hibernation.

So Lex, where should I tee it up when in Lexington? The only courses I've played in the area are Conomara (the goats must have been in hiding that day,) and Mt. Sterling CC. Aside from being in the boondocks, I don't think I am allowed back in the city limits of Mt. Sterling, so that is no longer an option.

I recommend Kearney Hills as a consistent golfing experience. They played a senior tour event out there for many years. Stay away from other public courses. I have been playing Houston Oaks in Paris consistently. It is a great track. When in Mt. Sterling you must play Old Siloh.

I have not played Conemara in two years, but I have played it at least 50 times. It was one of the few affordable courses for me as a college student.

Let me know when you are in town and I will plan a day around a golf outing. Once you are healed perhaps my nephew can get us on at Old Stone.

I personally hit Taylor Burners with bubble graphite shafts, but if presented with the option of buying a set of new TAs for 199.00 to get started in the game I would say that beats the heck out of any price going or club going. I don't care for knock offs, and have not had a get experience test driving the new Nikes or Titleist (with the exception of my Volkies). I have played Cobras, Pings, and Callaways.

My suggestion was a reply to a request for new clubs under $250. Most people buying new clubs for the first time will not really understand what a club "feels" like. This is just an excellent bargain for a started set.

I would also recommend Callaway's Pre-owned website. There are some very good deals out there on some equipment that is in pristine condition. It's been a few years since I bought irons, but I bought a set of Callaway X-16 Pros with rifle shafts for $459 and they were shipped to me still in the original bubble wrap and didn't look like they had ever been hit.

Let me know when you are in town and I will plan a day around a golf outing. Once you are healed perhaps my nephew can get us on at Old Stone.

I will take you up on that, but I might have to bring a certain young blonde haired duffer who posesses most of the talent in this relationship. She currently plays to a 6, which I think is slightly inflated.

My therapist told me not to relive it but I guess once more won't hurt :p

The hole is the #1 handicap. Requires a good and accurate drive. There is trouble all up the right side but the creek then crosses the fairway at 100 yards and runs up the left side of the green. There is literally less than 5 yards to the left of the green before the creek. On the other side of the creek is the cart path, about 5 yards of grass then nothing but tall (2 feet) scrub grass. Needless to say, you can't go left on your approach.

If your drive is not in the left of the fairway though, a big oak blocks your approach to the green. Fortunately, my drive was in the right location - I was about 165 out -- too much for my five iron so I hit a four.

I didn't catch it all and it pushed to the right and short into the green side bunker at the front of the green.

The green is deep and relatively narrow. It is a two/three tier job with a big drop from back to front. The pin was in the back on the top shelf about 6 paces from the fringe. Like a moron, I thought I'd try to fly my sand wedge to the back to get it on the right level.

Of course, I caught the ball relatively clean and flew it over the green into the rough behind the green (grass like monkey grass). It wasn't in deep so I decided to try to club it out. The green runs away from me and there's very little space to work with. I decelerated and didn't get it out. Tried again, it got out but nestled into the bermuda rough. Tried to delicately put it on the green and chunked it. Might have done that 2x. Determined not to have that happen again, I pitched again and it ran all the way down the hill to the front of the green (60 feet). 3 putts later I'm walking away stunned and writing a 10 on the card. My mind was not in it for the last 2 holes.

One more part to the story. If I had just hit the sandwedge onto the green and played to my strength of putting, I would have had a 6 at worse :ermm:

I will take you up on that, but I might have to bring a certain young blonde haired duffer who posesses most of the talent in this relationship. She currently plays to a 6, which I think is slightly inflated.

I could use that talent in some scrambles. Blonde duffers are perhaps the best kind.

I could use that talent in some scrambles. Blonde duffers are perhaps the best kind.

It is actually a little frustrating to watch a 110 lb. Barbie doll stand over birdie puts all day while I am trying to find my ball in the thick stuff. We have a standing arrangement--she can give me a stroke or play the hole from the blues, and she has that option every hole.

True story: the first time I ever played with her, I was actually playing very well--two over after four, tied in match play going into 5, a tough little par 3 on our course. I knock it on, she pulls hers way left into a trap, and my mouth starts outrunning my game. She gives an impish little smile and says, "That's OK, I'm a good sand player," and proceeds to hole a 30 yard bunker shot for birdie. It has been all downhill since then for me.

True story: the first time I ever played with her, I was actually playing very well--two over after four, tied in match play going into 5, a tough little par 3 on our course. I knock it on, she pulls hers way left into a trap, and my mouth starts outrunning my game. She gives an impish little smile and says, "That's OK, I'm a good sand player," and proceeds to hole a 30 yard bunker shot for birdie. It has been all downhill since then for me.

ouch.... i've learned having a female player in best ball tournaments is the key to victory. Let them tee off from their ladies tee and a 150 yd drive from them gives me a sand wedge in to the green. easy money every time.

ouch.... i've learned having a female player in best ball tournaments is the key to victory. Let them tee off from their ladies tee and a 150 yd drive from them gives me a sand wedge in to the green. easy money every time.

Reason #684 why scramble format tournaments should be banished from the Earth.

i learned the hard way. got burnt by others doing it. if they can get away with it, i can.

I got burned in a scramble last year. I had the long drive on the long drive hole with one group left to come through. I turn around and see the group behind me is about 30 yards beyond where I had hit it. Later I found out that the Women's golf coach at Mercer University was playing in the group behind me and took credit for longest drive on the hole despite her tee being 80 yards ahead of where I hit my shot from. :banghead2:

VN Store

Back