Game Thread: Tennessee (16-10, 9-5 SEC) vs Texas A&M (18-9, 6-8 SEC) 2/29/24 7:00 pm EST SEC Network

It's really not impossible for us to get that high. Last night's win moved us up a couple spots to #36 in the NET, and Oklahoma is now #25, so we have ourselves a top 25 NET win! And with Texas A&M now at #42 they're simulanteously our 2nd best win and our worst loss (it had been Ole Miss as our worst loss for a while, but they've climbed up to #39).

Looking again at Charlie's other 7 seeds, I still think our resume is slightly better than Michigan State's. Florida State might still be slightly ahead of us since they beat us in the H2H and they have a better win (#14 Virginia Tech) but two losses outside the top 50, including one at home. I'd put us ahead of Ole Miss, whose resume is actually very similar to ours. They beat us in the H2H but our SOS is so much better and they lost to a team outside the top 100. Duke has the puzzling losses to Davidson and Clemson but they're playing well at the right time. We could certainly pass them, though, depending on how conference tournaments go down.
Well they are looking very highly of OU who granted does have some great wins. I think they will look favorably to us. 7 at least if we make it to the SEC semis possibly higher depending on how other teams perform

They don't. Alabama has the tiebreaker. If things go according to expected with Alabama winning their final game and SC beating Tennessee, then Alabama has the tiebreaker.
Some are premature on that 4th place overachieved slot. 5th and no bye brings in a new batch of spin.

TN up to an 8 seed per Charlie Creme. Not ideal, but given where we have been, much better to be in than out. We need to give SC a competitive game and keep margin of victory within 15, and if we win, huge, but highly unlikely on their turf. We need to at least make semifinals of SEC tourney to make a good push to also improve our seeding. That would leave us with at least 12 losses going in, that’s a lot for anything better than an 8 seed, but nothing is impossible.

Go Lady Vols!

You can’t change what has already happened, but you can help navigate what happens next!

One thing I also thought was strange, TN seems to have played less games during regular season as compared to many other teams. Wonder why that is.

Why not replace with cupcakes, 2 more wins would look better than higher sos.
In the old world it wouldn’t. Maybe it was too late.. idk but 19-10 just sounds better I don’t disagree. Heck we should’ve drove to Tech ETSU and Chatt Lipscomb Austin Peay Belmont Matin homecoming game for the Darbys

Plenty of Big South ConUSA SoCon teams we should have

I would’ve found any team with a player from east Tn and invited them to play us at TBA/FCC

TN up to an 8 seed per Charlie Creme. Not ideal, but given where we have been, much better to be in than out. We need to give SC a competitive game and keep margin of victory within 15, and if we win, huge, but highly unlikely on their turf. We need to at least make semifinals of SEC tourney to make a good push to also improve our seeding. That would leave us with at least 12 losses going in, that’s a lot for anything better than an 8 seed, but nothing is impossible.

Go Lady Vols!

You can’t change what has already happened, but you can help navigate what happens next!

Last year we were a 4 seed with 11 losses, though our NET was much higher and we finished strong with the LSU win and making the conference tourney final.

Not gonna over step or try to jinx but we do be kinda looking like last years Louisville team just finishing higher in our conference standings…
This year's Tennessee team has beaten no one of significance. Early win over OU (who already lost by double digits to Princeton, then went on to lose to UNLV and Southern), win over MSST diluted by the fact that they are losing to everyone now...even UK at home, and win over TAMU without their leading scorer (after getting blown out in an earlier game). Louisville last year at least had some good conference wins over ranked teams.

Maybe if Tennessee was at full strength and could have stolen a win over Indiana (not guaranteed) or ND (likely since Citron was out), maybe there would be more basis to think that they could make some noise. But that would mean doing something they haven't done all season...which is beating at team that they were expected to lose to.

Could still happen is what u are saying 😎
Lol I wish, no way we’re hosting unless we win out, beating South Carolina twice, Alabama, and LSU.

Just saying I think we have a good shot at being at least a 7 seed, when others here are saying we’re locked into being an 8/9 or even a 10 seed. The other teams seeded around or ahead of us in Charlie’s Bracketology have similar resumes (or slightly worse IMO), like West Virginia has the same best win as us (Oklahoma), a worse loss outside the top 50 (#57), and a weaker SOS. Or Ole Miss has a weaker best win (#28), a truly terrible loss outside the top 100 (#133), and a weaker SOS. Or Michigan St., who again has a weaker best win (#30), a worse loss outside the top 50 (#61), and a weaker SOS.

Last edited:
This year's Tennessee team has beaten no one of significance. Early win over OU (who already lost by double digits to Princeton, then went on to lose to UNLV and Southern), win over MSST diluted by the fact that they are losing to everyone now...even UK at home, and win over TAMU without their leading scorer (after getting blown out in an earlier game). Louisville last year at least had some good conference wins over ranked teams.

Maybe if Tennessee was at full strength and could have stolen a win over Indiana (not guaranteed) or ND (likely since Citron was out), maybe there would be more basis to think that they could make some noise. But that would mean doing something they haven't done all season...which is beating at team that they were expected to lose to.
They also almost lost to Pitt at Home when they were celebrating their final four team. And ofc as mentioned the 20 point MTSU loss. What was their record 26-12?

Go Lady Vols!

That seems spot on. They need a decent showing in the SEC tournament to mitigate doubts and make it seem like they are a team on the rise (to the seeding committee).

Unusual game, but fun. Nice win, very nice Sr night. Really relieved no one got hurt.

Joni Taylor has made a pure mess. I know they're missing Rogers, but that is a team completely without discipline and as crazily and intentionally rough as I've ever seen. They held, hooked, elbowed, chopped, pushed and then cried about it. I'm glad that bunch is in the rear view mirror. They could still do us a solid and beat Bama Sunday but I doubt it.

I'm worried about JP continuing to be in a bit of a funk. Needs to snap out of it quickly. Good to have Jewel back in the land of the living, also good to see her handling the ball more in light of JP's struggles. Now let's see Jewel step up against elite competition. TK had some really nice moves tonight, she's still getting better.

So glad to see Rickea go out on a classic Rickea performance. Love to see a player like that just take things over and pretty much end them. Such smooth moves! There are still way too many long stretches where we can't or don't get her the ball. I agree with Dark Phoenix who always says RJ is too unselfish. OTOH, it's been nice to see her all round game develop. She's become an excellent passer and that will help her alot in the W.

Rickea has usually played very well in the SEC tourney. Hopefully she can stay on a roll. I don't hate the extra game we'll get with the 5th seed. Keep it respectable Sunday then win 2 at the SEC. A rematch w Bama next Friday should be a really good game, another chance to get our lick back.

Yeah, JP is just forcing it. She needs to embrace that she is a facilitator. I hope she is watching Ziegler's tapes because they are similar kind of players.

But, I can see Jewell playing PG for longer stretches and letting another shooter on the floor, a line-up like Spear, Jackson, Puckett, Key, and Darby (or Hollingshead if we need more defensive presence)

I thought Jill was a better shooter than what she has shown. She gets on the boards and defends players her size fairly well. She can't shoot the ball as well as I thought she would.
Her stroke is really nice. With Jill, it's the hesitency about everything. She so overthinks. Thursday night she hit a really nice turnaround shot but you could see she went thru about 3 other options before she took the shot. Jill needs help getting out of her own head in the offseason.

I thought Jill was a better shooter than what she has shown. She gets on the boards and defends players her size fairly well. She can't shoot the ball as well as I thought she would.

With all the gear holding her arm together, I don't think we are seeing the best version of Jill. Hopefully, there are some offseason treatments that can get her back to 100%.

That is the growing complaint against NET. It overvalues blow-out wins against western north dakota state type teams.
If Tennessee played LSU tigers non conference schedule Tennessee would be a six seed NCAA or better.
It's like the old figure skating scoring .
One Skating does a hard routine and falls one time.
The. One who gets the gold metal wasn't as good on difficulty level but doesn't fall gets Gold Medals
But the figure skating who fell done a better program and skated better

Reactions: madtownvol
How do think Jillian knee is now?

Not sure mc. She was running really well vs TAMU, no braces on the legs, just that stretchy sleeve that a lot of them wear. She looked 100% lower body-wise.

That's a pretty bulky brace on her non-shooting arm. She doesn't raise the arm very well, even has an uncomfortable swing to it when she runs. I think it's a shoulder, and I think it significantly affects her shooting touch and ability to rebound aggressively.

VN Store

Back