A writers thoughts on the Tennessee/Florida match up.

The first game of the year is always exciting leading up to kick off. This year I will be out of my freaking mind 2 minutes before Florida/UT kick off. I absolutely cannot wait to watch every single play, with enough intensity to set off a nuclear explosion.
Go Vols! Go hard!!

Its not an upset, and no.

Agree totally!

UT fans like to talk about tradition and being a top 10 all-time program of which both are true. Since they're both true, fans can't storm the field and tear goalposts after beating a very mediocre UF team.

Tearing down goalposts are for the less tradition rich schools or upstart programs...NOT UT!

Agree totally!

UT fans like to talk about tradition and being a top 10 all-time program of which both are true. Since they're both true, fans can't storm the field and tear goalposts after beating a very mediocre UF team.

Tearing down goalposts are for the less tradition rich schools or upstart programs...NOT UT!

Really? After being in the dumpster for years, you don't think beating a legitimate contender in the SEC is reason enough to get excited on that level? Tennessee was 18-20 over the last 3 seasons, correct? Seems to me beating Florida would be a sign of life, and would be worthy of dropping the goal posts. Hopefully we will have the choice...

Florida will be the first big test for him this year. In order to keep the momentum going in the right direction (assuming we won the first games) he needs to win against Florida. If, for some reason we lose to NC St. then the Florids game becomes a must win or the season could implode right out of the gate.

NC State is the FIRST big test for DD. This will be a huge win or loss for UT.

Reactions: 1 person
Really? After being in the dumpster for years, you don't think beating a legitimate contender in the SEC is reason enough to get excited on that level? Tennessee was 18-20 over the last 3 seasons, correct? Seems to me beating Florida would be a sign of life, and would be worthy of dropping the goal posts. Hopefully we will have the choice...

Get excited, yes. Tear down the goal posts, no! Act like you've been there before, which UT has.

UF is not a contender in the SEC this year. Let me ask you this, what if aTm beats UF the week before they play UT?...and they don't storm the field. How is going to be perceived if UT storms the field after beating UF?

If that's what you and a bunch of other fans want to do, don't ***** and whine about UT not getting respect.

Agree totally!

Not so fast my friend....

win.jpg

Not so fast my friend....

win.jpg

I know...I was there, not on the field, though. I was also there in '82 when UT beat Bama. Not justifying it, but at least those were 2 top 10 teams.

This year's UF team isn't deserving of storming the field.

I know...I was there, not on the field, though. I was also there in '82 when UT beat Bama. Not justifying it, but at least those were 2 top 10 teams.

This year's UF team isn't deserving of storming the field.

Oh I agree.

UT was somewhat justified in '98, given both teams were national powers at the time, and UF had a streak going. This UF squad could be our worst since the one-dimensional Emmitt Smitth teams of the late 80s

However I do get a kick out of some folks here slamming UF for accomplishing nothing before 1990, yet beating UF is a big enough deal to have a discussion on tearing down the goalposts.

Get excited, yes. Tear down the goal posts, no! Act like you've been there before, which UT has.

UF is not a contender in the SEC this year. Let me ask you this, what if aTm beats UF the week before they play UT?...and they don't storm the field. How is going to be perceived if UT storms the field after beating UF?

If that's what you and a bunch of other fans want to do, don't ***** and whine about UT not getting respect.

You get respect by winning...not by whether or not your fans tear down goal posts. I hope they tear 'em down, I hope it's on sportscenter over and over all day, I hope it causes pride in the locker room, I hope it raises expectations among the players, I hope they break the goal posts in several pieces and they have to be totally replaced!

You get respect by winning...not by whether or not your fans tear down goal posts. I hope they tear 'em down, I hope it's on sportscenter over and over all day, I hope it causes pride in the locker room, I hope it raises expectations among the players, I hope they break the goal posts in several pieces and they have to be totally replaced!

These aren't the UT/ UF teams from the '90's. These will be 2 unranked teams playing. Yes, it means a lot to UT fans, but nationally, not so much these days.

there are no "rules" for rushing the field. people feel good and want to rush the field. have at it and don't hurt anyone

Although I am the type of fan that loves to see people rush the field and goal posts coming down, I don't think that this game warrants that reaction. Rush the field yes, tear down posts...eh not so much. I could understand it if it was a super long streak coming to an end (even though it feels like it has been), a major upset or a title/big game but not for a 7 yr streak and both teams not being top ranked.

It should be done similar to the basketball game in 06 against the gators tho. Everyone on the field tossing around those blown up gators :yes:

Although I am the type of fan that loves to see people rush the field and goal posts coming down, I don't think that this game warrants that reaction. Rush the field yes, tear down posts...eh not so much. I could understand it if it was a super long streak coming to an end (even though it feels like it has been), a major upset or a title/big game but not for a 7 yr streak and both teams not being top ranked.

It should be done similar to the basketball game in 06 against the gators tho. Everyone on the field tossing around those blown up gators :yes:

The next time UF fans rush the field after beating Tennessee in anything will be the first time.

I see you took my advice to heart. Please continue to focus on what UF failed to accomplish before 1990...I completely understand. Pay no attention to the past 20+ years....nope, nothing to see here. Since 1954, UT has only beaten UF 9 times in 31 games...after winning the first 10 in a row. Our worst team in the past 30 years beat UT in Neyland.

Do we really want to talk about the days when UT's helmets were white, and every player on the field was too? Of course you do. :eek:lol:

To suggest Urban Meyer is afraid to play Tennessee, a team he NEVER lost to, is to also suggest that history-rich and tradition-filled Tennessee is afraid to play the mighty North Carolina Tar Heels in football.

I won't drag the "spread or no spread" discussion deeper into the muck, but I get the impression from some here that any team who doesn't run from the i-formation with a FB and TE on every play is somehow running a "spread" offense, and nothing could be further from the truth.

Finally, Lane Kiffin bolted for the PAC-10 because, like Urban Meyer, he saw the sledding just a little too rough in the SEC. Period. Southern Cal has to contend with Oregon and no one else in that conference. Comparing Kiffin to Bear Bryant...well, you just lost whatever credibility you thought you had.

Well let's just agree to disagree on a lot. Re Kiffin, he's ahead of Bear Bryant when Bear was Lane's age. If UF had played UT every year frim 1916 to 1990, UT would have a 20-game lead in the series -- simple math based on the two teams' respective winning % during the period: 75% to 55%. Nobody ever ran an offense in the SEC like spurrier's from 1990 -- call it what you want, UF was running and throwing away from the D rather than over them (when spurrier won his NC in 96, weurffel had 5 wrs in the pattern and was only throwing to spots). The fired AD gave up the UNC games, which is a principal reason he's gone. Meyer beat UT 2 times w/out Tebow -- 2 games is not a significant sample. UT has never lost to Michigan, Ohio State or Wisconsin. I am not a racist, as you imply. Remember that when UT had Condredge Holloway playing QB, Doug Dickey was being roundly criticized at UF for not having enough white players. (I'll spare you by not quoting the prevailing epithet of those days.) Finally, I have never ignored UF's recent success, but I will say that I'm glad they scrapped the offense that won 200 games and 3 NCs in 20 years.

The next time UF fans rush the field after beating Tennessee in anything will be the first time.

There again, we don't give a damn what the gators do. I don't think you do either. You are A UT fan, and I think you realize that, deep down. That is why you are here. Welcome aboard. I look forward to you changing your avatar to Orange. There is nothing wrong with a fair weathered flurduh fan, but you will have to dedicate yourself when you make the switch. We are real men here.

Go Vols

:whistling:

There again, we don't give a damn what the gators do. I don't think you do either. You are A UT fan, and I think you realize that, deep down. That is why you are here. Welcome aboard. I look forward to you changing your avatar to Orange. There is nothing wrong with a fair weathered flurduh fan, but you will have to dedicate yourself when you make the switch. We are real men here.

Go Vols

:whistling:

I know I'm hitting a nerve when someone busts out the "why are you here...you must be a (insert home team) fan in denial" post. That post usually means you have no comeback whatsoever to what was posted. :eek:lol:

I must also be a Mizzou and Texas A&M fan too, because I post on their message boards too. I'm here because I enjoy listening to opposing points of view, and this is one of the best rival CFB sites out there...I've said as much several times.

I know I'm hitting a nerve when someone busts out the "why are you here...you must be a (insert home team) fan in denial" post. That post usually means you have no comeback whatsoever to what was posted. :eek:lol:

I must also be a Mizzou and Texas A&M fan too, because I post on their message boards too. I'm here because I enjoy listening to opposing points of view, and this is one of the best rival CFB sites out there...I've said as much several times.

The fact that your proud you hit a nerve puts to rest this nonsense about enjoying opposing viewpoints. But carry on troll, still no one cares.

VN Store

Back