A writers thoughts on the Tennessee/Florida match up.

Yep, it's a misnomer.

A comeback win 21 years ago against Notre Dame is proof positive that last year's UT squad could have done the same against UF.

tennessee lost to florida that year too

Well, after the previous year (1990), when the Vols administered the worst whipping the Gators ever suffered (45-3), UT wasn't expecting much of a game and understandably was flat and looking ahead to the Alabama game the next week.

Last edited:
Yep, it's a misnomer.

A comeback win 21 years ago against Notre Dame is proof positive that last year's UT squad could have done the same against UF.
----------------------------------------

I was responding to someone's comment that the game was a drilling. It was one-sided for a while, but 33-23 isn't a drilling.

The Gators didn't even pull the line, which surely cost your boys some cash. Don't tell me UF EVER took its foot off the peddle when UT is concerned.

Did you see your HC jumping up and down in Q4 when his DBs kept getting caught doing what his staff obviously instructed them to do -- PI? He sure didn't look like a man satisfied that the game was over.

tennessee lost to florida that year too
---------------------------------
That (1991) was also the last year the Gators played an OOC game outside the state of Florida (and got smoked by Syracuse in the Carrier Dome).

21 seasons and no games (road or home) vs. any teams from the Big 10, the PAC 12 or the Big 12?

And you call that a big time program?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
That (1991) was also the last year the Gators played an OOC game outside the state of Florida (and got smoked by Syracuse in the Carrier Dome).

21 seasons and no games (road or home) vs. any teams from the Big 10, the PAC 12 or the Big 12?

According the the UF Ath Dept, UF doesn't have any OOC games out of state through 2016 (5 seasons = 26 in a row), and still no one from the Power Conferences (home or road). FSU every year and Miami once.

alright, calm down. collect your thoughts. take your time and come up with something good.

i recommend using something from outside of the last 21 seasons. staying within that time frame is really a bad idea.

alright, calm down. collect your thoughts. take your time and come up with something good.

i recommend using something from outside of the last 21 seasons. staying within that time frame is really a bad idea.

Look, I know it's embarassing, but someone else brought up UF beating UT in 1991. It was a big year for the Gators, until they played an OOC game on the road (Syr) and then got smoked in the Sugar Bowl by a team (Notre Dame) UT beat on the road 8 weeks before.

According the the UF Ath Dept, UF doesn't have any OOC games out of state through 2016 (5 seasons = 26 in a row), and still no one from the Power Conferences (home or road). FSU every year and Miami once.
------------------------------------------

I'll save you the time to research this -- over the next 5 years (2013-17), UT plays at Oregon, home-home vs. Oklahoma, and home-home vs. Nebraska.

Ohio State was to be home-home after Nebraska but your (coward) boy UMeyer backed out. [Kiffin was the 1st to call him out, and 'ol Lane was right.]

And less than 5 years ago, Tennessee lost at home to Wyoming.

You call that a big time program?

Last edited:
Look, I know it's embarassing, but someone else brought up UF beating UT in 1991. It was a big year for the Gators, until they played an OOC game on the road (Syr) and then got smoked in the Sugar Bowl by a team (Notre Dame) UT beat on the road 8 weeks before.

If only we could move Florida State University 20 miles north across the state line....UF is THAT close to being a big time college football program. :eek:lol:

Last edited:

I'll save you the time to research this -- over the next 5 years (2013-17), UT plays at Oregon, home-home vs. Oklahoma, and home-home vs. Nebraska.

Ohio State was to be home-home after Nebraska but your (coward) boy UMeyer backed out. [Kiffin was the 1st to call him out, and 'ol Lane was right.]

UT has to market its program nationally, since there's not enough big time D-1 talent in Tennessee.

UF doesn't have to incur the expense of traveling across the country, or give up a home game, to build its brand and attract top notch talent.

Tennessee does.

----------------------------------------

I was responding to someone's comment that the game was a drilling. It was one-sided for a while, but 33-23 isn't a drilling.

The Gators didn't even pull the line, which surely cost your boys some cash. Don't tell me UF EVER took its foot off the peddle when UT is concerned.

Did you see your HC jumping up and down in Q4 when his DBs kept getting caught doing what his staff obviously instructed them to do -- PI? He sure didn't look like a man satisfied that the game was over.

Two straight moral victories in The Swamp...you must be so proud. :good!:

A Vols fan quoting Kiffin to mock the Gators ....

Ii2c9.gif

250_birthday-supprise.gif

wow, you boys just won't let it go. it's curious why 2 of you guys have thousands of posts here on lowly UT's blog. I guess if beating UT wasn't the last remaining pillar to (upstart) UF's claim of legitimacy, you wouldn't bother yourselves.

Wyoming? UT no doubt has lost a few stinkers in its 110 years. Who hasn't?
Moral Victory? I never said that, only that it wasn't a drilling (like, e.g., both UT's and UF's LSU and Alabama games last year).
Kiffin? USC would drill the Gators this year (and for the forseeable future). Lizards would be 2 TD dogs in the Swamp.

wow, you boys just won't let it go. it's curious why 2 of you guys have thousands of posts here on lowly UT's blog. I guess if beating UT wasn't the last remaining pillar to (upstart) UF's claim of legitimacy, you wouldn't bother yourselves.

Wyoming? UT no doubt has lost a few stinkers in its 110 years. Who hasn't?
Moral Victory? I never said that, only that it wasn't a drilling (like, e.g., both UT's and UF's LSU and Alabama games last year).
Kiffin? USC would drill the Gators this year (and for the forseeable future). Lizards would be 2 TD dogs in the Swamp.

PS. As for the 'mighty' Gators' "brand", it is a pretty shorty story and was built without much risk. Let's see how far it takes you, particularly when Lane Kiffin in LA is successfully recruiting your back yard.

You can bet UT will abandon the run even sooner this year. As I said UT does have large receivers. That does not make UF's secondary small. And what exactly did you mean by a "turkey shoot"? Were you referring to the ease with which Bray will complete passes, or the ease with which UF's physical secondary will rip your receivers apart? Last year it didn't even require a hit.

Typical POS Gator fan comment there

What i cannot get out of ny head is how horrible Florida has been the last two years and yet they dominated both games.

Including the line of scrimmage where florida has been terrible.

Yet, florida had a running game of some sort and brantley generally had a clean pocket.....which when you consider how the other games played out is a virtual miracle.

And with regard to the pi penalties, 15 yards and an automatic first down is not a good thing for a defense

This must be due to the fact that you come from the land down under....under feces and syphilis ....haven't you heard that UT has been in a major rebuilding mode?

PS. As for the 'mighty' Gators' "brand", it is a pretty shorty story and was built without much risk. Let's see how far it takes you, particularly when Lane Kiffin in LA is successfully recruiting your back yard.

As if no one recruits in our back yard already....it's freaking Florida. This state produces a blue chip recruit or two. Why you continue to slurp Lane Kiffin in this thread is beyond me.

No need to defend UF's brand as a football program or athletic department...it speaks for itself, and it's taken us pretty far recently. But feel free to get all nostalgic about how UF sucked back during Jim Crow and the Carter Administration. You're pretty good at it.

As if no one recruits in our back yard already....it's freaking Florida. This state produces a blue chip recruit or two. Why you continue to slurp Lane Kiffin in this thread is beyond me.

No need to defend UF's brand as a football program or athletic department...it speaks for itself, and it's taken us pretty far recently. But feel free to get all nostalgic about how UF sucked back during Jim Crow and the Carter Administration. You're pretty good at it.

Lawrence, we're you the guy that posted the pic of the two fat ass UT fans sitting in the stadium? The ultra redneck ones that you see everywhere.

Lawrence, we're you the guy that posted the pic of the two fat ass UT fans sitting in the stadium? The ultra redneck ones that you see everywhere.

Yep, that was me...one of our tailgate buddies spotted Lulu and Junior in The Swamp at the '03 UF-UT game.

That picture is floating around the Around the NCAA forum somewhere?

The real LuLu used to live down the street from me.....reclusive....may have had trouble getting out of the house for all I know

That's a classic and funny as hell

It was definitely a VN classic...some of my better detective work no doubt. :)

My friend who took their picture said they were nice people, very gracious. Just goes to show the power of television in a world where everyone has a DVR. Those two became instant Internet celebrities.

VN Store

Back