Longest lasting cars/trucks

Had any problems with the fuel pump?
No. Never really had any problems with it at all outside of routine parts replacement. I did put a new heavy duty transmission in it a few years ago. Not because the old one had gone bad; I planned on keeping it for long time and decide to just go ahead and upgrade it. Did not replace the motor because it ran fine, I had it tested, and my mechanic said there was no reason to replace it. For the last ten years, have averaged around 4,000 miles a year on it and just have been unwilling to spend the kind of money to replace it no more than what I drive it.

No. Never really had any problems with it at all outside of routine parts replacement. I did put a new heavy duty transmission in it a few years ago. Not because the old one had gone bad; I planned on keeping it for long time and decide to just go ahead and upgrade it. Did not replace the motor because it ran fine, I had it tested, and my mechanic said there was no reason to replace it. For the last ten years, have averaged around 4,000 miles a year on it and just have been unwilling to spend the kind of money to replace it no more than what I drive it.

I had the 2001 GMC version and the fuel pump went out somewhere about 70k and again close to 200k after I gave it to my son. PITA to fix but other than that it was a good truck.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
Have and still drive 2002 Acura MDX with 287K + on it. Did replace the transmission at 203K. Everything else has been just typical wear and tear.
I've got some parts for this model if you have a need. I've had several.

THe good ole 240. 0-60 in 4.5 days, but always got to where you pointed it.

So true. They can have some downright weird stuff in them when you work on them, but they're tough to kill.

I'm not sure I've every seen a better first car for a teenager (at least back in the late 90s when I was a kid). Safe as hell, even without all the newer safety things.

Otherwise, I'm a Toyota guy til i'm buried. I'd be happy in any GM Truck before the lifter mess of the last several years as well.

These Are The Longest-Lasting Cars (In Miles) | ZeroHedge

2023-01-03_11-13-10.jpg
Toyota Tacomas are the most indestructible trucks, that's why the terrorist drive them.

Reactions: Carl Pickens
Toyota Tacomas are the most indestructible trucks, that's why the terrorist drive them.
They're probably driving a Hilux but I get what you mean. I'm not sure if they still are now, but the Hilux were more durable/off road capable than Tacomas. Different frame/suspension/engine options in the past I believe. But that may have changed now for all I know.

Reactions: EasternVol
They're probably driving a Hilux but I get what you mean. I'm not sure if they still are now, but the Hilux were more durable/off road capable than Tacomas. Different frame/suspension/engine options in the past I believe. But that may have changed now for all I know.
I always thought a Hilux basically a Tacoma, with 50 cal in the bed.

I always thought a Hilux basically a Tacoma, with 50 cal in the bed.
I think those are referred to as "technicals".

Tacoma/Hilux are like siblings coming from the same truck. In the US you only got a Toyota pickup till 1995 I think when Toyota went from just having a "pickup" to actually creating the Tacoma. Hilux are sold internationally and Toyota doesn't sell them in the US due to a chicken tax. Tacomas were created for the US market with better handling/ride quality for American drivers who use them for residential purposes. Overseas Hilux are probably geared more for commercial.

Last edited:
Since I began perusing this thread, I’ve been seeing classic car ads below…

I had the 2001 GMC version and the fuel pump went out somewhere about 70k and again close to 200k after I gave it to my son. PITA to fix but other than that it was a good truck.
Sorry hog, I think I did replace the fuel pump one time, but it had over 200,000 on it when I did.

Not a car/truck, but my dad bought my sister and I a Honda 110 3-wheeler in 1985 for, like, $700 brand new. We and the 3 wheeler had a mutual agreement that we would try to kill each other, and despite the best efforts of man and machine, neither succeeded. That 3 wheeler is about to embark on its third generation of our family and it’s still running great. Other than routine maintenance, I think the only thing that has been replaced is the pull start cord

Reactions: McDad and hog88
Not a car/truck, but my dad bought my sister and I a Honda 110 3-wheeler in 1985 for, like, $700 brand new. We and the 3 wheeler had a mutual agreement that we would try to kill each other, and despite the best efforts of man and machine, neither succeeded. That 3 wheeler is about to embark on its third generation of our family and it’s still running great. Other than routine maintenance, I think the only thing that has been replaced is the pull start cord
My cousin finally killed our old Big Red 3 wheeler a few years ago. Thing hadn't had any plastics left on it since probably 1990

Reactions: McDad and VaBornVol
My 1996 Nissan Altima had more 250k when we got rid of it. Only issues were the alternator kept giving out. Probably a wiring issue, but couldnt rule out some past damage from a couple accidents.

Had fuel pump go out 5 times on my S-10 4.3. It happened so often, I almost cut an access panel in the bed to get to it without pulling the bed off. Replced transmission at 280K. And at some point a intake gasket. Still running like a top at about 370K miles. My neighbor down the road honks at me every day as he goes by in it. Rubbing it in that I sold it to him.

For the most part, I fully support that statement. My '94 22R, 5 speed, bench seat 4x4 was on a different level. Even pulled a heavy Procraft Fish n Ski like it was a feather. However, it's limit was rear ending someone at 50mph. There's just some things even a Toyo can't handle.

2001 5.3L Chevrolet S1500 Z71 with 264,900.

View attachment 531833

Quite possibly the most popular body style truck ever created by any automaker. Only the SR5/Tacoma could even be in the same concert. By, comparison, the new F150 & F250's bodies are the best looking Fords in decades. Not as fond of the Silverados now, but the GMC variants have a much better look.

I think you're right. I'd have to look, but for now I think they are still separate platforms.

The concept is still true- The Hilux is still available in much more sparse/utlity trims, less...um...restricted diesel engines in certain markets, etc. But they're mainly suited to the markets they're sold in. More affluent markets have trucks that are similar to our high line Tacomas.

I think there's a chance the lines come back together in the future though, especially once Toyota settles on how they want to go forward with powertrains, etc.

That said...I'd still love to have one of the basic ones. My Papaw had an old 85 or 86 2wd that I adored and I've been hooked ever since.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Had fuel pump go out 5 times on my S-10 4.3. It happened so often, I almost cut an access panel in the bed to get to it without pulling the bed off. Replced transmission at 280K. And at some point a intake gasket. Still running like a top at about 370K miles. My neighbor down the road honks at me every day as he goes by in it. Rubbing it in that I sold it to him.

I had an '87 S-15 4x4 with the 4.3, bare bones manual windows/doors and transmission, nary a problem with it. I traded it in 2001 for the 1500, can't remember the miles.

We still have one for our farm. But we hardly use it anymore. 20170921_194654.jpg

Reactions: VaBornVol

VN Store

Back