Josh Dobbs (merged)

Let's talk about that. You've posted links to videos of whistle-to-whistle cut-ups of certain players. I would consider that fairly weak film study, especially because you've indicated that you watch a very limited number of games, even in cut-up form.

But aside from that, your take away from watching film or games or whatever raises a lot of questions. Let's take an obvious example:

Following the Georgia Tech game, you pointed out that UT had a bad scheme in place to defend the triple option. I don't think anyone would argue against that. However, you also said this:

And you said these things after claiming to have rewatched the game. In fact, you said you felt even better about UT's defense after rewatching the game.

Well, as we all know, Week 1 was a harbinger of the things to come in Weeks 2 thru 12. The "athleticism" and "pursuit," the "explosive" players "flowing to the ball" with "speed and passion" eventually produced the worst rushing defense in Tennessee history and one of the worst in the 85 year history of the SEC.

So, if you liked what you saw after the Georgia Tech game, and then saw the exact same thing for the rest of the season, did you like what you saw from one of the worst ever SEC rush defenses? If you didn't like it, then what did you do wrong when studying the film? Have you recognized the flaws in your process? How are you correcting those flaws?

I'm sure you'll say you were just being a fan, because what else can you say? Otherwise your film review is not merely flawed, it's abysmal.

So I'm guessing you're gonna ignore the fact Tennessee has one of the worst offenses in the nations and statistically the worse offense in the SEC last year?

I know you don't watch many Tennessee games so I'll direct you to the Georgia game. Its a good microcosm of Tennessee's season last year. Remember how the game started? Tennessee was playing good defense. They looked to be in a game they shouldn't have been. They had Georgia contained. The defense was forcing turnovers. However, the offense was so inept that the defense kept going out on the field. They got tired and then eventually gashed. Georgia wins the game 41-0 when in the first quarter and a half it looked like Tennesse's defense had them locked down.

Also Tennessee's defense suffered loads of injuries because of how much they were on the field given the inept offense. Injuries and depth were the cause of the problems on defense. It was not because of a lack of talent. There are a lot of players on Tennessee defense that will be studs in the NFL. Nigel Warrior, Daniel Bituli, Darrell Taylor. Those are studs in the NFL with pro-bowl potential.

AGAIN, you know nothing about judging QBs ... all of us are very confident about that. You just caused fans of teams the Rams play against to get pissed because you all but now guarantee Goff will throw for 4k for the next 5 years and about 30+ TDs.

Sports is a marathon not a sprint. If I said after their rookie year that Kirk Cousins would be a starting QB in the NFL longer than RG3, most would have said that was crazy. Now we see that its what happened.

I would still take Kevin Hogan over Jared Goff any day of the week. Very soon the smoke and mirrors that made Goff look good last year will come apart. And he'll be exposed for the scrub he is. And very soon Kevin Hogan will get his shot and prove to be a competent starting QB. And at the conclusion of their careers, EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE will agree that Kevin Hogan was the better NFL player.

I'm here to win the marathon, not the sprint.

Sports is a marathon not a sprint. If I said after their rookie year that Kirk Cousins would be a starting QB in the NFL longer than RG3, most would have said that was crazy. Now we see that its what happened.

I would still take Kevin Hogan over Jared Goff any day of the week. Very soon the smoke and mirrors that made Goff look good last year will come apart. And he'll be exposed for the scrub he is. And very soon Kevin Hogan will get his shot and prove to be a competent starting QB. And at the conclusion of their careers, EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE will agree that Kevin Hogan was the better NFL player.

I'm here to win the marathon, not the sprint.

Paragraph one was something I actually believed at the time because RG3 kept taking hits.

Hogan does not have the arm talent anywhere near Goff.

Reactions: 1 person
So I'm guessing you're gonna ignore the fact Tennessee has one of the worst offenses in the nations and statistically the worse offense in the SEC last year?

I know you don't watch many Tennessee games so I'll direct you to the Georgia game. Its a good microcosm of Tennessee's season last year. Remember how the game started? Tennessee was playing good defense. They looked to be in a game they shouldn't have been. They had Georgia contained. The defense was forcing turnovers. However, the offense was so inept that the defense kept going out on the field. They got tired and then eventually gashed. Georgia wins the game 41-0 when in the first quarter and a half it looked like Tennesse's defense had them locked down.

Also Tennessee's defense suffered loads of injuries because of how much they were on the field given the inept offense. Injuries and depth were the cause of the problems on defense. It was not because of a lack of talent. There are a lot of players on Tennessee defense that will be studs in the NFL. Nigel Warrior, Daniel Bituli, Darrell Taylor. Those are studs in the NFL with pro-bowl potential.

Which game did you watch last year instead of Tennessee vs Georgia?:ermm:

Georgia was up 10-0 before 10 minutes had passed, and proceeded to score another 14 before the end of the half; we didn't contain anything on the defensive side of the ball.

While it is true that UT's offense was the worst in the SEC in 2017, you can look back over just the past decade or so and find several that were worse. None of them also produced the kind of horrendous defense that UT rolled out. For instance, 2008 Vanderbilt gained less than 260 yards per game. That's the worst in the last 10 years. Their defense gave up 145 rushing ypg. Bad, but not 2017 UT bad.

I know you don't watch many Tennessee games

Attended 2 and watched the other 10. I know that you have ways of measuring various numbers that can only be quantified by you, so maybe "all" doesn't qualify as "many." Doesn't really matter.

so I'll direct you to the Georgia game. Its a good microcosm of Tennessee's season last year. Remember how the game started? Tennessee was playing good defense. They looked to be in a game they shouldn't have been. They had Georgia contained. The defense was forcing turnovers.

Even with sacks included in the rushing numbers, UT gave up 118 yards on the ground in the first half. And UGA gave up 1 turnover in the first half (and the entire game). But, again, I understand that numbers are malleable to you, so perhaps 1 turnover somehow allows you to use the phrase "forcing turnovers" without it being complete bulls***. I can't keep up and don't really care to try.

Bama suffered an insane amount of injuries (didn't have but one reserve linebacker who managed to see the field in all 14 games), had less talent than Tennessee (according to you), and still produced the best defense in the country. Further, of the guys you named, only Taylor missed any time (2 games). Those future pro-bowlers were on the field and got worn out.

ROFL...after the GT game you doubled down that UT was going to win the National Championship, AND stated GT would win the ACC. And you claimed after the Florida game UF was a great team.

And the same Georgia game that hours before you said UT would whip their ass?

Reactions: 3 people
Which game did you watch last year instead of Tennessee vs Georgia?:ermm:

Georgia was up 10-0 before 10 minutes had passed, and proceeded to score another 14 before the end of the half; we didn't contain anything on the defensive side of the ball.

You don't remember Dormady throwing a pick on his first pass attempt setting up Georgia with great field position inside our 30? You don't remember our defense holding them to 3? Or how about a few drives later when Justin Martin picks off Fromm setting us up inside the Georgia 30 only for Dormady to fumble the snap and give momentum right back to Georgia?

The offense did the defense no favors that day. And yet the defense held their own for as long as they could.
Go back and read the game thread about that game. You look like you need a refresher on how that game went. Just looking at the box score won't be enough. I seem to remember that game far better than you do right now. People were praising how the defense looked early despite how awful the offense was.

You don't remember Dormady throwing a pick on his first pass attempt setting up Georgia with great field position inside our 30? You don't remember our defense holding them to 3? Or how about a few drives later when Justin Martin picks off Fromm setting us up inside the Georgia 30 only for Dormady to fumble the snap and give momentum right back to Georgia?

The offense did the defense no favors that day. And yet the defense held their own for as long as they could.
Go back and read the game thread about that game. You look like you need a refresher on how that game went. Just looking at the box score won't be enough. I seem to remember that game far better than you do right now. People were praising how the defense looked early despite how awful the offense was.

I remember you stressed how UT was going to whip Georgia's ass.

While it is true that UT's offense was the worst in the SEC in 2017, you can look back over just the past decade or so and find several that were worse. None of them also produced the kind of horrendous defense that UT rolled out. For instance, 2008 Vanderbilt gained less than 260 yards per game. That's the worst in the last 10 years. Their defense gave up 145 rushing ypg. Bad, but not 2017 UT bad.

Attended 2 and watched the other 10. I know that you have ways of measuring various numbers that can only be quantified by you, so maybe "all" doesn't qualify as "many." Doesn't really matter.

Even with sacks included in the rushing numbers, UT gave up 118 yards on the ground in the first half. And UGA gave up 1 turnover in the first half (and the entire game). But, again, I understand that numbers are malleable to you, so perhaps 1 turnover somehow allows you to use the phrase "forcing turnovers" without it being complete bulls***. I can't keep up and don't really care to try.

Bama suffered an insane amount of injuries (didn't have but one reserve linebacker who managed to see the field in all 14 games), had less talent than Tennessee (according to you), and still produced the best defense in the country. Further, of the guys you named, only Taylor missed any time (2 games). Those future pro-bowlers were on the field and got worn out.

Are you seriously going to compare Nick Saban to Butch Jones?

Tennessee's program had an anvil around their neck by the name of Butch Jones. Just watch what Jeremy Pruitt does with the same roster.

I have a feeling people will truly understand how bad Butch Jones was when they see Jeremy Pruitt taking this team to the SEC Championship Game in Year 1.

Are you seriously going to argue that UT's performance was solely about coaching?

Tennessee's program had an anvil around their neck by the name of Butch Jones. Just watch what Jeremy Pruitt does with the same roster.

I have a feeling people will truly understand how bad Butch Jones was when they see Jeremy Pruitt taking this team to the SEC Championship Game in Year 1.

And what if that doesn't happen?

By the way, I really like how you just glossed over being called out on your nonsense regarding the Georgia game.

Are you about to argue that Alvin Kamara is a fluke?

I'm arguing that either you have some form of anterograde amnesia or think everyone else that has ever read even a fraction of your postings does. This board overfloweth with you making not only immediate but outright claims of prescient knowledge when it suits you or "just wait" when that's what you need to try and fend off reality in the here and now. This has played out over and over and over and over and over...

Are you seriously going to argue that UT's performance was solely about coaching?

100%.

And this year will be proof of it. Pruitt will turn it all around in Year 1 and guys like Dobbs, Kamara, and Sutton will be dominating the NFL.

Then everyone including you will realize I was right all along.

100%.

And this year will be proof of it. Pruitt will turn it all around in Year 1 and guys like Dobbs, Kamara, and Sutton will be dominating the NFL.

Is this the same situation where you were right about Georgia being the national champion even though they didn't win the national championship?

Reactions: 2 people
Butch Jones was far worse than I could've imagined.

Or maybe you were far worse that you imagined. I mean you'd think a self proclaimed smart analyst like yourself would have recognized in the 4 years prior that Jones was hardly a caliber of coach to lead a team to any kind of championship, especially after being 100% wrong on the same prediction the year before.

100%.

Says the guy that has been 100% wrong the past 2 years about what UT is going to do. But hey keep milking that excuse Mr. I Don't Make Excuses.

And it was repeatedly pointed out to you before the season how bad Jones was and you laughed at anyone that said you'd be wrong. You repeated over and over how everyone would see how right you would be....and we're still waiting.

And oh look, you're doing it again. So you are saying UT will win the East. How much?

And it was repeatedly pointed out to you before the season how bad Jones was and you laughed at anyone that said you'd be wrong. You repeated over and over how everyone would see how right you would be....and we're still waiting.

And oh look, you're doing it again. So you are saying UT will win the East. How much?

I was the one saying it. It was very funny seeing D4H actually learning that coaching does matter in football.

I was the one saying it. It was very funny seeing D4H actually learning that coaching does matter in football.

Right. He learned that coaching was important in 2016, but then ignored that lesson prior to 2017. Now he thinks that coaching can make future pro-bowlers look like the Keystone Cops.

There is never a grey area with D4H. Coaching can't be part of the problem, it must be the whole problem or it's no problem at all. Either it means nothing or it means everything.

Right. He learned that coaching was important in 2016, but then ignored that lesson prior to 2017. Now he thinks that coaching can make future pro-bowlers look like the Keystone Cops.

There is never a grey area with D4H. Coaching can't be part of the problem, it must be the whole problem or it's no problem at all. Either it means nothing or it means everything.

Football is a variation of a bunch of things. Could come down to cultural fit, scheme fit, staff fit, or talent level.

The most D4H statement in history came the morning after the CFPNCG.

Georgia didn't win the national championship, but "my football analysis was 100% correct."

The thing he predicted did not happen, but he was right anyway.

Yeah and his excuse was “How was I supposed to know Saban would put Tua in and he’d tear it up?” The number of times he’s demonstrated he doesn’t understand how predictions work is amazing.

VN Store

Back