2023 Transfer Portal - General NCAA Thread

I have a friend who swears that Jakobi Gillespie, freshman PG at Belmont from the Knoxville area, was a miss by Tennessee. Anyone have thoughts on him? I haven’t seen him play. Usually I make it to a Belmont game or 2, but it wasn’t in the cards this year.
I would say fast forward a year or two and let’s see, he was decent as a freshman but not as if he lit it up and a much lower level of play.

Dunn is an off ball, 2/3 type…the guard I was referring to is Cobe Williams who is a PG that entered the portal yesterday.
Would we sell Cobe as a 2 and bring in another PG from the portal or are we going to rely on ZZ getting back by conference play next season? Will he be a senior...i.e....a one year rental?

Would we sell Cobe as a 2 and bring in another PG from the portal or are we going to rely on ZZ getting back by conference play next season? Will he be a senior...i.e....a one year rental?
My guess is we bring Williams in as a PG and sell him on immediate, big minutes while ZZ recovers, and play Dilione and possibly Edwards there as the backup. Both guys will have a good deal of time within the program to have developed at that spot to contribute. Then if ZZ returns by mid-season, you can ease him in. I wouldn't hate the idea of him just taking a redshirt based on how he recovers.

I noticed he missed 10 of their 33 games, this year. Any idea if that was injury-related, discipline, etc?
He left the team in either January or February for “personal reasons”, I’m not sure what those reasons are but guessing Tennessee will do their homework on it. I know Tech has a new coach and they had a rough year, they’ve had a few portal entries so not sure what was going on there. Haven’t seen any sort of legal issues surface so would assume it’s nothing major.

I noticed he missed 10 of their 33 games, this year. Any idea if that was injury-related, discipline, etc?
In some of the highlight clips, I did see his non shooting hand wrapped up. Maybe a broken finger? I'd also read somewhere that he was no longer on the LaTech team due to "personal reasons" which are likely that he wants to transfer. Injuries are just a part of the game and that's why I really have to wonder if we're done at PG for next season. Really hope ZZ has a speedy and 100% recovery, but if he's not back until mid season, what happens if Cobe goes down? Are we sure that Edwards is gonna stick? Maybe he gets cold feet if Cobe does, indeed, transfer to UT?

In some of the highlight clips, I did see his non shooting hand wrapped up. Maybe a broken finger? I'd also read somewhere that he was no longer on the LaTech team due to "personal reasons" which are likely that he wants to transfer. Injuries are just a part of the game and that's why I really have to wonder if we're done at PG for next season. Really hope ZZ has a speedy and 100% recovery, but if he's not back until mid season, what happens if Cobe goes down? Are we sure that Edwards is gonna stick? Maybe he gets cold feet if Cobe does, indeed, transfer to UT?
Based on mashacks improvement this year, I’d think he could be backup point guard next year.

Huh? Not understanding your post, Cobe is a PG.
Guess my concern is a repeat of this season where we had no answer when ZZ went down. Wondering what we'd do if ZZ is slow to return and Cobe(if he is the guy we get) has some sort of injury and is unavailable? Greedy to think we could get 2 PG candidates from the portal I suppose.

We can’t use our only 2 spots on 2 PG’s, we have other needs…and how do you think Cobe or ZZ feel about a 3rd PG, or Edwards or Dilione for that matter? And what transfer PG would be interested in joining that room, that’s like the folks in football wanting to add 2 transfer QB’s.

I have a friend who swears that Jakobi Gillespie, freshman PG at Belmont from the Knoxville area, was a miss by Tennessee. Anyone have thoughts on him? I haven’t seen him play. Usually I make it to a Belmont game or 2, but it wasn’t in the cards this year.
Ja’Kobi can play. But undersized, listed at 6 foot and I would say that’s pretty generous. Really athletic which helps negate it some. Watched him lead Greeneville to a win over nationally ranked Dr. Phillips that had 3 guys who are playing SEC ball this year and he looked like the best player on the floor. Not sure if he could do defensively what Barnes would want or not. I wouldn’t say he was a miss, but lots of respect for him.

Guess my concern is a repeat of this season where we had no answer when ZZ went down. Wondering what we'd do if ZZ is slow to return and Cobe(if he is the guy we get) has some sort of injury and is unavailable? Greedy to think we could get 2 PG candidates from the portal I suppose.
Well you’re going to have a whole offseason to figure that out, you’ve had Dilione here and practicing, Mashack getting PG time in practice and games, and Edwards as well. I just don’t see how it would even be a good idea if we could do it to fill our 2 spots with PG’s.

Last edited:
Reactions: aWhiteLoftonChism
We can’t use our only 2 spots on 2 PG’s, we have other needs…and how do you think Cobe or ZZ feel about a 3rd PG, or Edwards or Dilione for that matter? And what transfer PG would be interested in joining that room, that’s like the folks in football wanting to add 2 transfer QB’s.
I can see that, but didn't realize Dillione was a candidate at PG. Edwards leaving wouldn't surprise me. I'm also thinking that Phillips might also jump to the NBA. That would free up a couple of ships to work with or is my math off?

I can see that, but didn't realize Dillione was a candidate at PG. Edwards leaving wouldn't surprise me. I'm also thinking that Phillips might also jump to the NBA. That would free up a couple of ships to work with or is my math off?
Yes, Dilione has been getting a lot of PG work and they see him as being ahead of Edwards at PG, I don’t think Edwards is going anywhere, he knew he would need to develop and isn’t upset here. With Phillips returning that’s 2 open spots, Phillips leaving would give 3, but I don’t see him leaving as a mid-late 2nd round pick.

Coaches spent a decent amount of time watching him in Greenville. Schwartz liked him a lot. He’s a very solid shooter. At 6 feet, he doesn’t have elite foot speed. He’ll do well. He may grow into someone who can play in the SEC. If he does, the door isn’t shut. I just don’t think he’s physically elite. Otherwise smart kid with a great shot.

Well, I've long been of the belief that Edwards was more 2G than PG, so I'm not sure Williams coming in affects him. I also believe that Dilione is more equipped to play the backup minutes at PG than BJE, so Edwards future at PG is already murky. He needs to work on becoming a reliable outside shooter and driving to the paint where he can use his size and strength to get to the rim.

Cobe Williams would be a huge pickup. Think he would be the starting PG to start the year while ZZ recovers. Also, I do think there’s a possibility that JJJ returns. He probably isn’t happy with the way his senior season has went, and if he is wanted back he will be back IMO.

Actually the main point is the staff HAS done a poor job of evaluations overall and a HORRIBLE job of building a roster with players that skill sets compliment each other AND/OR can do what Warlick-Barnes desires for them to do, how to play.

How the hell do you only have one PG?

"Horrible," is you being overdramatic. College basketball is incredibly competitive. A coach who is horrible at building a roster doesn't produce teams that win the SEC and regularly beat top 10 teams. Barnes and staff aren't perfect, but horrible is just nowhere near accurate.

"Horrible," is you being overdramatic. College basketball is incredibly competitive. A coach who is horrible at building a roster doesn't produce teams that win the SEC and regularly beat top 10 teams. Barnes and staff aren't perfect, but horrible is just nowhere near accurate.
Also, their PG plans were blown up when Yuri Collins didn’t pan out as was planned. If we got him this season would’ve played out completely different. Dude averages over 10apg which is just bonkers. He had one game I know of where he had 20 assists. Gosh I wish we could’ve gotten him!

Well, I've long been of the belief that Edwards was more 2G than PG, so I'm not sure Williams coming in affects him. I also believe that Dilione is more equipped to play the backup minutes at PG than BJE, so Edwards future at PG is already murky. He needs to work on becoming a reliable outside shooter and driving to the paint where he can use his size and strength to get to the rim.

Dillione and Edwards are on the court together often in practice with Edwards at the 2.

Also, their PG plans were blown up when Yuri Collins didn’t pan out as was planned. If we got him this season would’ve played out completely different. Dude averages over 10apg which is just bonkers. He had one game I know of where he had 20 assists. Gosh I wish we could’ve gotten him!

The SLU coach was willing to go nuclear on us and Yuri over tampering. At that point it became an undone/done deal and we had no backup. It blew up what would’ve been a great roster.

VN Store

Back