'18 SC WR Bryce Thompson (UT commit 5/30/18)

Yeah I see it hard to keep Tillman off the field this year. Kid is huge for a Freshman receiver.

I like Tillman's upside, but I'm not sure I see him taking much PT this year from JJ, Callaway, Johnson, or Palmer. If one of the guys on the outside goes down, Johnson probably ends up sliding outside to take their place. Backups like Murphy, Jones, and Williams all have upside as well. We'll likely also be seeing a decent uptick in 2TE sets and Tillman's gonna have his work cut out for him to see too much PT outside of our 3 cupcake OOC games.

Then the DB situation is a LOT worse than we’ve been led to believe.
It’s been pretty obvious that that is our worst position. However, Thompson is a stud and his highest upside is at CB. He and Taylor might be our starting corners by October

Reactions: 2 people
Didn't he tweet out he was wearing #22? Isn't that Abernathy's number? Assumed that would make him an offensive player lol

Good grief... George has barely played football. He’s not locking down a CB spot in a month of work

Dude That's why the word potentially was used. If a true FR can start at Corner in college football, then so could a JUCO guy with 1 yr of college under his belt. All I was saying is he has the size JP wants and potentially could. With the lack of production we have returning at corner, anyone could lock down a spot. He's also getting more than 1 month of work. It's not like guys don't get work in before fall camp starts. By my count he gets 3 months of work before game 1. Was just an observation,not a guaranteed starting prediction.

This may be true, but I remember either reading/listening to this kid stating his preference and he stated he wanted to play DB but wasn't opposed to playing WR.

He said he thought he had a better chance at playing time at DB and that in furtherance of his career that was the best route for him.

I could be wrong, but thought I had read he preferred WR and would get first shot there. But was willing to play DB and could be his best chance to play early.

I like Tillman's upside, but I'm not sure I see him taking much PT this year from JJ, Callaway, Johnson, or Palmer. If one of the guys on the outside goes down, Johnson probably ends up sliding outside to take their place. Backups like Murphy, Jones, and Williams all have upside as well. We'll likely also be seeing a decent uptick in 2TE sets and Tillman's gonna have his work cut out for him to see too much PT outside of our 3 cupcake OOC games.

You definitely may be right but Tillman would be our biggest WR along with Jennings. Jennings and Tillman would probably be our 2 most physical WR's. Imagine a Redzone look where we have 6'3 210+ Jennings and Tillman, then 6'2 Callaway and/ or 6'2 Johnson and 6'5 TE Wood-Anderson. That is a lot of size to try and cover down there. You're absolutely right about Johnson too, he can play the slot or move outside. I'm really looking forward to seeing what a healthy Williams can do with his speed. We badly need that HR threat that can get behind the secondary. I fully expect our WR's to take a huge step with better coaching. Not to mention we won't be rotating 6-8 a game like Butch did, so maybe it helps get them in the flow of the game more. I can see Wood-Anderson being our pass catching TE. He will be a mismatch with his 6'5 245+frame.

Reactions: 1 person
Then the DB situation is a LOT worse than we’ve been led to believe.

Not sure about you but I never thought it looked good at least at CB. Talent but unproven. My guess is he is throwing as many options at that spot to see who rises to the top. Also our OC is plenty familiar with how to incorporate a package for a 2 way player if AT or BT need a package. He just wants to find best spots for their future as well as best way to help team now. I like it. Why have a guy sitting in sidelines getting a snap here or there when they could be a starter elsewhere this yr

That's a valid point about the uptick in 2TE sets. Didn't even think about that. Maybe this coaching staff will rotate receivers more to keep them less winded and healthier.

Very good points though.

I could be wrong, but thought I had read he preferred WR and would get first shot there. But was willing to play DB and could be his best chance to play early.

Lol now I'm second guessing what I think I heard Jason..... Thanks for that....

I think all kids prefer WR to CB because it's the pretty position and easier. CB is tougher but also the ability to make more money if your even average at it as teams can't find enough of them

Yeah I see it hard to keep Tillman off the field this year. Kid is huge for a Freshman receiver.

Absolutely! I could see him being in the the 2nd rotation on the outside along with Palmer with his size. We don't have a lot of big, physical receivers and he's just gonna get bigger and stronger. Don't know how many 4 WR sets Helton likes to use, but a 6'3 205-210 Jennings and Tillman with 6'2 Callaway and 6'2 Johnson gets good size on the field. Plus 6'5 Wood-Anderson. Whoever our starting QB is will have some big body targets to throw to. Going to be so damn refreshing to see a more traditional and physical offense with the QB under center. Got so tired of seeing a shotgun formation with 4th and inches or 4th and Goal from the 1. Wish I knew the number during Butch's tenure that we had 1st and Goal inside 3-5 and couldn't score a TD, even with 4 attempts on some possessions. We had to have set a record in a 5 yr span of 1st and Goal inside the 5 with either kicking a FG, throwing an int, fumbling or turning it over on downs. I remember that game vs Flor where they fumbled the punt and we got the ball inside their 3. 4 attempts later they were celebrating a goal line stand.

I think all kids prefer WR to CB because it's the pretty position and easier. CB is tougher but also the ability to make more money if your even average at it as teams can't find enough of them

100% agree. You get more highlight reel plays and opportunities to score TD's at WR and one that gets a lot of attention. Most attention DB's get is when they get Int's or the dreaded getting made to look bad by a receiver.

Kid needs at least 5 touches a game. Outside of special teams.

He can be the starting CB and get a few key touches per game.

Wildcat...dump pass...jetsweep.
Nothing fancy. But we HAVE to use his skill set to make defenders miss and break tackles.

Look at his film. He almost NEVER gets tackled by the first man.

With all that said...
He's 6'0", fast, physical with rare agility and superior ball skills. You absolutely have to give him a hard look at CB

Lol now I'm second guessing what I think I heard Jason..... Thanks for that....

Haha..I'm doing the same thing man. I'm gonna try and find the article I read. I very well could have gotten it turned around. I've read so much Vol stuff lately, I could be 100% wrong.

Why does everyone pencil in JJ as a starter? We have a few wr's that are way more talented than him. Don't understand the love fest with him. He's an average receiver imo.

I think it's more that he's the leading receiver out of our WR group.. Only Jennings, Johnson, Callaway,Byrd and Palmer have reception's in their career. Most of Byrd's was his Fr Yr and Palmer only has 9. Him and Fr Tillman will be our Bigger and most physical WR's. Jennings's has definitely been inconsistent at WR and has been known to take plays off or drop passes. Hoping a real WR coach can help with that. Truthfully Brandon Johnson is the WR I trust the most but he's not the big play WR, he's the one you trust to get you 8 yards on 3rd and 7. Callaway could be our best overall WR but he's mostly been an all or nothing WR for us so far with zero consistency. But like all of our other position groups, I blame their previous coaching. I won't judge them till we see how they play under this staff. Especially on the offensive side, with that God awful group of coach's they had under Butch.

You definitely may be right but Tillman would be our biggest WR along with Jennings. Jennings and Tillman would probably be our 2 most physical WR's. Imagine a Redzone look where we have 6'3 210+ Jennings and Tillman, then 6'2 Callaway and/ or 6'2 Johnson and 6'5 TE Wood-Anderson. That is a lot of size to try and cover down there. You're absolutely right about Johnson too, he can play the slot or move outside. I'm really looking forward to seeing what a healthy Williams can do with his speed. We badly need that HR threat that can get behind the secondary. I fully expect our WR's to take a huge step with better coaching. Not to mention we won't be rotating 6-8 a game like Butch did, so maybe it helps get them in the flow of the game more. I can see Wood-Anderson being our pass catching TE. He will be a mismatch with his 6'5 245+frame.
Size is great and all, but a lot more goes into playing WR than being tall. Not sure I’d call Tillman one of our most physical receivers yet either. Very premature there.

I don’t see many red zone situations where we’re not in 11, 12, or 21 personnel. No reason to think some combo of JJ, Johnson, and Callaway isn’t what you want out there in those situations either.

Size is great and all, but a lot more goes into playing WR than being tall. Not sure I’d call Tillman one of our most physical receivers yet either. Very premature there.

I don’t see many red zone situations where we’re not in 11, 12, or 21 personnel. No reason to think some combo of JJ, Johnson, and Callaway isn’t what you want out there in those situations either.

I was just basing his physicality off reports about what type of receiver he is. He grew 3 inches and gained 30 Lbs from his Jr-Sr season. His best attributes are said to be his size, physicality, toughness and great hands. Helton told him we needed big, physical receivers and wanted him for that reason.I agree, height is only beneficial if you can do all the other things it takes to play WR. But he does come with size, which is something we don't have a lot of at WR. Depending on where Taylor and Thompson ultimately end up we have more Receiver's 6'0 and under than we do over 6'0. Think only 5 of our WR's have more than 1 catch and only 3 with over 20. We seriously lacked physicality at WR last yr, especially when Jennings got hurt. Obviously it was just based off playing in HS and evaluations but size and physicality is supposed to be one of Tillman's strong suits. No guarantee it translates to college.

I definitely believe we see a lot Jennings,Callaway,Johnson and Wood-Anderson in the redzone. Would not be shocked to see Tillman in there too, if he shows the Coach's he's ready to contribute. He brings something we are very short on currently at WR. I love the story on him. Clay Helton found him while visiting one of his teammates and liked him, but was already full. He told him he wanted him but would try and help him out. He was true to his word by telling Tyson about him. Will be an easy guy to pull for.

VN Store

Back