'18 SC WR Bryce Thompson (UT commit 5/30/18)

You can still be objective about it. Brandon Johnson is not the best WR on the team.

He's been the most dependable and most consistent, but talent wise we have more gifted receiver's with higher ceilings. He is the true example of a possession receiver. Similar to what Tony Brown and Lucas Taylor were when they were here. They weren't big plays waiting to happen but the guy you threw to on 3rd and 6 and got you a 1st down.

I agree. He's been the most reliable game in and out. Callaway has the potential but he will have a good game then disappear a few games then make an appearance again. Definitely the reason he led the receiver's in reception's. He's not the fastest or most athletic WR but he's steady and a good possession receiver.

I might be mistaken but I think Callaway was injured early in the season last year and I believe that limited him the rest of the year.

He's been the most dependable and most consistent, but talent wise we have more gifted receiver's with higher ceilings. He is the true example of a possession receiver. Similar to what Tony Brown and Lucas Taylor were when they were here. They weren't big plays waiting to happen but the guy you threw to on 3rd and 6 and got you a 1st down.

Nothing wrong with that. There is money to be made.

I’ll trust the coaches, but man his highlights on O were legit.

Maybe they’re sending Taylor back to offense. I remember in his recruitment he stressed he wanted to play WR, and the coaches, while recruiting him, told him they wanted him at WR

I might be mistaken but I think Callaway was injured early in the season last year and I believe that limited him the rest of the year.

That's definitely possible. I love the idea of Callaway and Jennings on the outside with Johnson and Williams rotating in the slot. Plus excited to see what Thompson and Tillman can do. Tillman's size makes him a redzone threat.

Him and Tae at corner suddenly make me less concerned about depth. Add in Kennedy to OL, and many weaknesses begin to be minimized.

XV-Nulla

Plus the JUCO DB George Jr arriving. He could potentially lock down one corner spot. He has good size and plays physical.

Reactions: 1 person
Plus the JUCO DB George Jr arriving. He could potentially lock down one corner spot. He has good size and plays physical.

I hope so. He’s still fairly raw from an experience standpoint, so I’m tempering the expectations for early returns there. Who knows, the one position with extra scrutiny from Pruitt is the DB’s so I hope I will be pleasantly surprised.

I definitely think we're well enough off at WR that we can try AT and Thompson out at CB and see what they've got. If they're not great there, put them on offense. But I think their path to early PT is defense and STs.

Reactions: 2 people
I definitely think we're well enough off at WR that we can try AT and Thompson out at CB and see what they've got. If they're not great there, put them on offense. But I think their path to early PT is defense and STs.

Agreed. I think we have decent talent at WR. Plus it's easier to mask a weak receiving core than it is bad cornerbacks.

Alontae has embraced the move. I love pairing these two athletes at corner. Honestly you have to trust Pruitt in this situation. If he thinks they belong on defense, who am I to argue?

That's definitely possible. I love the idea of Callaway and Jennings on the outside with Johnson and Williams rotating in the slot. Plus excited to see what Thompson and Tillman can do. Tillman's size makes him a redzone threat.

Yeah I see it hard to keep Tillman off the field this year. Kid is huge for a Freshman receiver.

Then the DB situation is a LOT worse than we’ve been led to believe.

I don't it has been any secret that we're lacking in the secondary. With the full court press we put on so many corners to close the '18 cycle... to a number of recruits having watched our practices and commenting on how bad our secondary was, or being told by our staff they could come in and play right away. Everyone knows we need an overhaul at the position.

Also as much as I had Muschamp and the cocks new found cockiness, I have to respect him as a defensive mind. And he - like Pruitt - was going to start this kid on defense.

And this is kind of random, but to me this kind of softens the blow of losing Jaycee Horn to usce. We had a few really talented guys de-commit from us during the dumpster fire, but I hated to see Horn leave. Really thought/think he'll be good. I'll be paying attention to Horn and Thompson over their careers to see who ends up better.

Last edited:
Then the DB situation is a LOT worse than we’ve been led to believe.

This may be true, but I remember either reading/listening to this kid stating his preference and he stated he wanted to play DB but wasn't opposed to playing WR.

He said he thought he had a better chance at playing time at DB and that in furtherance of his career that was the best route for him.

VN Store

Back