A writers thoughts on the Tennessee/Florida match up.

Typical POS Gator fan comment there

For that to be a reasonable assessment, you would have not to have read all of the silliness wiseacrevol was posting. In the context of his silly remarks, it was sensible.

For a while I wondered that you Vol fans weren't embarassed by the silly postings of an obviously underage Vol. I am beginning to think that his postings are about average for this board.

For that to be a reasonable assessment, you would have not to have read all of the silliness wiseacrevol was posting. In the context of his silly remarks, it was sensible.

For a while I wondered that you Vol fans weren't embarassed by the silly postings of an obviously underage Vol. I am beginning to think that his postings are about average for this board.
I was referring to the comment about Hunter's injury....as far as your thoughts on the postings on Volnation....FO....are you the Roger Ebert of discussion forums?

Reactions: 1 person
As if no one recruits in our back yard already....it's freaking Florida. This state produces a blue chip recruit or two. Why you continue to slurp Lane Kiffin in this thread is beyond me.

No need to defend UF's brand as a football program or athletic department...it speaks for itself, and it's taken us pretty far recently. But feel free to get all nostalgic about how UF sucked back during Jim Crow and the Carter Administration. You're pretty good at it.

Until 1990, Florida's success was not attributable to any "brand," because there was none. From 1906-1989 (84 seasons) UF had 15 8+ -win seasons and ZERO SEC Championships. Then Spurrier's Spread offense worked for 10 years. Then Spurrier left and UF was down for 4 years, then Tebow came and UF was up for 4 years. Now they're down again, and have abandoned the Spread for the (good luck!) Pro Set. Demps and Rainey are gone. Whatever "brand" UF claims to have had, it has been short-lived.

As for Kiffin, I call it straight. They guy is no less shrewd than Bear Bryant and is a brilliant HC and recruiter. SEC recruiters wish he'd never been hired by UT (and SEC HCs are glad he's gone). I don't blame him for going home to LA. I hope he gets a few shots at Ohio State and continues to mine Florida talent.

PS. I mentioned Kiffin in the context of UMeyer backing out of OSU's commitment to play UT in 2018-19 -- Lane was the 1st to call him out and certainly UF fans must now agree with Lane.

Last edited:
The Florida game probably is the biggest game that we have a good chance of winning. It would be the biggest victory for DD thus far.

Reactions: 2 people
Until 1990, Florida's success was not attributable to any "brand," because there was none. From 1906-1989 (84 seasons) UF had 15 8+ -win seasons and ZERO SEC Championships. Then Spurrier's Spread offense worked for 10 years. Then Spurrier left and UF was down for 4 years, then Tebow came and UF was up for 4 years. Now they're down again, and have abandoned the Spread for the (good luck!) Pro Set. Demps and Rainey are gone. Whatever "brand" UF claims to have had, it has been short-lived.

As for Kiffin, I call it straight. They guy is no less shrewd than Bear Bryant and is a brilliant HC and recruiter. SEC recruiters wish he'd never been hired by UT (and SEC HCs are glad he's gone). I don't blame him for going home to LA. I hope he gets a few shots at Ohio State and continues to mine Florida talent.

PS. I mentioned Kiffin in the context of UMeyer backing out of OSU's commitment to play UT in 2018-19 -- Lane was the 1st to call him out and certainly UF fans must now agree with Lane.

spurrier ran the spread?

No, he can't. If he loses to UF, which isn't as good as either UGA or USCe this year, it doesn't bode well for his employment status.

His teams also have the unique ability to give up when things get rough. A loss to UF puts them behind in the East race out of the gate.

As if that's never happened before... But I do agree that Florida is a very important game for this team.

spurrier ran the spread?

Line up 4-5 receivers, have the QB throw the ball quickly to a spot and hope the receiver gets there, and if he doesn't, neither does the DB.

This is the offense you run when you don't have the talent (and Fulmer/Saban-like patience) to line up 2 TEs and ground it out.

And if it's an offense opposing Ds see only once a year, nobody knows how to defend it. I'm not aware of another SEC team running the Spread since Spurrier installed it.

Line up 4-5 receivers, have the QB throw the ball quickly to a spot and hope the receiver gets there, and if he doesn't, neither does the DB.

This is the offense you run when you don't have the talent (and Fulmer/Saban-like patience) to line up 2 TEs and ground it out.

And if it's an offense opposing Ds see only once a year, nobody knows how to defend it. I'm not aware of another SEC team running the Spread since Spurrier installed it.

I would argue Arky ran a similar fun-n-gun type offense last year. Auburn runs the spread, and if they had the talent Miss State would be running it right now.

The spread boils down to getting fast guys in space, Spurrier did it as well as the teams above.

Calling names won't help.

I didn't call names...I said FO....you big DA....and you question the quality of VN posters....at least the majority of them have reading comprehension skills of at least a 5th grade level....unfortunately the same cannot be said for you....mullets and jorts forever eh?

Reactions: 1 person
An early version, absolutely.

florida did not run the damn spread. florida ran god knows how many formations while spurrier was the head coach.

just because florida ran 4 and 5 wr sets at times did not make florida a spread offense. this seems to be how people want to define a spread. well, sorry folks, it takes more than using a 4 wr and 5 wr set on occasion to make your offense a spread offense.

florida had a multiple pro-style offense that ran a wide varierty of formations.

florida did not run the damn spread. florida ran god knows how many formations while spurrier was the head coach.

just because florida ran 4 and 5 wr sets at times did not make florida a spread offense. this seems to be how people want to define a spread. well, sorry folks, it takes more than using a 4 wr and 5 wr set on occasion to make your offense a spread offense.

florida had a multiple pro-style offense that ran a wide varierty of formations.

Lmao.... no wonder you're a Florida fan.

He spread the field with offensive formations and designed plays to get his playmakers in space.

How is that not a spread offense? I would agree he didn't run the spread option, sure, but he absolutely ran a spread offense.

He spread the field with offensive formations and designed plays to get his playmakers in space.

How is that not a spread offense? I would agree he didn't run the spread option, sure, but he absolutely ran a spread offense.

florida ran all kinds of formations. you name it florida ran it.

again, by your definition any team that utilizes a 4 wr formation is a spread offense.

that would mean damn near everyone in college football is a spread offense. it isn't so

florida ran all kinds of formations. you name it florida ran it.

again, by your definition any team that utilizes a 4 wr formation is a spread offense.

that would mean damn near everyone in college football is a spread offense. it isn't so

What would you call it then? A pro-style offense?

VN Store

Back