WR Coach Hired [Kevin Beard from FIU]

According to Bruce Feldman:

Bruce Feldman‏Verified account @BruceFeldmanCFB 4m4 minutes ago SOURCE: WR coach Kevin Beard is leaving #FIU staff & is expected to become #Tennessee's new WR coach. 1st reported by Peter Ariz.

Reuniting with CLS, good hire. Staff is promising, we'll see. :thumbsup:

I believe Coach Scott knows what he's doing by bringing coach Beard up to TN. Seems to be a good hire. I remember watching Beard play the WR position at Miami. I bet he knows more about coaching the position than a lot on here are giving him credit.

Reactions: 4 people
I imagine you had to be pretty dang good to get touches at all on that Miami team...

Yep, those were some good teams. Doesnt add anything to his limited wr coaching experience, which is my only concern. Im sure we will be okay though. Hopefully he helps in recruiting as well

Yep, those were some good teams. Doesnt add anything to his limited wr coaching experience, which is my only concern. Im sure we will be okay though. Hopefully he helps in recruiting as well

Did you have much faith in the coaching ability of the prior WR coach? I sure didn't...

All the offensive hires have Scott's hands all over them, so he'll live or die by the quality of these hires. Beard sounds like a good hire, but I think there's definitely more of a "wait-and-see" factor with the offensive coaches than the defensive coaches (who are more proven).

Wells is the one who I'm a bit concerned about. He didn't exactly have a lot of success at USF, and Taggart fired him. On paper, Mahoney has a better track record, but the O-line really underperformed last season (and probably 3.5 out of 4 seasons that Mahoney was here). Some of it wasn't Mahoney's fault (Dooley left little talent behind), but we shouldn't still have been having such huge issues in Year 4. I'm just not sure that Wells is an upgrade, but we'll see.

Reactions: 1 person
Coach Beard seems to know the position, engages his players, he pushes them and the commends them. Working well with Coach Scott and being a recruiting asset sounds good to me. I believe we have talent and a new set of eyes and voice in the coaching position should help.

Reactions: 2 people
Did you have much faith in the coaching ability of the prior WR coach? I sure didn't...

I dont have much faith in the coaching staff as a whole and hiring a wr coach with very little experince does nothing to change that. I wish him well and im sure we will bring some positive energy and such. I would think the players will respond well to a former player turned coach. I also think, being a relatively young African American coach helps, not only on the field, but off the field, as he can relate to the players easily.

But at the end of the day the only thing that keeps all these guys around is winning at a high level and i have little faith that or current staff will get us to that leve, and Coach Beard does little to move that peg for me.

I dont have much faith in the coaching staff as a whole and hiring a wr coach with very little experince does nothing to change that. I wish him well and im sure we will bring some positive energy and such. I would think the players will respond well to a former player turned coach. I also think, being a relatively young African American coach helps, not only on the field, but off the field, as he can relate to the players easily.

But at the end of the day the only thing that keeps all these guys around is winning at a high level and i have little faith that or current staff will get us to that leve, and Coach Beard does little to move that peg for me.

Well if you've currently written off the current staff, then this is the perfect hire for you. Even without extensive coaching experience, he's extremely well-regarded as a recruiter. Might as well load up the cupboard if you think a new staff will be in place in a year or two...

Well if you've currently written off the current staff, then this is the perfect hire for you. Even without extensive coaching experience, he's extremely well-regarded as a recruiter. Might as well load up the cupboard if you think a new staff will be in place in a year or two...

Where did i say any of that?

Did you even watch the videos of him coaching his WR's??? Guy can flat out coach experience is not necessary when you know the position....and his recruiting is a huge plus

Did you even watch the videos of him coaching his WR's??? Guy can flat out coach experience is not necessary when you know the position....and his recruiting is a huge plus

Ok, the guy has little wr coaching experience. That is simply a fact, its not meant to be negative or positive, its simply a fact. If watching a video is enough to sell you, great.

Reactions: 1 person
Ok, the guy has little wr coaching experience. That is simply a fact, its not meant to be negative or positive, its simply a fact. If watching a video is enough to sell you, great.

Ahh you're one of those experience guys I get it...but if you don't think he is an upgrade of coach z well then I don't know what to tell you

VN Store

Back