Recruiting Forum: Football Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Developing quality depth on the DL is critical, recruit , recruit, recruit. The offense may need to carry the defense until they gel and improve. :hi:

I think it is fairly apparent that the outcome of our season depends on our running game and the pass rush. I am really hopeful that our offensive line has taken it as a personal challenge to step up this year. I don't care how good our receivers are, we need to have some sort of rushing attack. This will also help our defense, which I expect to be much more aggressive this year. I think that Neal will be key this year. He has an amazing ability to catch balls out of the backfield, and it will always be a mismatch with him on the field with our receivers getting all the attention. He struggled between the tackles last year, so if he can just become semi-workable in that area it will help us greatly. I'm hopeful that Lane can become an every down back, I just don't think that he is there yet.

For our defense I expect much more aggressive schemes and play calling. Hopefully, Sunseri will not continue in the tradition of Third and Chavis/Wilcox. If our defensive pressure improves like I expect it to, this should help in third down situations. Also, I expect the defense to force more turnovers than in the past two years. Again part of this stems from increasing the pass rush, but barring injuries I really like Wagner as more of a roaming ball hawk corner than a shutdown corner which he is not. A lot of this depends on our new Juco players and the development of Mo Couch, who I expect will take a giant leap forward this year.

I really don’t think it has as much to do about the line taking it as a personal challenge as it does of just not being talented enough. The truth is, this program has been in a rebuilding mode for the last 3-5 years and schools like Florida, Bama, LSU,Georgia, USCe etc have been continuing to stockpile talent. Until we get about 3-4 really good recruiting classes in a row then we’re going to have to play each game like it’s the NC to win. Next year if we lose Bray, Hunter and Rogers it may be a very long year.

I think the lack of speed and depth on defense has been a killer for the past few years. It’s getting better but it’s still not great. It shows in so many phases, lack of QB pressure, inability for LB’s to get to the right spot and DB’s getting beat.

I love the University of Tennessee but the bottom line, with the lack of talent in state and other states (outside of Mississippi) having really good programs, it’s just going to get harder and harder for Tennessee to compete with the big boys.

Yes he tore it. I believe surgery is planned for this week. Friday I think

Thanks for the update. I hadn't heard that, but it sure doesn't surprise me. Thoughts and prayers for his surgery and a speedy recovery. Mac will definitely get him rehabbed on time and tough as nails. Still will miss him.

I really don’t think it has as much to do about the line taking it as a personal challenge as it does of just not being talented enough. The truth is, this program has been in a rebuilding mode for the last 3-5 years and schools like Florida, Bama, LSU,Georgia, USCe etc have been continuing to stockpile talent. Until we get about 3-4 really good recruiting classes in a row then we’re going to have to play each game like it’s the NC to win. Next year if we lose Bray, Hunter and Rogers it may be a very long year.

I think the lack of speed and depth on defense has been a killer for the past few years. It’s getting better but it’s still not great. It shows in so many phases, lack of QB pressure, inability for LB’s to get to the right spot and DB’s getting beat.

I love the University of Tennessee but the bottom line, with the lack of talent in state and other states (outside of Mississippi) having really good programs, it’s just going to get harder and harder for Tennessee to compete with the big boys.

Rebuilding in the SEC is tougher than any conference in the country. So far Dooley and staff have done really well. The recruiting momentum is really beginning to take effect. There are more 2013 and 2014 players on campus this year than in prior recruiting years. The signs are very encouraging. The 2012 team will have an improved record which will further sustain the momentum.

Reactions: 1 person
Rebuilding in the SEC is tougher than any conference in the country. So far Dooley and staff have done really well. The recruiting momentum is really beginning to take effect. There are more 2013 and 2014 players on campus this year than in prior recruiting years. The signs are very encouraging. The 2012 team will have an improved record which will further sustain the momentum.

I agree but fans can't expect Dooley and Co. to walk out and just pull 4-5 5 Stars every year when you have kids saying how honored they are to have received an offer from Bama or LSU. This program needs stability and some signature wins. I do think now is the time to jump all over Florida. If we can establish that we are at their level or better more and more kids from that state will come here. It just takes time and patience.

Thanks for the update. I hadn't heard that, but it sure doesn't surprise me. Thoughts and prayers for his surgery and a speedy recovery. Mac will definitely get him rehabbed on time and tough as nails. Still will miss him.

Yeah. Here's the tweet. Surgery Friday

@patrickbrownTFP: also: Alden Hill was out, and Christian Harris likely will have surgery on his torn ACL on Friday.

Man, I hope McCullers produces like everyone thinks. It's rare that a man that big comes into camp in shape. My guess is that he will need some serious work and might make an impact later in the season, kind of like Mo Couch did. Hope I'm wrong and he dominates right away.

I am the same..I like how he plays with his weight...uses it to pancake players...he can dominate on plays...its going to be interesting...his numbers are mostly from the opponents not running thru the middle...which tells all..and thats what we need is a NT that requires a double team..

How about this quote from Izaeua Lanier....

"I think it'll help because last year we [were] just out there playing the man without the technique. But Coach Ansley came in and started teaching us the technique, so I think that'll help us a lot."

Reactions: 6 people

"I think it'll help because last year we [were] just out there playing the man without the technique. But Coach Ansley came in and started teaching us the technique, so I think that'll help us a lot."

This is true, the CBs couldn't play man to save their lives. I was trying to give CTJ a pass because there were many 1st year guys. But I can see exactly what he's talking about whenever I watch a game.

That's not good publicity for CTJ. Pays to have a coach that has played the game his entire life coach you.

It would be a great change to see our DB's play up on the line. I'm use to seeing us play off of the WR's about 10 yards. I thought Lanier would have had more impact than he has so far but I know that all that could change this year. I'm really hoping Coleman develops into a solid starter. He seems to have the tools.

We know the potential of D. Rogers, Hunter, and Patterson when he gets here (I pray). Is anyone else stepping up this spring? Can we find a slot guy or will those catches end up going to TEs and RBs?

I think it is fairly apparent that the outcome of our season depends on our running game and the pass rush. I am really hopeful that our offensive line has taken it as a personal challenge to step up this year. I don't care how good our receivers are, we need to have some sort of rushing attack. This will also help our defense, which I expect to be much more aggressive this year. I think that Neal will be key this year. He has an amazing ability to catch balls out of the backfield, and it will always be a mismatch with him on the field with our receivers getting all the attention. He struggled between the tackles last year, so if he can just become semi-workable in that area it will help us greatly. I'm hopeful that Lane can become an every down back, I just don't think that he is there yet.

For our defense I expect much more aggressive schemes and play calling. Hopefully, Sunseri will not continue in the tradition of Third and Chavis/Wilcox. If our defensive pressure improves like I expect it to, this should help in third down situations. Also, I expect the defense to force more turnovers than in the past two years. Again part of this stems from increasing the pass rush, but barring injuries I really like Wagner as more of a roaming ball hawk corner than a shutdown corner which he is not. A lot of this depends on our new Juco players and the development of Mo Couch, who I expect will take a giant leap forward this year.

Lets not put Chavis and Wilcox on the same level. Chief was a helluva DC, many ppl didn't want him 2leave, a lot of ppl wanted him 2take the job when Wilcox left!!! Wilcox on the other hand.....smh!!

Rogers will be the slot in 3 wr sets

Go search lsu vs ut 2011 at YouTube and recap what rogers does to the honey badger while in the slot...

I agree if Patterson makes it. I'm really wondering who the next receiver would be.

Croom/Howard/Bowles. Out of those, I think Croom. They could all take over, though.

V.Dallas would be the next guy. Hinshaw said last week that he was really coming along. Plus he already knows the offense. Dallas is also a pretty good athlete. I think after that they'll all be played in roles where they can excel.

@patrickbrownTFP: Dooley also mentioned Curt Maggitt as a SAM possibility 'depending on where Herman [Lathers] plays.'

If Lathere can get to 90-95% & stay healthy then I really like the idea of him & AJ at ILB & Curt at SAM.

Also, Fulton said he weighs 317lbs right now, he started last season at 330lbs.

I like this a lot. Fulton needed to get quicker especially with the new zone blocking scheme. Maggitt needs to be able to create - to be lined up all over the field. He is a game changer. Before the injuries Lathers was excellent at stopping the cut back runs inside. One of the best I have seen in recent years. So it makes more sense for him to be an ILB to me if he is reasonably healthy.

Hubbs was on the radio this morning talking about Spring Practice, here are some of the bright spots:

Neal is impressive, he is holding onto the ball better & is running more physical.

Young has been very impressive, speed speed speed. He looks to continue being the PR.

Darr is punting better, he has shortened up his steps & is getting the ball off his foot quicker.

FG's have no consistency. (don't forget that our long snapper is hurt & we have a new holder, that might have something to do w/ it)

The OL is blocking better & they are using a new scheme BUT they continue to struggle inside the red zone.

I hate to hear that about the red zone line blocking. Last year I was hoping every long play would break for a TD. We made a mess of things inside the 20.

I know we had this problem last years also, but just wondering if you guys think some of it could be the new blocking scheme, or new coach's way of doing things?

Fortenberry said that Saulsberry is weighing around 280lbs now, he is working w/ the 3rd team DL & he needs to get stronger.

He said that Jordan Williams is weighing around 260lbs & that he has been getting looks at LB lately & that on Nickel situations you could see him on the DL. He said Williams strength is his quickness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back