2023 Transfer Portal - General NCAA Thread

Darn, no more BMaze kids, how will we ever survive.
Barnes can recruit, and whoever follows him hopefully can as well but I hate to burn a bridge with a local program that regularly develops top talent. Not saying UT can't win without Maze but it seems like a relationship worth repairing. I admit I don't know all the background.

Barnes can recruit, and whoever follows him hopefully can as well but I hate to burn a bridge with a local program that regularly develops top talent. Not saying UT can't win without Maze but it seems like a relationship worth repairing. I admit I don't know all the background.
They average less than 1 worthwhile recruit a year, I don’t think it’s a big deal if we were to never take another BMaze kid again. And I’m not suggesting that’s the case, just saying worst case scenario. Realistically that hurts Maze, the kids and his program much more than it does UT.

Complete mishandling of the kid. I know first hand it’s agitated those around him, and likely impacted connections to other players UT might recruit.
I'm not going to speak for the kid or his family I just know I would be frustrated. Either play me or red shirt me. This wishy washy stuff would be annoying

They average less than 1 worthwhile recruit a year, I don’t think it’s a big deal if we were to never take another BMaze kid again. And I’m not suggesting that’s the case, just saying worst case scenario. Realistically that hurts Maze, the kids and his program much more than it does UT.
Not like they’re pumping out super elite kids even at their best, either. Springer is probably their best all time player by a wide margin (if we aren’t counting Tee Higgins w football).

I have a friend who swears that Jakobi Gillespie, freshman PG at Belmont from the Knoxville area, was a miss by Tennessee. Anyone have thoughts on him? I haven’t seen him play. Usually I make it to a Belmont game or 2, but it wasn’t in the cards this year.

People think every player that escapes Knoxville is a miss by Tennessee. There is far too much attachment to local players…

I'm not going to speak for the kid or his family I just know I would be frustrated. Either play me or red shirt me. This wishy washy stuff would be annoying
The kid didn’t want to redshirt, so Barnes didn’t make him, if he had you’d be pissed about that too. He was told there were no guarantees of playing time at all, he chose to ride it out.

The kid didn’t want to redshirt, so Barnes didn’t make him, if he had you’d be pissed about that too. He was told there were no guarantees of playing time at all, he chose to ride it out.
Depends on the conversation. Knowing they had ZZ and were looking at Collins, BJ should've known there probably weren't going to be many minutes for him this year.
The disappointing part is Collins backing out. He may have wanted to play but us going after Collins and Hunter tells me the staff didn't think too much of him this year.

Depends on the conversation. Knowing they had ZZ and were looking at Collins, BJ should've known there probably weren't going to be many minutes for him this year.
The disappointing part is Collins backing out. He may have wanted to play but us going after Collins and Hunter tells me the staff didn't think too much of him this year.
Which is why he was offered an opportunity to redshirt, that’s on him he chose not to. The staff very much likes his potential and even more so off the ball at the 2, they aren’t down on him or running him off.

I know this was said last off-season, but I do believe if Phillips returns, we add Cobe, and we can find a competent post player next year’s team should be really good and potentially another Top 10-15 team.

I don’t think we lose much with Uros and ORN. JJJ can’t stay healthy. Santi is obviously a big departure, but we can recoup that production.

We’ll be much more athletic next year. We should be better at scoring the basketball. And, Barnes teams will always be good at defense. I think once again it’s all going to come down to PG play, but I have high hopes for next year. Feels like a roster refresh with some newer blood getting bigger minutes and Phillips growing into his talent is what we need.

I know this was said last off-season, but I do believe if Phillips returns, we add Cobe, and we can find a competent post player next year’s team should be really good and potentially another Top 10-15 team.

I don’t think we lose much with Uros and ORN. JJJ can’t stay healthy. Santi is obviously a big departure, but we can recoup that production.

We’ll be much more athletic next year. We should be better at scoring the basketball. And, Barnes teams will always be good at defense. I think once again it’s all going to come down to PG play, but I have high hopes for next year. Feels like a roster refresh with some newer blood getting bigger minutes and Phillips growing into his talent is what we need.
If Phillips returns, and we add the pg from Louisiana tech and competent post player. Top 10 at the minimum imo. Team would be deep at every position and the athleticism 1-5 would be elite

Reactions: berryvol
Which is why he was offered an opportunity to redshirt, that’s on him he chose not to. The staff very much likes his potential and even more so off the ball at the 2, they aren’t down on him or running him off.
My idea that he might leave wasn't from the staffs side, just BJ's.
To get back on track, I'm not trying to turn this into a bash our coaches discussion.
I really do think one we won't expect leaves and BJ is a good candidate for it. We need a 2 with experience.
I think next years team will be a major upgrade in athleticism, but will have a youth problem.

The one thing I’ve learned with Barnes over the years is that it doesn’t matter how good of a player you are, if you don’t fit into and buy into the culture of the team, you won’t pan out very long here. Hopefully we get some really good players that can fit right in and help us out a lot. We are going to need it!

My idea that he might leave wasn't from the staffs side, just BJ's.
To get back on track, I'm not trying to turn this into a bash our coaches discussion.
I really do think one we won't expect leaves and BJ is a good candidate for it. We need a 2 with experience.
I think next years team will be a major upgrade in athleticism, but will have a youth problem.
If BJ leaves then sure, but if we add Cobe that’s a guard who can play the 2 with plenty of experience. You’ve complained about guys not playing before and here we have Dilione who came in early and yet you’re advocating for an experienced guard to seemingly play in front of him. Why? Just so you can turn around in 9 months and complain about how we’ve handled Dilione?

This ⬆️

So if JJJ returns, we only have 1 spot, right?

Is Santi definitely leaving? I thought I heard a rumor he might stick around one more year because of his GF?

Yes. There are 2 available spots assuming all 5 seniors leave and Phillips stays.

I have no idea about Santi. I’ve heard that all 3 international players are leaving - but I think I heard that on the radio. No direct knowledge. I’m actually surprised that Uros or Olivier wouldn’t be strong candidates to come back..

I do know with 100% certainty that JJJ is undecided. At least that is where he was at before the SECT.

If BJ leaves then sure, but if we add Cobe that’s a guard who can play the 2 with plenty of experience. You’ve complained about guys not playing before and here we have Dilione who came in early and yet you’re advocating for an experienced guard to seemingly play in front of him. Why? Just so you can turn around in 9 months and complain about how we’ve handled Dilione?
I'm not expecting anything from ZZ next season, if he contributes I think it's a major bonus. Cobe assuming we get him is one and then who's the other? If both FD and BJ were playing 10-15 minutes a game right now I'd be confident in them stepping into bigger roles, but neither have the experience. They both should've come in getting 10 minutes a game and more in blowouts. If they're going to play they need to be bench rotational pieces not guys we rely on.
Plus I want a cold blooded sharp shooter to come in and play the 2, we have more drivers which is great, but who's taking over Vescovi's role?

335137735_606367074672887_3793968612098042612_n.jpg

I'm not expecting anything from ZZ next season, if he contributes I think it's a major bonus. Cobe assuming we get him is one and then who's the other? If both FD and BJ were playing 10-15 minutes a game right now I'd be confident in them stepping into bigger roles, but neither have the experience. They both should've come in getting 10 minutes a game and more in blowouts. If they're going to play they need to be bench rotational pieces not guys we rely on.
Plus I want a cold blooded sharp shooter to come in and play the 2, we have more drivers which is great, but who's taking over Vescovi's role?
I love Santi, and aspects of him will be missed, but I think a consistent 35% shooter who can get his own shot and beat folks off the dribble could very well be a better overall offensive threat than a spot up 38% 3pt shooter who struggles to get his own look or beat folks off the dribble.

VN Store

Back