Recruiting Forum: Football Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
i disagree with you.if one of them can seperate their self from the rest,he would get most of the touches.:salute:

We shall see. At this point, Dooley himself sees it as "runningback by committee." I see the starter with 1/2 - 2/3 of the carries.

I don't think the people in the RF have a sense that we are smarter or anything, I just think a lot of us have a more understanding of what the roster & talent level was 4 years ago compared to today. We see & read about all the guys coming in, most of the people in the FF just watch games on Saturdays & don't understand the talent gap we have had the past few seasons.

JMO.

Reactions: 11 people
I don't think the people in the RF have a sense that we are smarter or anything, I just think a lot of us have a more understanding of what the roster & talent level was 4 years ago compared to today. We see & read about all the guys coming in, most of the people in the FF just watch games on Saturdays & don't understand the talent gap we have had the past few seasons.

JMO.

This and a lot of UT fans are just impatient and are expecting big success when we have a couple of nice recruiting classes. The RF peeps know it will take time to get all the players in place and the experience they will need to be back to competing with the big boys again.

Reactions: 3 people
This is easily the best thread I have read on here in some time. Aside from one or two people who wanted to make it about themselves, all good info.

I am cautiously optimistic about this season. I see the chance to take a big step back to where we should be. I just am trying really hard to not have my heart broken again. Growing pains with the new d,the running game and the kicking game(my God,the kicking game) have a lot to prove. I still can't wait for fall! Go Big Orange!!

And thanks for the Thread J.

I was so sad to hear about Christian Harris' injury. We had all heard about how much he had grown and was getting favorable comments from the coaching staff. We will miss his size at MLB as a backup. 6'2" 238lbs He really did bulk up. I haven't heard whether he will need surgury or not. I assume yes. Wishing him a speedy and full recovery.

Looks like Harris has the same injury as UF's Ronald Powell. The majority of the Gator fan base thinks Powell will be back for their season opener. I'm guessing Harris can be as well?

JMO.

100% disagree, you have just as many idiots and sidewalk alum in the RF than you do in the FF. JMO

Reactions: 2 people
I've heard some in the local media grumbling about Maggit working at ILB. While I agree he should be outside, moving some guys around this time of year means squat.

It just helps our depth.

Agree with this. Especially at linebacker. Can't be a negative for him to learn multiple positions and have the ability to play both. Position flexibility IMO is much more important in the NFL because of roster size, but to have a kid like Maggit who is one of your better players be able to slide over to the ILB spot could be extremely useful to say the least.

Good thread idea Jmoore.

In my opinion, the key to this season on the field will be the performance of the front 7 on defense and the offensive line play.

Assuming our offensive line is better (they certainly can't be worse), the big question mark is the defensive front 7.

The results of our season hinge on a few important players:

1. Can McCullers come in and be ready and in shape to play from Day 1. If he can be the plug that many of us hope he will be at NT, then our front 7 will have its anchor on first and second down.

2. Will J. Smith live up to his potential and flourish at the Jack position. He has the skill set and talent. He needs to produce for us this season.

3. Will one of Lathers/Brewer/Crump be able to provide a viable 4th option at LB. We know that Maggitt and AJ will get the job done if healthy, but as of right now we still have a big question mark for the 4th linebacker position. Hopefully Lathers is healthy and confident enough to be the guy, or Brewer can develop into a linebacker over the summer. Crump is a good guy for depth, but I hope we aren't forced to rely on him as a starter.

Fulton returned to practice today, Dooley said he is battling Stone for the RG spot. IMO this will be our OL to start the season:

LT-Richardson
LG-Thomas
C-Bullard
RG-Fulton
RT-James

Marcus Jackson & Stone will be the back up guards. If one of our tackles goes down I see them sliding Thomas back out & allowing Stone or Jackson to get on the field.

Also, Walk-On RB Jaron Toney has moved to the nickle

Fulton returned to practice today, Dooley said he is battling Stone for the RG spot. IMO this will be our OL to start the season:

LT-Richardson
LG-Thomas
C-Bullard
RG-Fulton
RT-James

Marcus Jackson & Stone will be the back up guards. If one of our tackles goes down I see them sliding Thomas back out & allowing Stone or Jackson to get on the field.

Interesting. I think Dooley really likes Toney and wants to try and get him on the field any way he can.

Dooley said that he likes what LB Greg King has been doing this Spring, he just needs to stay healthy.

He also said that right now Neal is the #1 RB w/ Lane as the backup.

Reactions: 1 person
Dooley said that he likes what LB Greg King has been doing this Spring, he just needs to stay healthy.

He also said that right now Neal is the #1 RB w/ Lane as the backup.

Wow that sounds promising. You get the feeling that if Neal is motivated he could be very effective this year.

@patrickbrownTFP: Dooley mentioned the following as SAM LB possibilities: Raiques Crump, Dontavis Sapp, Willie Bohannon and Jordan Williams.

Dooley said Crump is having a really good Spring.

This is easily the best thread I have read on here in some time. Aside from one or two people who wanted to make it about themselves, all good info.

I am cautiously optimistic about this season. I see the chance to take a big step back to where we should be. I just am trying really hard to not have my heart broken again. Growing pains with the new d,the running game and the kicking game(my God,the kicking game) have a lot to prove. I still can't wait for fall! Go Big Orange!!

And thanks for the Thread J.

I concur.... :hi:

I think it is fairly apparent that the outcome of our season depends on our running game and the pass rush. I am really hopeful that our offensive line has taken it as a personal challenge to step up this year. I don't care how good our receivers are, we need to have some sort of rushing attack. This will also help our defense, which I expect to be much more aggressive this year. I think that Neal will be key this year. He has an amazing ability to catch balls out of the backfield, and it will always be a mismatch with him on the field with our receivers getting all the attention. He struggled between the tackles last year, so if he can just become semi-workable in that area it will help us greatly. I'm hopeful that Lane can become an every down back, I just don't think that he is there yet.

For our defense I expect much more aggressive schemes and play calling. Hopefully, Sunseri will not continue in the tradition of Third and Chavis/Wilcox. If our defensive pressure improves like I expect it to, this should help in third down situations. Also, I expect the defense to force more turnovers than in the past two years. Again part of this stems from increasing the pass rush, but barring injuries I really like Wagner as more of a roaming ball hawk corner than a shutdown corner which he is not. A lot of this depends on our new Juco players and the development of Mo Couch, who I expect will take a giant leap forward this year.

One of the most encouraging things I have heard this spring is that the corners are practicing playing up at the line of scrimmage rather than 9 yards off the line.

Reactions: 4 people

LT-Richardson
LG-Thomas
C-Bullard
RG-Fulton
RT-James

Interesting on Toney. I don't know if this make me feel better about our runningbacks or worse about our defensive backs, lol!

@patrickbrownTFP: Dooley also mentioned Curt Maggitt as a SAM possibility 'depending on where Herman [Lathers] plays.'

If Lathere can get to 90-95% & stay healthy then I really like the idea of him & AJ at ILB & Curt at SAM.

Also, Fulton said he weighs 317lbs right now, he started last season at 330lbs.

Looks like Harris has the same injury as UF's Ronald Powell. The majority of the Gator fan base thinks Powell will be back for their season opener. I'm guessing Harris can be as well?

He has a ACL tear like Hunter did. I do not see him back this year but you never know.

He has a ACL tear like Hunter did. I do not see him back this year but you never know.

Did we ever actually get official word on that? All I saw was a thread based on a tweet on april fool's day that later got taken down.

I'm assuming something more official has been released since then?

Did we ever actually get official word on that? All I saw was a thread based on a tweet on april fool's day that later got taken down.

I'm assuming something more official has been released since then?

Yes he tore it. I believe surgery is planned for this week. Friday I think

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back