A writers thoughts on the Tennessee/Florida match up.

question for uf fans: have florida fans ever rushed the field after a win (in recent memory)?

The last time I can remember UF fans collectively rushing the field was 1984, at the old Gator Bowl in Jacksonville after breaking our losing streak against UGA.

A handful of fans tried rushing the field following the '97 FSU game in Gainesville, but they got hogtied by security and arrested, but not after having a chunk taken out of their ass by German shepherds.

Good times.

Last edited:
All this talk of acting like you've been there before and tradition rich programs don't rush the field smells of the same foulness as those in Neyland that say "sit down"......it's typically the students that do it so who gives a damn what anyone thinks? If the moment calls for it....let it all hang out and don't be a stick up the azz elitist prick.....

All this talk of acting like you've been there before and tradition rich programs don't rush the field smells of the same foulness as those in Neyland that say "sit down"......it's typically the students that do it so who gives a damn what anyone thinks? If the moment calls for it....let it all hang out and don't be a stick up the azz elitist prick.....

And the Crowd. Goes. Crazy

:clapping:

Well let's just agree to disagree on a lot. Re Kiffin, he's ahead of Bear Bryant when Bear was Lane's age. If UF had played UT every year frim 1916 to 1990, UT would have a 20-game lead in the series -- simple math based on the two teams' respective winning % during the period: 75% to 55%. Nobody ever ran an offense in the SEC like spurrier's from 1990 -- call it what you want, UF was running and throwing away from the D rather than over them (when spurrier won his NC in 96, weurffel had 5 wrs in the pattern and was only throwing to spots). The fired AD gave up the UNC games, which is a principal reason he's gone. Meyer beat UT 2 times w/out Tebow -- 2 games is not a significant sample. UT has never lost to Michigan, Ohio State or Wisconsin. I am not a racist, as you imply. Remember that when UT had Condredge Holloway playing QB, Doug Dickey was being roundly criticized at UF for not having enough white players. (I'll spare you by not quoting the prevailing epithet of those days.) Finally, I have never ignored UF's recent success, but I will say that I'm glad they scrapped the offense that won 200 games and 3 NCs in 20 years.

I was at UF when Dickey was there and I heard him criticized for a lot of reasons, but not for racism. The funniest story about Dickey in those days may have been this:

Dickey: "Get in there and kick it, son."
Punter: "But, coach..."
Dickey: "I said get in there and punt."
Punter: "But, but..."
Dickey: "No buts, kick it!"

Punter goes in and punts. Trots off.

Dickey: "Nice kick son."
Punter: "But Coach, why did we kick on third and one from their 35?"

Oh! And eliminate Tebow's two wins and then claim that Meyer's remaining two wins is too small a sample! Wow! Like murdering your parents and asking the court for mercy because you're an orphan.

Reactions: 1 person
Oh! And eliminate Tebow's two wins and then claim that Meyer's remaining two wins is too small a sample! Wow! Like murdering your parents and asking the court for mercy because you're an orphan.

Clearly Urban Meyer had too small a body of work prior to his UF days to make a decent assessment of his coaching ability.

I know I'm hitting a nerve when someone busts out the "why are you here...you must be a (insert home team) fan in denial" post. That post usually means you have no comeback whatsoever to what was posted. :eek:lol:

I must also be a Mizzou and Texas A&M fan too, because I post on their message boards too. I'm here because I enjoy listening to opposing points of view, and this is one of the best rival CFB sites out there...I've said as much several times.

Legitimate question: why? Don't you just catch crap from the opposing fans all the time? Just curious.

Legitimate question: why? Don't you just catch crap from the opposing fans all the time? Just curious.

Not really...most of my discussions here are civil. However there's some history and emotion here that doesn't exist on the TAMU and Mizzou board.

But if you pay close attention, I'm easily one of the most objective posters in this place, especially when it comes to my team.

Last edited:
Easy to catch crap when that's what you're fishing for....

Not really...most of my discussions here are civil. However there's some history and emotion here that doesn't exist on the TAMU and Mizzou board.

And if you pay close attention, I'm easily one of the most objective posters in this place, especially when it comes to my team.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I mean if I were to post anything on a fl fan site (assumption>), I would more than likely get a negative reaction....so why do it?

I guess that I can understand that. I would think that within the "original" SEC family there would be too much emotion all around. I can see how the newbies wouldn't be so hostile. I'm not going to lie, fl for me is the most hated team/fan base. Most of the fl fans I have met are a bunch of jerks. But hey I try to give everyone a fair chance til they do something to ruin it.

But if you pay close attention, I'm easily one of the most objective posters in this place, especially when it comes to my team.

Most of the external fans seem pretty decent. I posted somewhere a few days earlier that I really thought the Tennessee/UF game would come down to how Florida's offense played (as a unit) versus how Tennessee's offensive line performed. In my mind, Florida wants this game to be as ugly as possible. The more this game is fought in the trenches and the uglier it gets, the better it will be for the Gators, in my view.

He enjoys opposing points of view, but also likes to irritate other fans in the process. It's called "innocent trolling". Him and his little gator friends on here get off on it.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I mean if I were to post anything on a fl fan site (assumption>), I would more than likely get a negative reaction....so why do it?

I guess that I can understand that. I would think that within the "original" SEC family there would be too much emotion all around. I can see how the newbies wouldn't be so hostile. I'm not going to lie, fl for me is the most hated team/fan base. Most of the fl fans I have met are a bunch of jerks. But hey I try to give everyone a fair chance til they do something to ruin it.

With Florida fans, it usually doesn't take to long. js

Oh, and hello friend!

Well, if you'll allow me to weigh in here, I really think this will be one of the most well-respected Florida teams that Tennessee has faced, in my opinion.

Even though we've had a ton of success against Tennessee since 1990, I've always gotten the impression that Vol fans have never respected our style of play. I think they feel we've been gimmicky with systems like the "Fun N Gun" and Urban's spread. Instead of lining up and running straight at you, we've been more likely to use speed and play on the edges - to run around people instead of running them over. Because of that, I've just always felt the Vols have viewed us differently than more physical teams like Alabama and LSU. I feel like we've been their buddy who beats them in golf, but does so using a ton of hybrid clubs, a belly putter, and playing from the old man tees...and I think Tennessee has been like, "Yeah, you won...but you look like a tool."

This year will be different. I think, from a Tennessee perspective, this will be one of the least tool-bag UF teams you've seen in a few decades. All of Urban's gimmick crap has been weeded out and we're going to line up and play big-boy football. The way we'll try to control the line and run the ball will remind Vols of Phil Fulmer. A lot of Vols don't know this, but even with as much success as we've had against you, there are Gators like me who have been jealous of your backs over the years and the way you can run the ball: Jay Graham, Jamal Lewis, Travis Henry, Travis Stephens, Gerald Riggs, Arian Foster, etc...we've been looking for a physical back for a long time. And now we're going to have it with Mike Gillislee, Mack Brown, Matt Jones, and next year Kelvin Taylor and Adam Lane. We're finally going to put down the purses and play a more manly, blue collar style that Tennessee fans will respect and appreciate. So, I think - win or lose - Vol fans are going to walk out of Neyland Stadium this year saying, "Damn...those Gators played like men today. I think I'm gonna pull for them against Georgia and LSU and South Carolina." Even if you guys stomp us and Bray lights us up, I still think our new level of toughness and blue collar attitude will be noticed and appreciated by the Big Orange Nation. And as result, we might see a new level of respect between our programs after this year's game.

Well, if you'll allow me to weigh in here, I really think this will be one of the most well-respected Florida teams that Tennessee has faced, in my opinion.

Even though we've had a ton of success against Tennessee since 1990, I've always gotten the impression that Vol fans have never respected our style of play. I think they feel we've been gimmicky with systems like the "Fun N Gun" and Urban's spread. Instead of lining up and running straight at you, we've been more likely to use speed and play on the edges - to run around people instead of running them over. Because of that, I've just always felt the Vols have viewed us differently than more physical teams like Alabama and LSU. I feel like we've been their buddy who beats them in golf, but does so using a ton of hybrid clubs, a belly putter, and playing from the old man tees...and I think Tennessee has been like, "Yeah, you won...but you look like a tool."

This year will be different. I think, from a Tennessee perspective, this will be one of the least tool-bag UF teams you've seen in a few decades. All of Urban's gimmick crap has been weeded out and we're going to line up and play big-boy football. The way we'll try to control the line and run the ball will remind Vols of Phil Fulmer. A lot of Vols don't know this, but even with as much success as we've had against you, there are Gators like me who have been jealous of your backs over the years and the way you can run the ball: Jay Graham, Jamal Lewis, Travis Henry, Travis Stephens, Gerald Riggs, Arian Foster, etc...we've been looking for a physical back for a long time. And now we're going to have it with Mike Gillislee, Mack Brown, Matt Jones, and next year Kelvin Taylor and Adam Lane. We're finally going to put down the purses and play a more manly, blue collar style that Tennessee fans will respect and appreciate. So, I think - win or lose - Vol fans are going to walk out of Neyland Stadium this year saying, "Damn...those Gators played like men today. I think I'm gonna pull for them against Georgia and LSU and South Carolina." Even if you guys stomp us and Bray lights us up, I still think our new level of toughness and blue collar attitude will be noticed and appreciated by the Big Orange Nation. And as result, we might see a new level of respect between our programs after this year's game.

Good post. But that part is not likely to happen.

He enjoys opposing points of view, but also likes to irritate other fans in the process. It's called "innocent trolling". Him and his little gator friends on here get off on it.

With Florida fans, it usually doesn't take to long. js

Oh, and hello friend!

That's what it looks like haha.

Very very true, Hey friend! :biggrin:

Fl fans are bad, but not as bad as Ga. fans.

wow. that is incredibly weak.

---------------------------------
That (1991) was also the last year the Gators played an OOC game outside the state of Florida (and got smoked by Syracuse in the Carrier Dome).

21 seasons and no games (road or home) vs. any teams from the Big 10, the PAC 12 or the Big 12?

And you call that a big time program?

I was at UF when Dickey was there and I heard him criticized for a lot of reasons, but not for racism. The funniest story about Dickey in those days may have been this:

Dickey: "Get in there and kick it, son."
Punter: "But, coach..."
Dickey: "I said get in there and punt."
Punter: "But, but..."
Dickey: "No buts, kick it!"

Punter goes in and punts. Trots off.

Dickey: "Nice kick son."
Punter: "But Coach, why did we kick on third and one from their 35?"

You misunderstood me. He was criticized for NOT playing white players. It was reverse racism.

On your example, none of that was happening when he was at UT. When he left after 6 seasons in 69, he had just won the SEC twice in 3 years and was 3-2-1 vs Bear Bryant. I met Coach Dickey a few times in the 80s when he attended my parents' church. We reminisced about his heydays at UT and he admitted that leaving UT was the biggest regret of his professional career. In 1970, with his players and a 30-year old HC (Battle), UT went 11-1, beat Alabama 24-0 and finished 4th. The Vols went 10-2 in 1970, losing to Alabama and then went into a slide that lasted about 10 years. Dickey's departure from UT probably cost both parties a NC or two, and in the end didn't do Florida any good.

The saddest part perhaps for UT was that Dickey's move was engineered by UF AD Ray Graves, who played for Gen. Neyland on the 1940 NC team.

Last edited:

I think many Vol fans will continue to hate UF win or lose, just because it's Florida. You could replace Florida with Alabama and the same would be true, for a variety of reasons.

Style of play has very little to do with it. UT's student section mocking the Gainesville murders in 1990, or Spurrier rubbing it in UT's face throughout the 90s had more to do with the bad blood than UF's offensive philosophy.

I think many Vol fans will continue to hate UF win or lose, just because it's Florida. You could replace Florida with Alabama and the same would be true, for a variety of reasons.

Style of play has very little to do with it. UT's student section mocking the Gainesville murders in 1990, or Spurrier rubbing it in UT's face throughout the 90s had more to do with the bad blood than UF's offensive philosophy.

Very well said.

VN Store

Back