'18 SC WR Bryce Thompson (UT commit 5/30/18)

VolQuest.com - BREAKING: 4-star ATH Bryce Thompson is a Vol, enrolled at Tennessee

It took a minute but finally found where I read that. Basically said he wanted to start at WR, but was willing to move to DB. Wherever he ultimately ends up I think he will be a good player for us.

Nice thanks for that. I was trying to look earlier as well with no success. I know I heard an interview with him just wish I could find it.

I hope I am not mixing up a different recruit.... I've been reading so much VOL stuff....

Last edited:
Size is great and all, but a lot more goes into playing WR than being tall. Not sure I’d call Tillman one of our most physical receivers yet either. Very premature there.

I don’t see many red zone situations where we’re not in 11, 12, or 21 personnel. No reason to think some combo of JJ, Johnson, and Callaway isn’t what you want out there in those situations either.

Darth, I am just basing his physicality on his highlight tape that I watched. Showed him going up for multiple jump balls and easily out jumping his cover man.

I think right now the only receivers we have that go up and get the ball consistently are Jennings and Callaway. Hopefully Tillman is another addition to the jump ball squad.

Darth, I am just basing his physicality on his highlight tape that I watched. Showed him going up for multiple jump balls and easily out jumping his cover man.

I think right now the only receivers we have that go up and get the ball consistently are Jennings and Callaway. Hopefully Tillman is another addition to the jump ball squad.

Physicality in route running is more important than going for a jump ball IMO. Helps you be able to make catches without having to have a jump ball situation.

Physicality in route running is more important than going for a jump ball IMO. Helps you be able to make catches without having to have a jump ball situation.

I believe that is also true, but his size sort of depicts that he will be physical in route running. Not many corners weigh 200+ pounds and Tillman as a Freshman WR is already there. That's hard to handle for any CB.

He isn't slow either, he is quick so that's a good thing for him.

I don't know how strong he is but with his frame it shouldn't be hard to put muscle on.

Nice thanks for that. I was trying to look earlier as well with no success. I know I heard an interview with him just wish I could find it.

I hope I am not mixing up a different recruit.... I've been reading so much VOL stuff....

Same here man. Living in Ala I have to rely on VN and numerous Vol media sites to find out everything going on. It starts running together after a while. He probably gets look at both positions, then they decide from there. But he does probably see the field quicker at Corner. On the other hand we don't have any proven playmaker's at WR so he could potentially be that also.

While WR is the preferred position for both Tae and Thompson, I get the sense that Thompson is more flexible. We need help in the secondary. The coaches tried Byrd, Gray and CFA at CB, but none stood out. They brought in George for depth, but we still need more speed. Thompson seems like he could be the guy. Wouldn't be surprised to see Tae and Thompson both be two-way players, though, especially if they want early PT.

Reactions: 3 people

Give brandon a chance to get some of those 50/50 balls and u guys will see how high he jumps. he has a 6'9 wingspan.

Reactions: 1 person
L2XV.gif

Reactions: 5 people
Give brandon a chance to get some of those 50/50 balls and u guys will see how high he jumps. he has a 6'9 wingspan.

I'm not hating on Brandon one bit. I think he is the most complete receiver out of the bunch. He is our go to guy if we need a first down.

Very good routes. He will be targeted more this year with an improved O-Line and more threats for defenses to cover and scheme for.

Think with the system we had last year it is unfair to properly evaluate any WR.. Seems to me like Callaway has some serious potential. Brandon seems like a valuable, dependable slot option. Also think Palmer showed some serious potential last year. He got past guys vertically quite a bit just couldn't finish the play.

Think we have a lot of potential at the WR position this year.

Route running was awful last year. It was like backyard ball-- the play would break down and if the QB saw an open guy, he'd fling up the ball and see if the receiver could haul it in. We have the talent to be so much better than we were at WR.

Reactions: 5 people
Route running was awful last year. It was like backyard ball-- the play would break down and if the QB saw an open guy, he'd fling up the ball and see if the receiver could haul it in. We have the talent to be so much better than we were at WR.

Exactly.

While WR is the preferred position for both Tae and Thompson, I get the sense that Thompson is more flexible. We need help in the secondary. The coaches tried Byrd, Gray and CFA at CB, but none stood out. They brought in George for depth, but we still need more speed. Thompson seems like he could be the guy. Wouldn't be surprised to see Tae and Thompson both be two-way players, though, especially if they want early PT.

CFA actually will provide depth and special teams help. He had a good spring at CB relatively speaking.

Gray: Will always be just special teams.

Byrd is the biggest disappointment. Way too much ability to be a starter somewhere in year 3.

Thompson and Taylor need to both be on the field as much as possible. Offense and defense.

Agree about JJ and Callaway being our only jump ball guys. If something happens to either of them, maybe Tillman gets some looks in jump ball situations.

Still, I'm skeptical that he takes much or any PT from our top 4 guys. Winning jump balls against HS DBs in Nevada and having to block, get off press coverage, create separation, and win jump balls against SEC DBs are very different tasks.

Has changed his bio on Twitter to "Cornerback @ The University of Tennessee". Looks like he has moved to the defensive side of the ball for the time being.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back