Ukraine II: The Fight Against Russian Aggression

News is coming out this morning that Putin is now considering issuing Russian passports to all of Ukraine not just the occupied territories. This isn’t good folks, more creeping annexation.
And again... if the choose to get Russian passports, how can you even fix your mouth to suggest that this is annexation or an invasion or a conquest when the people are choosing to move closer to Russia?
Please explain to me how this wouldn't be nothing more than the people voting with their feet?

Reactions: Pacer92
News is coming out this morning that Putin is now considering issuing Russian passports to all of Ukraine not just the occupied territories. This isn’t good folks, more creeping annexation.

How did you calculate all that to equal more creeping annexation?!

And again... if the choose to get Russian passports, how can you even fix your mouth to suggest that this is annexation or an invasion or a conquest when the people are choosing to move closer to Russia?
Please explain to me how this wouldn't be nothing more than the people voting with their feet?

It gives Russia the pretext to further invade Ukraine to “protect Russian citizens”. Same way it was used against Georgia.

Ukraine is as much a part of Russia as Crimea is. So why move?

You just don’t get it.

How did you calculate all that to equal more creeping annexation?!

Putin is using citizenship/passport as weapons. He did it against Georgia and now Ukraine. Him giving people passports can be used as a way to involve themselves in the affairs of sovereign countries to protect “Russian citizens”. What’s to stop him from doing this in say the Baltic’s where there are sizable Russian minorities to stir up unrest in NATO countries?

Ukraine is as much a part of Russia as Crimea is. So why move?
That's not how nations work.

Putin is using citizenship/passport as weapons. He did it against Georgia and now Ukraine. Him giving people passports can be used as a way to involve themselves in the affairs of sovereign countries to protect “Russian citizens”. What’s to stop him from doing this in say the Baltic’s where there are sizable Russian minorities to stir up unrest in NATO countries?

Yes. From the link above:

In 2002, the Kremlin began granting Russian citizenship to residents of Georgia’s breakaway regions of Abkhazia and South Ossetia. That policy that helped raise the number of Russian passport holders there from about 20 percent to more than 85 percent of the population.

Then, when Russia went to war against Georgia in August 2008, the Kremlin justified its deployment of Russian military forces in Abkhazia and South Ossetia by saying those forces were needed to protect Russia citizens in the separatist regions.

It gives Russia the pretext to further invade Ukraine to “protect Russian citizens”. Same way it was used against Georgia.

You just don’t get it.

Is he putting a gun to people's heads or threatening them with a trip to Siberia if they don't take a Russian passport?

What is wrong with Russia offering citizenship or citizenship privileges?

If there are enough people that take the offer, then that might punch holes in the Russian invasion/annexation narrative.

Would you be fine if parts of the SW U.S. wanted to break away and become Mexico?
See I knew this would come up, and it is totally different.

If Mexico offered citizenship to those residents, how many would accept it? How many of the people living there are already citizens of Mexico? If 85-90% of people there accept Mexican citizenship, them that tells you all you need to know. But you and I both know that if that were to occur right now, the only people that would accept the offer would be people that are already Mexican citizens (illegal aliens), not too many native born Americans would take the offer.

I know it's different but I'm trying to determine whether you're generally OK with countries taking territory from other ones or if this is just a Russia thing.
Russia isn't taking anything. The people are choosing Russia.

The West has been getting outmaneuvered by Putin time and time again. The West is the one that brought Ukraine on the verge of being a failed state with their US State Dept/CIA coup of Yanukovich in 2014. Putin has now countered the West with the anti-Berlin Wall. Instead of building a wall to keep people trapped in a communist state, he's opening the flood gates for anyone in Ukraine to join Russia.

Russia isn't taking anything. The people are choosing Russia.

The West has been getting outmaneuvered by Putin time and time again. The West is the one that brought Ukraine on the verge of being a failed state with their US State Dept/CIA coup of Yanukovich in 2014. Putin has now countered the West with the anti-Berlin Wall. Instead of building a wall to keep people trapped in a communist state, he's opening the flood gates for anyone in Ukraine to join Russia.

You join Russia by moving there.

Interesting bit (for a layperson like me) in the full segment on the submarine tracking they're doing around Norway.

Last edited:
See I knew this would come up, and it is totally different.

If Mexico offered citizenship to those residents, how many would accept it? How many of the people living there are already citizens of Mexico? If 85-90% of people there accept Mexican citizenship, them that tells you all you need to know. But you and I both know that if that were to occur right now, the only people that would accept the offer would be people that are already Mexican citizens (illegal aliens), not too many native born Americans would take the offer.
No it isn’t Ras put your Russian Red glasses away. Disingenuously dismissing a citizenship offer doesn’t disarm the political motivations behind it. Both would be wrong. Russia just might succeed where Mexico never would.

No it isn’t Ras put your Russian Red glasses away. Disingenuously dismissing a citizenship offer doesn’t disarm the political motivations behind it. Both would be wrong. Russia just might succeed where Mexico never would.
Ask yourself this.... why would Putin offer citizenship unless he knew that it would be a popular move in Ukraine?

If the concern was that Putin would only get a minuscule number of people to jump on the offer, this would be a non-issue.

Ask yourself this.... why would Putin offer citizenship unless he knew that it would be a popular move in Ukraine?

If the concern was that Putin would only get a minuscule number of people to jump on the offer, this would be a non-issue.
Doesn’t mean it’s the right action Ras.

Is it Russian citizenship in addition to, or in lieu of, Ukrainian citizenship? I think if the UK or an EU nation said I could have their citizenship in addition to US citizenship, I'd take it. Better to have options. But if I had to give up US citizenship I wouldn't do it.

Dissent. Weakening an enemy. Rebuilding the USSR. Things he has done before

Dissent. Weakening an enemy. Rebuilding the USSR. Things he has done before
Yep. First he gets a large “Russian citizen” population living in various areas of the Ukraine. Then he moves to “protect Russian citizens” and stabilize the region. After all... he’s only acting in the best interests of his constituents. Annexation without firing a shot. But we know they’ll fire shots too.

VN Store

Back