2023 Transfer Portal - General NCAA Thread

Dillione and Edwards are on the court together often in practice with Edwards at the 2.
That's about what I figured. Dilione is special with the ball. Probably more of a scoring PG than an assist machine. But he has the goods to play that spot, if not full-time, then certainly as the secondary option. BJE just doesn't have the footspeed and ball-handling to be extraordinary at that spot. But he does have other qualities that could make him a reliable SG.

If Dilione is what he’s expected to be and they add Williams, next years team should not be challenged to score the ball, get to the rim, or get to the free throw line.

I have high hopes if Phillips returns. Preseason and earlier in the year, he had very high confidence to be aggressive and score. Between him getting a lot of little injuries and JJJ being out, he never found space to work, or regained that aggression. He’s a much better player than what we’ve seen. Next year could be tough early, but I really like the combos. Dillione is as slippery as ZZ, but with length to score. Cobe isn’t a done deal, but would be a huge addition. We need experience at that spot.

I have high hopes if Phillips returns. Preseason and earlier in the year, he had very high confidence to be aggressive and score. Between him getting a lot of little injuries and JJJ being out, he never found space to work, or regained that aggression. He’s a much better player than what we’ve seen. Next year could be tough early, but I really like the combos. Dillione is as slippery as ZZ, but with length to score. Cobe isn’t a done deal, but would be a huge addition. We need experience at that spot.
I agree completely, the makeup on paper is much more athletic and scorer driven…will miss the knock down shooter that Vescovi is, but outside of that overall should be an adequate shooting team that can create their own shot and get into the lane much better than this one.

How has D.J. Jefferson looked in practice? Will he be a factor next year?

Reactions: Orange.
How has D.J. Jefferson looked in practice? Will he be a factor next year?
Been wondering the same. He certainly looks the part in warm ups and has seemed to really fit in well with the personality of the team from the bench. Really hope he pans out here, his ceiling is high just off his athleticism alone.

Reactions: Orange.
I agree completely, the makeup on paper is much more athletic and scorer driven…will miss the knock down shooter that Vescovi is, but outside of that overall should be an adequate shooting team that can create their own shot and get into the lane much better than this one.
Flipside to having to replace Vescovi is that his replacement will be more athletic and capable getting his own shot.

I have a friend who swears that Jakobi Gillespie, freshman PG at Belmont from the Knoxville area, was a miss by Tennessee. Anyone have thoughts on him? I haven’t seen him play. Usually I make it to a Belmont game or 2, but it wasn’t in the cards this year.
Hes good, but he's not at the level of TN.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Been wondering the same. He certainly looks the part in warm ups and has seemed to really fit in well with the personality of the team from the bench. Really hope he pans out here, his ceiling is high just off his athleticism alone.
He’s been going more post work than I would’ve thought when we first landed him, think kind of that Pons 3/4 role that he played a lot. Given his athletic ability it makes sense, quickest way to make an impact most likely.

Reactions: berryvol
I can see that, but didn't realize Dillione was a candidate at PG. Edwards leaving wouldn't surprise me. I'm also thinking that Phillips might also jump to the NBA. That would free up a couple of ships to work with or is my math off?
I wouldnt be shocked at all to see BJE leave. Espically with the mind games the coaches have played with him this year. In and out 2 minutes a game then don't play for weeks then get thrown in the SEC tournament. The kid has to be frustrated.

I wouldnt be shocked at all to see BJE leave. Espically with the mind games the coaches have played with him this year. In and out 2 minutes a game then don't play for weeks then get thrown in the SEC tournament. The kid has to be frustrated.
Complete mishandling of the kid. I know first hand it’s agitated those around him, and likely impacted connections to other players UT might recruit.

Reactions: mr.checkerboards
Yes, Dilione has been getting a lot of PG work and they see him as being ahead of Edwards at PG, I don’t think Edwards is going anywhere, he knew he would need to develop and isn’t upset here. With Phillips returning that’s 2 open spots, Phillips leaving would give 3, but I don’t see him leaving as a mid-late 2nd round pick.
Agree on Phillips this year draft is strong especially with overseas players. Next year however is viewed as average at best it would benefit him well to grow and be a lottery pick next year. In CHRIST Alone

He’s been going more post work than I would’ve thought when we first landed him, think kind of that Pons 3/4 role that he played a lot. Given his athletic ability it makes sense, quickest way to make an impact most likely.
Yeah he could be a defensive nightmare for our opponents if he can channel his athleticism on that end. He can look at Mashack - defense got him on the court and now his offensive game is coming along.

Reactions: walkenvol

VN Store

Back