The Golf Thread

I go through the same thing. I don't practice enough anymore to shoot really low numbers, but I can usually get it together just well enough to make my expectations get way ahead of my ability.:banghead2:

When I start getting off of the tee, and my iron play really picks up, my expectations get the best of me as well. Unfortunately, the first part of my game to leave and the last part to come back is putting and anything inside 30 yards. It makes the first part of any golfing season very, very painful.

Nothing sucks more about the game of golf than striking the ball well all day and still shooting mid to high 80s.

I played another 18 this afternoon, and shot an 87..
I;m pretty happy with that, considering the wind was blowing about 30 miles an hour..

I played 3 days last week in Myrtle Beach and the 1st round on Monday the wind was 35 to 40 mph with gusts up to 48 to 50, it was so bad at times that it was almost unplayable. There were times when I was hitting against the wind that I had to 4 or 5 iron from 150 yards or less. The other 2 days were perfect, short game is good right now....a little inconsistant with the driver though.

I played another 18 this afternoon, and shot an 87..
I;m pretty happy with that, considering the wind was blowing about 30 miles an hour..
I went out there to hit balls both Sat and Sunday and the wind was so brutal, I resorted to punches on the range. I was even trying to punch my hybrid.

The wind helped on 7,8,9,10,15 and 16...

The other holes, it was definetly another 2 clubs...

Still a good weekend when I can play both days.

I went out there to hit balls both Sat and Sunday and the wind was so brutal, I resorted to punches on the range. I was even trying to punch my hybrid.

Tell me, as best you can, how to hit a punch shot. Also, if could, what are the circumstances where I should try a punch?

All pros hit ball before ground, then take divots that start about half inch beyond ball. Even sweepers like couples and norman take short iron divots. My problem with your getting under the ball is that your likely catching grass between the club and ball, lending to extra distance, but horrible ball control. Catching the ball before the ground is all about control and has nothing to do with extra yardage.
Hitting down through the ball has nothing to do with delofting the club and hitting the ball further, that's just a mistake. In fact, a large part of distance control is about getting the club back to the ball with the same loft every time and that should be the true loft that the club rests with at address.

i understand what you'r saying and i really agree with your last statement, which i again refer to just not following your wordings. when i think of coming down on the ball, i consider that delofting the club, keeping the ball down (to avoid wind or trees or such). To come "down on the ball" in my view is to play it back in my stance and almost hit more of a punch. I assure the last problem i have with my game is ball control. My biggest problem is getting off the tee. it's a mental thing for me. shifting early, coming up, etc. my iron play and short game are the strengths to my game.

in fact, i get less distance than most players i play with that i compare with. don't get me wrong, i still get favorable distances. for example, i hit my 7 iron 155, PW 120, 3 iron 200.

Tell me, as best you can, how to hit a punch shot. Also, if could, what are the circumstances where I should try a punch?

You didn't ask me but . . . Take a normal stance - ball about an inch further back in your stance than normal with hands pressed slightly forward - take a 3/4 swing and hang onto your release. DO NOT OVERSWING or you'll stick the club in the ground and chunk the daylights out of it and wonder why you took golf advice over the internet.

The knockdown shot is a great shot into the wind and in cases where you are trying to control distance. It's also a good "emergency" shot for higher handicappers to fall back on when you're not hitting it so well. You can punch it all the way around the course if you have to.

You didn't ask me but . . . Take a normal stance - ball about an inch further back in your stance than normal with hands pressed slightly forward - take a 3/4 swing and hang onto your release. DO NOT OVERSWING or you'll stick the club in the ground and chunk the daylights out of it and wonder why you took golf advice over the internet.

The knockdown shot is a great shot into the wind and in cases where you are trying to control distance. It's also a good "emergency" shot for higher handicappers to fall back on when you're not hitting it so well. You can punch it all the way around the course if you have to.

Good write up.

Or you could watch Tiger explain it on his clinic show that seems to air every night. Seriously, he does a great explanation. Part of how he describes it is keeping the logo on the back of your golf glove moving towards the target for a longer time...

Or you could watch Tiger explain it on his clinic show that seems to air every night. Seriously, he does a great explanation. Part of how he describes it is keeping the logo on the back of your golf glove moving towards the target for a longer time...

True. This basically helps you remember to keep your hands at the right angle for a longer period of time so you have a straighter swing plane. Good stuff.

Doing it... Different story.

That's nice. Do you hit them straight?

yes i do. occasionally i'll shift my legs over as if i'm wanting to pull the ball to left field, but if i maintain my balance it goes straight. I also can work a slight draw into my swing.

You definitely don't have a distance issue.

thanks for that. however, if come down through the ball, or at least my definiton of coming down through the ball, i probably pick up 5-10 yds if not more.. however, nothing sticks. I can't get a 7 iron on the front of the green to not roll off the back. with my swing, I can get just about anything to stick. (unless i'm playing back home at Pine Jokes [oaks] where the greens aren't even regulation)

yes i do. occasionally i'll shift my legs over as if i'm wanting to pull the ball to left field, but if i maintain my balance it goes straight. I also can work a slight draw into my swing.

Pretty goof stuff. Easy to say but hard to do right.

Distance is probably the most overrated and least understood facet of the game.

Pretty goof stuff. Easy to say but hard to do right.

the draw swing came very naturally for me. i'm not complaining. however, i can't hid a fade to save my life. anyways, i'm actually off to play nine and 18 more tomorrow. still haven't recovered my chipping game, hopefully i can square that away today.

Distance is probably the most overrated and least understood facet of the game.

the only problem with distance is having the bravado to not be intimidated if you are swinging a 7 iron while your buddies are only swinging a 9 from the same spot. i've seen many a bogey+ golfer struggle with that. what helped my game the most was realizing i didn't have to hit driver off every tee and realizing laying up on a par 5 so that I have a full lob or sand wedge in is usally better than blasting a 3 iron in and having a 30 yd chip shot to get close.

the only problem with distance is having the bravado to not be intimidated if you are swinging a 7 iron while your buddies are only swinging a 9 from the same spot.

I love playing with guys that get hung up on seeing how short a club they can hit into a green. It's so easy to get inside those guys' heads.

VN Store

Back