WR Coach Hired [Kevin Beard from FIU]

Yep, those were some good teams. Doesnt add anything to his limited wr coaching experience, which is my only concern. Im sure we will be okay though. Hopefully he helps in recruiting as well

Coaching is one thing. BUT CAN HE TEACH. For me this is the big question. For me our guys, for some years have not been taught very much. Teach'um, then coaching'um becomes much easier.

I like this hire and I'll give Butch props, it seems he's upgraded this staff. Certainly a question mark on how Larry Scott does but if this team can actually stay healthy I think they have a chance to be very good and surprise some people. Provided Jones doesn't trip over some of his highly questionable on the field decisions that is.

He was OC at USF. We didn't hire him based on that. How he fit in during his season as a QC seems to have more bearing. A guy that has coached OL for over 20 years is not a lark hire IMO. He obviously had a ton of good references.

This is partly incorrect. He was OC his first season at USF, but then he was demoted to O-line coach his 2nd season. He was fired at the end of that 2nd season after the offense continued to struggle. The season was capped off with a terrible 16-0 beating by a mediocre UCF team that held USF to 5 rushing yards.

Link

I'm not saying he won't work out. All I'm saying is, I like the vast majority of the new hires (Gullickson, Hoke, Warren, Scott promotion, Beard), but the Wells hire stands out like a sore thumb to me. He has coached on a lot of bad offenses. Article below provides a good summation of his career (albeit, in annoying slideshow fashion).

FanSided: The Good and the Bad of the Walt Wells Hire

The article points out that he has had some success producing top-quality linemen, but also highlights his lack of offensive success at many stops, and lack of experience at this level. I'm not sold on the Wells hire, but I'm hoping for the best. I like all the other hires. Even Canales (who seems like an odd hire), I'm mostly optimistic about.

Reactions: 2 people
That was in my opinion the greatest college team of all time.Future NFL players all over the two or even three deep

Yup. 17 first round draft picks and 38 players overall. That was a hell of a team, they dominated both sides of the ball.

Perfect!!!

High School recruiting in Florida needs to be a very high priority....perhaps the # 1 priority,

First time poster here.

I am very familiar with Beard and the South Florida recruiting scene, so I can provide a little insight for those not in the know.

Beard is very raw in terms of coaching. Does he know the position enough to be a WR coach? Yes. But does he deserve to be a WR-coach at a high level P5 school considering his resume currently? That is the real question and the risk that Butch is taking with this hire.

Being that his coaching ability is limited to one season and one season only, the sample size is too limited to actually give an a very honest opinion. The receivers did get better from 2014 to 2015 during his tenure. However the receivers got even better from 2015 to 2016 after his tenure, so take that however you want. I would give his grade an incomplete.

However, recruiting is a different beast. Results from coaching hires can be felt immediately. On the recruiting front, I don't know where the reports that he a great recruiter or that his recruiting is a plus are coming from. If anything, he struggle in that regard during his limited opportunities. Beard spent two seasons at UM. One in football operations and the other as the WR coach. Sam Bruce and Jordan Scarlett was probably the two highest ranked players associated with Beard during his time at UM since he coached both of them at University school. Bruce signed with UM even after Beard was fired. Scarlett was committed to UM then flip to Florida at the last second.

Now, he does have the relationships in the South Florida community to become a very good recruiter, but there hasn't been a thing of significance that Beard has done to date to even warrant that status of "Great Recruiter".

I love Beard during his playing days and wish him well as a coach. The potential is there for this to be a great hire, but I can understand both sides of the equation in terms of people being happy for the hire and people having pause for the hire as well.

Reactions: 5 people
I think Butch looks for his receivers to start in that ready position, and he looks for WR coaches that focus on that.

Keyser Söze;13606915 said:
First time poster here.

I am very familiar with Beard and the South Florida recruiting scene, so I can provide a little insight for those not in the know.

Beard is very raw in terms of coaching. Does he know the position enough to be a WR coach? Yes. But does he deserve to be a WR-coach at a high level P5 school considering his resume currently? That is the real question and the risk that Butch is taking with this hire.

Being that his coaching ability is limited to one season and one season only, the sample size is too limited to actually give an a very honest opinion. The receivers did get better from 2014 to 2015 during his tenure. However the receivers got even better from 2015 to 2016 after his tenure, so take that however you want. I would give his grade an incomplete.

However, recruiting is a different beast. Results from coaching hires can be felt immediately. On the recruiting front, I don't know where the reports that he a great recruiter or that his recruiting is a plus are coming from. If anything, he struggle in that regard during his limited opportunities. Beard spent two seasons at UM. One in football operations and the other as the WR coach. Sam Bruce and Jordan Scarlett was probably the two highest ranked players associated with Beard during his time at UM since he coached both of them at University school. Bruce signed with UM even after Beard was fired. Scarlett was committed to UM then flip to Florida at the last second.

Now, he does have the relationships in the South Florida community to become a very good recruiter, but there hasn't been a thing of significance that Beard has done to date to even warrant that status of "Great Recruiter".

I love Beard during his playing days and wish him well as a coach. The potential is there for this to be a great hire, but I can understand both sides of the equation in terms of people being happy for the hire and people having pause for the hire as well.

Brah...first post...you better learn quick anything but ultimate praise will get you in a group with me and a few others. You better erase this trash and say that beard is the greatest wr coach of all time.

Jk, nice wrote up and welcome to the board

Reactions: 3 people
You dont need to tell me anything.
Alrighty then mister big boy's pants. Enough already...OK? These last few weeks you've been prognosticating as if you possess a vast amount of bona fide experience regarding the ins-and-outs of college football. All I've seen from your posts are off-the-cuff remarks by a semi-fan (One with seemingly very little hands-on experience) who's got an axe to grind with CBJ, along with anybody and everybody he's chosen for his staff. Do one thing. Make us out a list about the positive aspects you've found within UT's football program. All else we've heard are your bones of contention. Can you do that?

And...figuring you're expecting my take as well, I'll provide a snippet for you now.

Butch came to UT knowing he had very little to work with, along with an abnormally hostile fan base; one which has a larger than normal group who're always wanting their coaches "fahred." Nonetheless, Butch took on this ominous task; was more than willing to climb a steep learning curve. He's faced numerous debacles... particularly in the injury department...and has addressed each and every one of them. Unlike a handful of VN's negas who can't allow themselves to admit it, (Yep. You're right in there with 'em, like BeardedVol & Wylo & Catbone & Fade & 08 &......help me out here fellow shameless SS pumpers...) team 120 actually deserved the hype piled on them nationwide. However, it takes a pretty sore butted bunch to deny the litany of train wrecks that befell these young men. If you dismiss the injury pandemic, then you're deaf, dumb and blind...all three.CBJ and CBS lamented early-on about the not-there-yet depth problem, and with a roster that changed...literally...week-to-week, this team's chemistry never, ever gelled. Shoop's 3-4 defenses (as do most all others) require DE's that shed blockers and either seal off the outside or rush the QB. They aren't necessarily proficient at pushing out offensive linemen to open gaps for LBs, or alternatively holding off areas to disallow holes for RBs. Nonetheless, Shoop was stuck with the absurd task telling his DEs to morph into DTs...generally with only a week's of less notice. That's impossible. Hurd's and P-Willy's bloated egos had nothing to do with their coaches. Those aren't excuses, young fella'. They're facts. I'm not a prophet and certainly don't expect folks to take me all that seriously, but at least I played a lot and coached a little and can see that you and the aforementioned monkeys don't have a leg to stand on with all that self-appointed expertise. I don't hold you in contempt since you've been exposed to bamma rays and drink that tide water. Just relax and have a snack. AMIRIGHT?:yes:

Alrighty then mister big boy's pants. Enough already...OK? These last few weeks you've been prognosticating as if you possess a vast amount of bona fide experience regarding the ins-and-outs of college football. All I've seen from your posts are off-the-cuff remarks by a semi-fan (One with seemingly very little hands-on experience) who's got an axe to grind with CBJ, along with anybody and everybody he's chosen for his staff. Do one thing. Make us out a list about the positive aspects you've found within UT's football program. All else we've heard are your bones of contention. Can you do that?

And...figuring you're expecting my take as well, I'll provide a snippet for you now.

Butch came to UT knowing he had very little to work with, along with an abnormally hostile fan base; one which has a larger than normal group who're always wanting their coaches "fahred." Nonetheless, Butch took on this ominous task; was more than willing to climb a steep learning curve. He's faced numerous debacles... particularly in the injury department...and has addressed each and every one of them. Unlike a handful of VN's negas who can't allow themselves to admit it, (Yep. You're right in there with 'em, like BeardedVol & Wylo & Catbone & Fade & 08 &......help me out here fellow shameless SS pumpers...) team 120 actually deserved the hype piled on them nationwide. However, it takes a pretty sore butted bunch to deny the litany of train wrecks that befell these young men. If you dismiss the injury pandemic, then you're deaf, dumb and blind...all three.CBJ and CBS lamented early-on about the not-there-yet depth problem, and with a roster that changed...literally...week-to-week, this team's chemistry never, ever gelled. Shoop's 3-4 defenses (as do most all others) require DE's that shed blockers and either seal off the outside or rush the QB. They aren't necessarily proficient at pushing out offensive linemen to open gaps for LBs, or alternatively holding off areas to disallow holes for RBs. Nonetheless, Shoop was stuck with the absurd task telling his DEs to morph into DTs...generally with only a week's of less notice. That's impossible. Hurd's and P-Willy's bloated egos had nothing to do with their coaches. Those aren't excuses, young fella'. They're facts. I'm not a prophet and certainly don't expect folks to take me all that seriously, but at least I played a lot and coached a little and can see that you and the aforementioned monkeys don't have a leg to stand on with all that self-appointed expertise. I don't hold you in contempt since you've been exposed to bamma rays and drink that tide water. Just relax and have a snack. AMIRIGHT?:yes:
Lol...boy you really wasted alot of time.lol

Lol...mister big boy pants.....man you really done showed me....lol

Im my moment of boredom, i actually took the time to read your nonsense. I understand the self esteem issues you may face and hopefully calling people names on the internet helps you cope.

Before you started your little rant did you take the time to note that i said several positive things about the coach before saying that he has little coaching experince would be my concern? Certainly you missed that. But please continue your rants, they make me laugh big fella.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Brah...first post...you better learn quick anything but ultimate praise will get you in a group with me and a few others. You better erase this trash and say that beard is the greatest wr coach of all time.

Jk, nice wrote up and welcome to the board

funny-pictures-nobody-knows-the-trouble-kitten-has-seen1.jpg

Reactions: 9 people
After watching some of his youTube videos and hearing about his connection to talent rich Florida, I like the hire..

Keyser Söze;13606915 said:
First time poster here.

The fact that he knows multiple coaching staffs in talent rich broward and dade county can help him get his foot in the door at schools we haven't been in since Brent Schaffer at Deerfield beach high days

Reactions: 1 person
Lol...boy you really wasted alot of time.lol

Lol...mister big boy pants.....man you really done showed me....lol

Im my moment of boredom, i actually took the time to read your nonsense. I understand the self esteem issues you may face and hopefully calling people names on the internet helps you cope.

Before you started your little rant did you take the time to note that i said several positive things about the coach before saying that he has little coaching experince would be my concern? Certainly you missed that. But please continue your rants, they make me laugh big fella.
No rants, junior. Just a grown man wasting his time (I admit) attempting to instruct a spoiled rotten somebody-wannabe. Come-uppances are difficult to swallow. 'Just hope you don't choke to death. Have a snack.

The truth is a average hire on the same day you hire a average AD the truth is we had a chance to go get the man that has won the only NC in the last 65 years and go get a dude at that powerhouse K STATE we just are not a elite program anymore and the higher up's don't care because the fans will still be there on Saturday sometime the truth hurts and this is one of them.

VN Store

Back